Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming irks

anyone have any irks that they have come across in games

borderlands claptrap ....the collecting spares missions that felt a really cheap way to lenghen the game

started playing zelda twilight on the wii....need a sling shot.To get the sling shot needed to get a cat...to get the cat needed a fishing rod...to get the fishing rod needed to get a cradle....that just irked me

cave shooters...the score attack mode you HAVE to be online if the connection drops the game ends

-Overly wide tracks in racers (modern Mario Karts are the worst culprits)
    -20 minute game openings that could be done in-game
    -'Horde' sections. Being locked in a room with wave after wave of enemies is not fun
    -Protect 'X' sections. Game killers.

Comment

oh another one is rubber band ai...particulary in racing games that bugs me

Comment

I think I've been spoiled by uncharted 2, any time I see a game installing and then loading for bloody ages between levels (even something like MGS4, or dead rising 2 which is fair enough because its multi platform), I think LAZY.. lazy developers. If naughty dog can make seamless games why can't you? EH? EHHH?

And most modern games having a 1P campaign which is 6 hours long and then 'hours of gameplay with online multiplayer' yes, also lazy, lets get other humans to be the competition instead of making a great single player game. Fair enough a client server model isn't the easiest thing to do, but so many games insist on the online multiplayer aspect today, and I personally couldn't give a **** about it.

DLC also, fine its extending the game, but you feel like you're missing out if you don't buy it and its just an excuse to milk you for more money, theres very little DLC I've actually bought, actually its just the borderlands packs. I'm not paying for new outfits and all that ****e.
        Last edited by kernow; 07-10-2010, 11:37.

Comment

Guard meters infighting games. Never really liked that. If you can break through one's defence, then I really don't see why the game should help you in doing so. Use throws if you're opponent is blocking everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Kongster View Post
            Guard meters infighting games. Never really liked that. If you can break through one's defence, then I really don't see why the game should help you in doing so. Use throws if you're opponent is blocking everything.
            Or pokes..

It makes sense though, it's a consequence. Like attacking too much will leave you open to attack yourself.

I think shmups are one of my gaming irks more recently in that I'm complete arse at them, barely make it to level 3 on most on 1c - and I see that as the only way of completing them! I think the only game I've ever 1ccd is Thunder Force VI. ;(

Also I hate thumbsticks for aiming in FPS on consoles, I just can't be dealing with it over using a mouse..
            Last edited by speedlolita; 07-10-2010, 12:02.

Comment

Generic orchestral music and sound effects not sounding visceral enough piss me off more than anything in games these days. I'm very sensitive to sound and easily influenced by it (a brilliant soundtrack can catapult a game from mediocre to magical in my mind) but it seems the more tools a developer has to create brilliant and memorable soundtracks/sound effects, the lazier they become. It's as if 99% of audio designers draw their 'inspiration' from the same sea of grey.

Comment

Underwater levels.

Comment

The underwater level in sonic annoyed me incredibly. I guess you have to have generic ice/lava/forest/underwater stages all the time. Snore.

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post
                    Underwater levels.
                    Yeah, especially that thing in the water in Mario 64..

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                      I think LAZY.. lazy developers. If naughty dog can make seamless games why can't you? EH? EHHH?
                      Streaming simply isn't an option for all game types. Anything that's linear like Uncharted it's a no brainer. As soon as the player can go off in any direction, it gets a lot harder.

GTA4 does it, but at the cost of any kind of persistance beyond a few 100m from the player.

Oblivion does it, Fable2 doesn't. Fable2 has a lot more going on simulation wise though.

So often it's not always the dev being lazy, but it simply not being possible for the game they're building.

Comment

ok

but honestly DR2 loading a cutscene with an actual loading screen, and then loading back into the game with another screen, it starts to get ridiculous.

Comment

Little enemies:

Headcrabs, Flood, whatever those little ****s are near the beginning of RFOM,
                          the little 'bat' enemies in Metroid Prime, the swarms of little bugs in Time Crisis 4 and others I've no doubts forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                            Generic orchestral music and sound effects not sounding visceral enough piss me off more than anything in games these days. I'm very sensitive to sound and easily influenced by it (a brilliant soundtrack can catapult a game from mediocre to magical in my mind) but it seems the more tools a developer has to create brilliant and memorable soundtracks/sound effects, the lazier they become. It's as if 99% of audio designers draw their 'inspiration' from the same sea of grey.
                            This is all so true. A stunning score can really make the atmosphere of a game. Not only that though, little things like the adding of drums when you ride Yoshi in Super Mario World is simply fantastic. No such innovation now though.

Anyway onto an irk, lighting and the overuse of it on current gen titles. So many of them are totally overblown in the lighting department it drives me nuts. Not just on the HD stuff either. Monster Hunter Tri has a far overblow use of lighting and blurring also. Looks poor in SD and HD.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                              but honestly DR2 loading a cutscene with an actual loading screen, and then loading back into the game with another screen, it starts to get ridiculous.
                              Yeah. That's just being rubbish.

Comment

Working...
                              X