No announcement yet.

Best chili pickles / sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't tried the econa chili sauce, but tried their sweet chili dipping sauce. Dreadful. Tasted actually awful.

Comment

After you raving about the brinjal I was expecting something special - perhaps I was expecting more from it.

The sweet chili dipping sauce is sickly sweet; I don't think you'll find the Econa Indian Original Hot sauce that nice either based on your other chili sauce picks. It's very vinegary and doesn't have much of a flavour over that - it is quite hot (I'd rate it slightly hotter than Blair's Original) but given the variety of sauces out there, there are definitely far better choices in taste terms.

Comment

On the basis of this thread I went and bought some Encona, couldn't remember which was the good one so ended up buying both. The sweet one is truly nasty, but I like the original west indian, pretty hot but not uncomfortably so, but it's very short lived, goes with just about anything though which is in it's favour and dirt cheap too. Once I've ripped through it I think I might branch out - I'm already a chilli sauce convert.

Comment

The sweet chili one is great if used with the right food - Thai or other SE Asian.
          They are not a patch on a proper fresh Thai dipping sauce though.
          I bought a really nice one recently which the woman in the shop said it was a fermented vinegar chili sauce. Really spicy with a great flavour.

Anyone going to the West dean chili fiesta this year?

The page you requested was not found. Perhaps it has moved. You could try looking at the site map, searching for it below, or clicking on one of the other links above.

Comment

Need to find a good spicy dipping or table sauce. Chili sauces are great but you can't easily dip chips or chicken dippers in them.

Any sites that do proper oriental sauces?

Comment

Yeah, I go to West Dean every year.

Comment

Got some new hot sauces today from http://www.hot-headz.com/

The only one I wasn't made keen on was the Rectum Ripper, not due to heat but flavour - it was a bit too peppery and had a chunky texture. The Naga sauce is fabulous though, definitely a hot sauce but the percentage is quite small making it flavoursome and hot. Burn lasted a good while but was never over-powering. Toasty.

Very tempted to get *this* set too - looks good value.
                Last edited by MartyG; 20-04-2011, 19:23.

Comment

Some brilliant names there.

I always prefer more sauce like ones compared to the thinner ones but thin sauces are good for cooking or putting on pizza. May try heading down to Brighton Marina one of these bank holidays to the Chilli store there.

Comment

My latest hot sauce acquisitions ...

Haven't tried the Satan's **** yet, but I can tell you that you don't need very much dragon's blood for phall type hotness.

The Smokin Devil is fabulous, like a BBQ sauce with a good chilli kick to it. A medium hot, and I'd definitely recommend this one for burgers.

The Sting in the Tail has a nice sweet taste, and then the Trinidad Scorpion chillies kick in, giving a nice heat head rush

Comment

Might be different here in Norway, but I'm having trouble imagining what kinds of food warrants all these different types of chili. Do you only eat Mexican food? Love me some hot food myself, but being single and young, I mostly eat frozen pizzas and the like...

Comment

I like spicy food - you can put these sauces with pretty much anything you can imagine, as a dip, mexican, chinese, indian, thai, even with good old fish and chips

They all have different flavours and heat, so it's interesting to try different varieties.

Comment

The Chilli Jam Man which is a small business based here in York make some really really nice jams. The three peaks jam was sooooooo bloody hot I only eat it once.

Comment

They look really interesting - I've not seen that website before, another for the bookmarks.

I know I really do have enough hot sauce to last me the next year at least, but I couldn't resist ordering some of this: http://www.firefoods.co.uk/firemite_sauce.htm - if you like marmite or vegemite, then this is the hot sauce for you. You'll either love it or hate it

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
                              The Chilli Jam Man which is a small business based here in York make some really really nice jams. The three peaks jam was sooooooo bloody hot I only eat it once.

http://thechillijamman.com/product/view/id/8
                              Their Dragon Chili Jam takes the 3 Peaks and adds birds eye chillis to the naga underbelly.

Comment

I've been sent a link to yet another chilli plant / sauce producer. Looks like they have some really interesting varieties of plants you can buy, as well as this product: http://tinyurl.com/5sqdd5w - how could you not want that on toast for breakfast?

Comment

Working...
                                X