No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Mario Odyssey have a much worse and inconvenient file management system than the 25 year old Mario 64?

Comment

After a week or so sabbatical from Ass-Cree-Valhalla I got an email from Ubisoft along the lines of 'Hey, Viking, come back, there's still much to do' ... followed by some stats:

Time played: 50odd hours
      Map Explored: 8%

It's remarkable value for money but it's just sooooooo vast.

Not really an irk ... but a shock. Even it I'd opened 50% of the map I'd be feeling like there was still a huge amount to go ... but 8

Comment

Honestly the scale of those games just puts me off. It just feels like so much busywork.

Comment

My irk would be Ubisoft games overall. I'm not far into Watch Dogs Legion and I just can't. There's nothing I can pinpoint as wrong but like pretty much every game from them all gen it reeks of design by committee, a sprawling mass of soulless chore like tickboxing. I swear they have some sort of procedural game engine that just spits their games out these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
            My irk would be Ubisoft games overall. I'm not far into Watch Dogs Legion and I just can't. There's nothing I can pinpoint as wrong but like pretty much every game from them all gen it reeks of design by committee, a sprawling mass of soulless chore like tickboxing. I swear they have some sort of procedural game engine that just spits their games out these days.
            Agreed. Like they have a game formula engine that they just feed parameters into and more **** comes out.

Comment

Soon it'll just need drop down menus to select a time period, multiplayer or cars only

Modern Day = Watch Dogs 4!
              Other time Period = Assassin's Creed 13!
              Multiplayer = The Division 3!
              Cars only = The Crew 3!

It would explain why the cars don't feel good in the Crew too

Comment

Yet the game where this worked the best was Starlink.

My biggest gaming irk of recent years was how that didn't take off. I thought it was marvellous.

Comment

It's a weird model, I get it given their output but it's killed Assassin's Creed for me which for me has never been worse as a series than it is now. I think the last game I really enjoyed from them was Mario + Rabbids, before that... *shrug*. It's another reason why I don't care if BG&E2 ever makes it out, it's already clearly naff all like the entry I cared about

Comment

// AC Black Flag 2
                    //#include "car.h"
                    #include "timelines.h"
                    #include "egypt.h"
                    //#include "modern.h"
                    #include "historical.h"
                    #include "boats.h"

// The Crew 4
                    #include "car.h"
                    //#include "timelines.h"
                    //#include "egypt.h"
                    #include "modern.h"
                    //#include "historical.h"
                    //#include "boats.h"

// Ubisoft Party Smash Fun Time!
                    #include "car.h"
                    #include "timelines.h"
                    #include "egypt.h"
                    #include "karts.h"
                    #include "modern.h"
                    #include "historical.h"
                    #include "boats.h"

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees this.
                      There'll be an AI that picks random story elements from a selection of a few hundred sentences and glues them together too.

#59: we are sending you back to [insert time here], so that...
                      #807: we can find clue to the missing [insert mcguffin name] and
                      #97: discover who killed [insert name here]
                      Last edited by Cassius_Smoke; 28-04-2021, 15:49.

Comment

Just the other day I was admiring my 21-year-old play data on SNK vs. Capcom: MOTM.

Just now my 3-year-old wiped it by messing around trying to get into the game. :/ It's astonishing how, considering it takes concerted effort to get to that part of the menu and confirm the action not once, but two times.

Comment

Ouch. But also, letting a 3 year old loose with that sort of data 🤷

Comment

I know! I was just about to swap the cart around for Real Bout, as the MOTM cart label is beginning to show minor wear.

Comment

Credit for figuring it out though, i can still never remember how to reset the data of Advance Wars on the cart no matter how many times i do it.

Comment

Games being spoiled literally within 24 hours on release on social media and websites. Twitter and Youtube especially literally seen loads of videos in "recommended" which would spoil certain aspects of Resi evil 8, willing to bet within the next few days will see spoilers on sites like Kotaku in the topic title

Comment

Working...
                                X