No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Procedural generation was and still is in many cases my kryptonite, when it makes sense to have it like No mans sky its grand. but in many game the whole endless replayability is basically saying....here is the same few building blocks repeated over and over so while the layouts look different it still looks all the same.

I would much have well designed levels or perhaps a combination of design and procedural Like perhaps what Warframe does

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
      Procedural generation was and still is in many cases my kryptonite, when it makes sense to have it like No mans sky its grand. but in many game the whole endless replayability is basically saying....here is the same few building blocks repeated over and over so while the layouts look different it still looks all the same.
      The problem I specifically have with "Roguelike + Metroidvania" is that Roguelike tends to involve an element of procedural generation, and Metroidvania games tend to thrive on their level design.

That's not to say it can't be good. Various games have done it well. But you're right that sometimes, procedural levels are just a developer excuse to make a load of level assets, then roll dice to randomly recombine them into levels, rather than a human doing proper level design.

Comment

Procedural can be done right, like Hades, were it's built into the lore, or of course No Man's sky. One on the fence for me is Dead Cells, which I think would work best with set maps rather than random. There is no reason for it, and the challenge of the game means you can end up dying and never getting a chance to learn from that mistake.
        Metroid, castlevania and bloodstained all have set level designs which you need to learn and master to get through.
        Asura is right, neither should mix really.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          Asura is right, neither should mix really.
          Thing is, it's fine to mix, if the developer understands why these two things stand in opposition and they're going to do something clever with it. The problem is that some don't.

I find that level design is one of the more misunderstood parts of videogame development. I've played games that are conceptually middling but absolutely saved by having levels that are a joy to play through, and similarly, games with interesting mechanics that are a boring slog.

Comment

Procedural Generation is a great one. It's a literal guarantee that I'll skip your game if you mention it in your new releases description.

Comment

You can add this as a gaming irk depending on the response this question receives:

So, people keep holding out for physical releases of new releases or even some that have been available for some time whether generally released or part of some limited edition run. When these physical editions are released, are they typically the final product or do they require downloaded patches, content when installing/running for the first time?

Because if they do...

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                The problem I specifically have with "Roguelike + Metroidvania" is that Roguelike tends to involve an element of procedural generation, and Metroidvania games tend to thrive on their level design.

That's not to say it can't be good. Various games have done it well.
                You know one game that DIDN'T? That Is It Wrong To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon game on PS4. 30 floor post game dungeons, proceedurally generated, but with no logic. Like you could get trapped in a narrow passageway with enemies on either side of you that can one hit kill you. And this could happen on floor one, or right before the exit on floor 30.

Comment

Irk of mine past few years, Early access, open betas while can be good are now getting to this weird situation of games being cancelled before they have actually been finished.

Always felt there is only a one time usually to make a good impression and what made me think this was The Multiverse Open beta, player numbers have dropped off and I suspect it will get cancelled before it gets to the "Full " version

Early access is such a mine field though some games have done well and others have done terrible but I think with early access the game released has to be such a quality to keep people like with Valheim

Comment

WWE2k23, started the game the presentation was great and all...but when you get into the game to me personally it looks rough, like the graphics have hardly progressed over the years, the faces just look weird and the animation and everything i am still getting that deja vu feeling from previous game

Comment

So about every 6 months i give Star citizen a look and usually the loading takes so long or the performance tanks even on low and i quit,so again booted it up......waiting 10 min for it to load and its on a SSD and i gave up and booted up Everspace 2 instead

Comment

Jedi survivor has now failed on the download 4 times half way through. I really don’t have time for this EA so it’s being returned until it’s peanuts.

Really ruined this game launch for me on what should be a simple install and play of a single player adventure.

Comment

The DF analysis of this looks terrible.
                          Sub 800p in performance mode and still doesn't hit 60fps, on ps5. And 155gb size?! Trash

Comment

I got a refund for it yesterday. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get past the EA launcher and, when I did, it would barely play on either my PC or my Steam Deck.

Comment

Just absolutely crap for everyone involved. Never again day 1 outside Sony in house or Nintendo in house, every dev has blown their good will with me now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                I got a refund for it yesterday. Spent 1.5 hours trying to get past the EA launcher and, when I did, it would barely play on either my PC or my Steam Deck.
                                Have you seen EAs response to the pc issues? Apparently it's because of low spec CPUs. I guess all those people having issues on an overclocked Core i9 need to upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                                X