No announcement yet.

Gaming irks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan made games which look promising while still early in development and of course once it becomes known the good old cease and desist

Playing one now called Sonic Smackdown a fighting game in unreal engine and it is really good, I know Sega are a bit more lenient then most but i suspect it will get taken down at some point which is a shame as unlike many indie fighting games it has a great feel to it

Comment

Sitting down to finally get some game time in then falling asleep in the chair in the first 10 minutes only to wake up with a sore neck at 3 in the morning. Happens too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
        Sitting down to finally get some game time in then falling asleep in the chair in the first 10 minutes only to wake up with a sore neck at 3 in the morning. Happens too often.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
            Yeah, I've had this issue with some older Steam games. Some are absolutely unplayable on any modern system. They won't even boot up. And it seems weird that they can sell them in that case.
            It's really not on. I bought Kingpin on Steam recently, as I hadn't played it for years and fancied a go after I found the old box in the loft, sans disc. Wouldn't even boot, which, ridiculously, turns out to be a known issue. It took a bit hunting a lot of faff to track down an unofficial fix that makes the game run. They're effectively selling games they know don't work, which is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
              Playing one now called Sonic Smackdown a fighting game in unreal engine and it is really good, I know Sega are a bit more lenient then most but i suspect it will get taken down at some point which is a shame as unlike many indie fighting games it has a great feel to it
              I tried it, and it's pretty good!

It might weather the storm. That My Little Pony one from a few years ago got a C&D, but came back as Them's Fightin' Herds, which was apparently a pretty good fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
                It's really not on. I bought Kingpin on Steam recently, as I hadn't played it for years and fancied a go after I found the old box in the loft, sans disc. Wouldn't even boot, which, ridiculously, turns out to be a known issue. It took a bit hunting a lot of faff to track down an unofficial fix that makes the game run. They're effectively selling games they know don't work, which is wrong.
                Dragon age on Origin doesn’t install the required physx package. Hasn’t done for years. They still sell it in this known, broken state.

To
                Counteract this gaming irk though DA:O runs at max setting on my new (new to me) thinkpad T470s which is fabulous! I mean this is a business laptop really. I know it’s an old game now but it looks sweet still.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                  I tried it, and it's pretty good!

It might weather the storm. That My Little Pony one from a few years ago got a C&D, but came back as Them's Fightin' Herds, which was apparently a pretty good fighter.
                  Yup its really good i was a backer though there was a bit of a worry last year but seems to be back on track now

Comment

More Irks, Level scaling i really hate that and to me it defeats the point in a lot of ways in Levelling up

Arena fighters ala Jumpforce,Kill la Kill If,Dragon ball Xenoverse. Sure some of them are fun but i get a tremendous feeling of Deja vu when playing them.

One more recent Irk is just how many companies are trying to do there own Dark souls ...when i would rather they do there own Devil may cry or Bayonetta

Comment

Buying a physical copy of a game and it doesn't have a manual, because they've done the manual digitally, but the manual isn't just stored on the game disc, it's a PDF file hosted on the website of the publisher and if you're really lucky it might still be there in a year or two but it's more likely you're looking at a "sorry, this file no longer exists" message.

Comment

Originally posted by Hirst View Post
                        Buying a physical copy of a game and it doesn't have a manual, because they've done the manual digitally, but the manual isn't just stored on the game disc, it's a PDF file hosted on the website of the publisher and if you're really lucky it might still be there in a year or two but it's more likely you're looking at a "sorry, this file no longer exists" message.
                        I remember when manuals were colour and had a backstory printed and some lore, maybe even a tips phone number at the back. Then they turned B&W and thin with just the controllers and some story. Then gone completely.

Comment

Often, in the space the manual would normally inhabit, you'll just get a thin sliver of paper with the game artwork on the front and a code for a free 'exclusive' weapon skin or helmet on the back.

What narks me is how flimsy the outer cases have become, budget DVDs have more robust boxes. All you have to do is slightly press an XB1 game box and it'll crack or crumple. You never got that with PS2 games!!!...

...until the last few waves of software where you got these really flimsy, brittle PAL PS2 boxes. Happened with 360, too, plastic like Magnum chocolate.

I understand there's a plastic crisis so maybe that's a reason they became less plaggy, less plastickier. Would much prefer them smooth, cardboard PS1 boxes that stuff like Mortal Kombat 3 came in. They were lush. You could even have wooden disc spindles. Aaaaah, the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            I remember when manuals were colour and had a backstory printed and some lore, maybe even a tips phone number at the back. Then they turned B&W and thin with just the controllers and some story. Then gone completely.
                            We all do man. It’s a massive shame it’s no longer a thing. I have a friend who is really into comics and he has so much nice stuff to buy. With gaming it’s either a somewhat useless disc or massively overpriced tat. No nice middle ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                              I used to love reading the manuals on the bus home, wondering what the actual game would be like. That said, I'd be happy with even basic manuals as long as they exist. With some games they're self-explanatory, but loads of them I end up having to look up things on Google.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
                                Often, in the space the manual would normally inhabit, you'll just get a thin sliver of paper with the game artwork on the front and a code for a free 'exclusive' weapon skin or helmet on the back.

What narks me is how flimsy the outer cases have become, budget DVDs have more robust boxes. All you have to do is slightly press an XB1 game box and it'll crack or crumple. You never got that with PS2 games!!!...

...until the last few waves of software where you got these really flimsy, brittle PAL PS2 boxes. Happened with 360, too, plastic like Magnum chocolate.

I understand there's a plastic crisis so maybe that's a reason they became less plaggy, less plastickier. Would much prefer them smooth, cardboard PS1 boxes that stuff like Mortal Kombat 3 came in. They were lush. You could even have wooden disc spindles. Aaaaah, the environment.
                                I dunno man, the PS1 jewel cases use to shatter in to shards if you even looked at them wrong. I remember picking bits out of my foot when I stood on one in the night.

Comment

Working...
                                X