Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best chili pickles / sauces

Here are my picks:

Brinjal Pickle (aubergine) - just amazing. Taste sensation.
    Scotch bonnet pickle - really hot, but still a distinct flavour that I keep coming back to.
    Hot Pear Chutney Just like my Nan used to make, although hers was a little better (I think she added mace).
    Hotter than hell - really smokey flavour, use sparingly with caution (please note, I can eat hot stuff, I'm not mucking about with this warning)
    Original thrilli - not particularly hot, but goes well with lots of different foods.
    Thrilli green pickle - tasted some at the chili festival and had to have some - garlic overdose with amazing spice combo. The first jar I got went mental and fizzed up when I opened it.... ooops. Replacement jar is good though!
    Ninja monkey - wasabi and naga. Top!

What are your faves?

Like spicy stuff but I'm not a chutney person.

Need to really get a proper hot sauce. Tried some of the Nandos ultra hot sauce and it was rubbish (in terms of spice, tasted fairly nice). If I'm able to dip my finger in the sauce to taste it and that isn't enough to get me panting, they're doing it wrong.

There's a dedicated chilli place in Brighton Marina that does the most extreme stuff, should get some hot sauce from there. I prefer the stuff that has strong flavour to go with the spice though.

Incidentally, spiciest retail chilli con carne: Staag dynamite hot. proper hot and it puts all the so called 'vindaloos' the supermarkets do to shame.

Any advice with the spiciest stuff about how to avoid agony and Johnny Cash related puns 2 hours on? Heard drinking lots of milk can be good for it.

Comment

Encona for me. Love it in cooking or a dip for celery etc. Only have to smell it and my mouth's watering like mad.

Comment

The best chilli sauce for me is easily Marie Sharps from Belize.
        I used to virtually live on the stuff when out there.

I seem to remember the Medium was much hotter than the Hot for some bizarre reason.

Comment

Another vote for encona here. I use it in cooking a lot, lovely for spicing up things like pasta dishes etc.

Comment

This is my choice for chilli chutney:

Fantastic sweet and spicy, and goes with anything.

For Chilli sauce there is only one contender as far as I'm concerned:

Again very versitile and there is even a chipotle edition which has a bit more fire. It's not blow your head off, and as a result it's fine to have all the time without any nasty after effects. The king of hot sauces.

Comment

Originally posted by Skull Commander View Post
              This is my choice for chilli chutney:

Fantastic sweet and spicy, and goes with anything.

I had to stop buying this stuff because I was using it on absolutely everything, its lovely and has a decent kick too, the bottle is dumb though because you can never get the last bit out

I haven't tried the brown version of it. Encona is a staple in the house but theres also some daves insanity sauce as well ... for some reason.

Comment

Daves Insanity actually removed a grease stain from a concrete floor in a warehouse. It's just too hot to be enjoyable.

Comment

I dunno if what is nice or not but after watching a few episodes of Man vs Food I am going for some ghost chilli sauce to test myself. I can take Habanero sauce OK but hearing bad ass (literally) stuff about ghost chillis.

Thinking of selecting some from HERE.

Comment

While purchasing some more Hotter Than Hell (as above), the chillipepperpete guy thought I should try some new Dragon's Blood. I kid you not. My mouth was on fire for half an hour. I thought it was never going to go away... Not sure what it's for though. Didn't taste of much and although the endorphin rush was huge, it's just too much for me, so didn't make it on to my list of faves.

Loving this thread.

Comment

They had that dragons blood at a local food festival recently, I didn't try it but a friend did and it blew his head off apparently.

Have you seen the £250 pure crystals you can buy? let me find a link.

Looks absolutely mental, I think its a limited edition also so hard to find. A tiny salt crystal size too is far too much!

ouch, $595

Sigh, all these threads end up with the hottest ones mind, and they are mostly useless due to the heat.
                      Last edited by kernow; 03-11-2010, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ono View Post
                        I dunno if what is nice or not but after watching a few episodes of Man vs Food I am going for some ghost chilli sauce to test myself. I can take Habanero sauce OK but hearing bad ass (literally) stuff about ghost chillis.

Thinking of selecting some from HERE.
                        Speaking about habeneros and ghost chillies...

Comment

Originally posted by Ampanman View Post
                          Encona for me. Love it in cooking or a dip for celery etc. Only have to smell it and my mouth's watering like mad.
                          That gets my vote as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
                            They had that dragons blood at a local food festival recently, I didn't try it but a friend did and it blew his head off apparently.

Have you seen the ?250 pure crystals you can buy? let me find a link.

Looks absolutely mental, I think its a limited edition also so hard to find. A tiny salt crystal size too is far too much!

ouch, $595

Sigh, all these threads end up with the hottest ones mind, and they are mostly useless due to the heat.
                            The Blair's reserve bottles are crazy, but they're mostly collectors items. You'd probably die if you ate some.

Comment

I don't see the pleasure in eating something that technically is listed as poison/stain remover!

I love a bit of spice - Jalfrezi hot normally at a curry house, but when you can't taste anything, what's the point?

I 3rd the vote for Ma Balls too. Plus you can say things like "would you like to taste ma balls?".

It's a bugger to get hold of, but I really recommend Green Tabasco. It's nowhere near as hot as the red one and really peps up a meal. It's astonishing on eggs!

My wife introduced me to it after a friend in America carried a bottle around in case a restaurant didn't have any! We've just asked our local Sainsburg's if they'll stock it. otherwise it's Selfridges or eBay.

Comment

Working...
                              X