X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Gordon just plumped for Max will let you know how I get on

Comment

Originally posted by toythatkills View Post
      fivehundredaday.co.uk, in which I attempt to write 500 words a day.
      I've just made my 365th post on this blog. Five hundred words every single day for a whole year.

Go me.

Comment

180,000 words! If you haven't got RSI, I want a syringe with your genes in it.

Comment

I also wrote a 100-page script in the middle of the year too, so the actual total is probably a fair bit over 200,000.

And no RSI (yet)

Comment

You must have a nice keyboard, yeah?

Comment

John Szczepaniak novel now on Amazon (epic post-apocalyptic adventure)

Having posted here for a while, and since several know my writing anyway, I thought it would be OK for a little self-promotion. (Normally I write features for Retro Gamer and GamesTM magazines, as well as the HardcoreGaming101.net website, among other random places)

My debut fiction novel, Beyond Aukfontein, has been published on Amazon Kindle. I also made a simple blog about it.

If you liked Fallout 3 or Panzer Dragoon Saga there should be some appeal to it. The book is an epic adventure through a post-apocalyptic world, with some rather interesting situations.

Within the next century, long after The Fall of mankind, new empires have risen from the ashes of the Old World.

Surviving on remnants from South Africa?s disbanded military, Mik is member of a biker gang annihilated by the crew of a mysterious Red Plane, a group targeting specific places across the globe. Mik survives their attack but the marauders kidnap his lover Kimberly, setting him on an odyssey of rescue and revenge. Leaving the city of Aukfontein for the first time he discovers the world is a dangerous and strange place, with Zulu airships, Thai pirates and Soviet officials making life difficult.

The Red Plane leaves a trail of destruction which Mik follows, but it?s also caught the attention of the Soviet Oligarchy, an industrial Titan reclaiming the continents. On his quest Mik is helped by an assortment of friends, such as Seras, former adviser to the Ottoman Empire; the beautiful Catalina of the noble House Corelli, as formidable with a rapier as she is with pistols; and from the Rossiskaya Imperiya he meets Sergei, a morose pilot with a strong sense of honour. Each guided by their own demons, they must band together and put an end to the Red Plane before it fulfils its mission.

As a journalist and former editor at Time Warner I have spent my entire career either writing articles or editing the work of others. But I hadn?t fulfilled my ambition to write a fiction novel ? until I spent two years in my spare time writing Beyond Aukfontein. I filled it with every idea and ounce of creativity I had.

My desire is for people to read it and experience the world I?ve created (it?s 95?000 words over 12 Chapters), so I?ve intentionally set the price low. About ?1.70 on UK Amazon after they?ve added VAT. It should be $2.99 on the US Amazon. There?s also a free preview.

If you read and enjoy it, the best thing you can do is tell other keen readers about it. Write a review, tell your friends, post on other forums you frequent, or blog and tweet about it. As an indie author there?s no big publisher generating publicity for it, so if you enjoy it word of mouth is both valuable and appreciated.

Thanks for your time and, if you take the plunge, enjoy the novel! I spent considerable time formatting it, but if you spot an error, send me a private PM and I can address it for future revisions.

Amazon UK

Amazon USA

Amazon DE

Comment

I'd read this if there was a paper copy! You'll have to buy me a Kindle otherwise. I think you should - it'll be well worth it.

Comment

First of all, congrats. I've often thought about writing a book but never get down to it. How did you find the process?

Secondly, I also don't own a Kindle so can't read it

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    I'd read this if there was a paper copy! You'll have to buy me a Kindle otherwise. I think you should - it'll be well worth it.
                    You can run Kindle books on iPhones, iPads, various other types of phone and tablet devices, and computers, using various free apps.

I would actually buy you a Kindle Prinny, but first I need to buy myself one - I had to use Amazon's PC Kindle reader to proof this.

EDIT:
                    Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                    First of all, congrats. I've often thought about writing a book but never get down to it. How did you find the process?
                    The honest answer? Excruciating. I write articles for a living, but a 100'000 word book over 2 years is like what I imagine passing kidney stones is like. There are times when it doesn't hurt, and other times where you have to grit your teeth and just push on, turning down your friends for drinking or your girlfriend for kinky sex, and just sit there, by yourself, in a room, typing something which people might not even like. Then editing it to make sure it's coherent, that plotlines match up, and a world of other things. Honestly the most difficult thing I've accomplished in my life.

And then there's the actual world of literary agents and publishers, which is something else entirely.
                    Last edited by Sketcz; 27-09-2011, 19:11.

Comment

Buy two! It's nearly Christmas man!

Comment

Congratulation on the novel, Sketcz! It sounds like a fun and interesting read, but unfortunately I'm not a fan of reading books from a computer screen, I prefer the old-fashioned way. If you'll get it printed some day I'll promise to buy a copy.

Btw. how long is 95,000 words in pages?
                        Last edited by Guts; 27-09-2011, 19:13.

Comment

259 pages of A4, according to MS Word. Most agents will only look at between 80k and 110k words for novels, for first time authors. It's not that thick once printed. Couple of centimetres?

Comment

Bought it.

I'll let you know what I think!

Comment

Congrats, I hope to get a Kindle sooner or later ( are colour ones ever coming out?), and will keep a note of the book. I know an author who tried to encourage me to write but it scares the hell out of me.

Comment

Congrats John on completing the novel. Im not much of a kindle man so if it ever gets published I will read it, I admire your dedication and hard work.

A man who knocks back kinky sex, well thats a different level all together.

Seriously though well done .

Comment

Working...
                                X