Vanquish [PS3/Xbox 360]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanquish [PS3/Xbox 360]

If you weren't that inspired by the demo, then the whole game won't change your mind. Without wanting to say it in a derogatory way (as I do like the game) it's a one trick pony with the the ARS activation > shoot > dodge > manage cooldown> repeat formula, being your mainstay. As with the demo, once you go through your boost completely, pretty much the whole enemy AI gang will home in on you.

I'm currently blasting through the Xbox 360 version (will be getting the PS3 version also I much preferred the controller) and at the moment just starting Chapter. 3 Act. 1
    During Act 2 (I think) there's a nice little homage to

Gears of War 2 (well I thought it was) and plays very similar to how it was in Gears.

With reports as to next to no New Game + possibilities (as in keeping your upgraded weapons and no armour power-ups to prolong you boost capabilities, it's a tough sell for people to want to come back to it. Unless they love the sadistic God Hard mode. Or going through for high scoring speed runs, which I presume is the name of the game.

Will report back once I've given the PS3 a good run as to how much difference the lead platform for Vanquish has over the 360 version. Though I'm sure Digital Foundry will do a much in depth study, for those interested in that sort of thing.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

The PS3 is the lead platform?

The 360 Demo felt alot better to me to play, the framerate also seemed stable where as the PS3 version seemed to be all over the place. The 360 version looked a bit better too, The PS3 version seemed much darker and less detailed to me, though guess I could have imagined that.

Comment

Aye,

There's very little in it this time, compared to the travesty that was PS3 Bayonetta (out of the box) which they did remedy somewhat by having an update later on in which you could install it.

Here's the article for the Demo version. With the full version comparison coming up tomorrow.

Comment

And just like that, as quick as a hiccup it's finished.
        My final game timer clocked in at about 4 hours 16 minutes and x 4 deaths on Normal difficulty. I will go on to do some 'God Hard' in a bit, but need a breather.

Final thoughts is that the ending probably come up a little quicker than expected. Plus the fact (story wise) there's not a lot of exposition as to why you're there, why you're going to here. It's just: Enter killroom > clear killroom > next section. Who cares. You're blasting shell-loads of robotic John-Doe's whilst air guitar sliding. It's works for me.
        But who plays a PlatinumGames title for story anyhow.

It's short and sweet. And about as quick as an adrenaline rush lasts, it leaves you wanting more of the experience. No doubt due to the ambiguous ending, Vanquish 2 is more than likely.

Comment

Picked up the game on Wednesday (in France). I haven't unwrapped it yet.

Can anyone with the PS3 version confirm that it has multiple languages on the disc like the demo had? I wouldn't put it past Sega to **** over the whole of France and lock out all other languages. If it is I need to take it back for a refund. Presumably if the UK version is multilanguage, the French one will be too. I want this in English (or, as I did in the demo, German with English subtitles for that Deutschland trench effect).

Tah.
          Last edited by Sketcz; 22-10-2010, 07:15.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
            Picked up the game on Wednesday (in France). I haven't unwrapped it yet.

Can anyone with the PS3 version confirm that it has multiple languages on the disc like the demo had? I wouldn't put it past Sega to **** over the whole of France and lock out all other languages. If it is I need to take it back for a refund. Presumably if the UK version is multilanguage, the French one will be too. I want this in English (or, as I did in the demo, German with English subtitles for that Deutschland trench effect).

Tah.
            I'm getting this today (when postman arrives), so I'll have a check for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              ... Can anyone with the PS3 version confirm that it has multiple languages on the disc like the demo had?...
              Indeed it does:
              Japanese
              English
              Deutsch
              Francais
              Espanol
              Italiano

The game needs a mandatory 2.8 gig install.

Comment

Thanks! Yes, I checked after reading the post, and it's true. Great!

Comment

Loving this (PS3), great fun, good old cheesy scripts of yore, games like this were why we paid big money for imports all those years ago.

Getting the hand of the weapons, boss tactics etc is great fun. It is unrelenting in its pace of constant barrage of shooting, I love it! And on PS3 , it looks great.

And Destructoid gave it 5 out of 10 and hated it...see here

Last edited by jim g; 23-10-2010, 07:24. Reason: add text and linky

Comment

Played an hour or so...

I'm a bit 50/50 with it at the mo'. But I think it's because so much of the mechanics are left for you to discover. Which is great, but at the moment I just bumble straight into a fog of bullets, thinking 'Buuuhh! What cool move should I do???!!1'. Then obviously dying.

It's clicked on a couple of occasions though...and when it does it's blimmin' godly.

Comment

I'm loving this and that review on Destructiod is absolute bull****. Reminds me of the time of PN03 and when God Hand was reviewed.

I'm not finding it difficult at all, i'm zipping rolling, zooming, throwing grenades, rolling, zooming, shooting in one attack.
                      Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 23-10-2010, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero9X View Post
                        I'm loving this and that review on Destructiod is absolute bull****. Reminds me of the time of PN03 and when God Hand was reviewed.

I'm not finding it difficult at all, i'm zipping rolling, zooming, throwing grenades, rolling, zooming, shooting in one attack.
                        yes but you have 4 hands! lol

Comment

I watched my bro play this on his PS3. Its looks really good fun to play, although he completed it in 5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SUMIRE View Post
                            I watched my bro play this on his PS3. Its looks really good fun to play, although he completed it in 5 hours.
                            Thats probably wrong, as the ingame clock isn't accurate.

Comment

Deffo not accurate.

Just finished it on Hard. 7 hours according to the clock, but I've played for more than 10 for sure. Hard isn't easy.

Liked it a freakin lot. Got better the further I went in. Could do with some more bossfights, but the ones there are do not disappoint. Some epic QTE's also and Mikami kept them at a minimum.

Who the hell invited the Chandelier?

By the way, some people might have probs with the Buzzard beater trophy. I finally did it on my third try and here's how:

It seems that the moment he jumps is not timed, but its scripted by how many health you'll deplete by the use of a turret (when he's at 100% he would jump when I shot about 80% off). So what you want to do is bring his health down to about 70% with just your own guns. Then make way for the turret and kill him.

Last edited by saturn-gamer; 23-10-2010, 22:42.

Comment

Working...
                              X