No announcement yet.

Best chili pickles / sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it's been a while since I posted in this thread, but still eating hot sauce since 2016.

Some sauces I've recently gotten thru recently:

Can definitely recommend Sting in the Tail and The Formidable Fear, the other not so much. Unfortunately I don't think either are available to buy anymore. I can recommend Cajohn's El Chupacarba though.
    Last edited by MartyG; 09-06-2021, 13:16.

Comment

I'm nowhere near your heat threshold, but I love a bit of spice around jalapeno level, like Tabasco, but I find myself putting on everything and worry I'm missing out on the flavour of the food and my cuisine is turning into that of Dave Lister.

Comment

At some point lesser-known hot sauces became a good go-to present for me, and it's also the thing I tend to look for as a souvenir whenever I'm away from home. As such there's quite a backlog in the cupboard! Here's some from the current rotation, though:

Bozzo's on the left is a local effort that... honestly, needs a little bit of work. Reasonable flavour but has little body and is really far too liquid-y for most applications. Vampire Slayer on the other hand has done me very well, and brings a good amount of heat. I grabbed it while I was on the Isle of Wight, but I see it's available through Ocado! I grabbed a pack of three Queen Majesty samples in the US one time, and totally loved them all - not super spicy, but very flavourful. Was delighted to find that they're starting to show up here now, and have very much enjoyed getting reacquainted with this one.

Comment

I totally need the Vampire Slayer sauce.

Comment

Got something to tide me over the next few weeks - definitely recommend this one as an everyday carry.

Comment

Went to Subway and they didn't have any jalapenos, they said there's a nationwide shortage.
              So went to the supermarket to pick up a jar of sliced jalapenos - they had none.
              So, I'm a little concerned that there's a jalapeno shortage in the whole UK!

I did, however, pick these up and they're lovely. I can't stop nibbling them, they're great!
              Not particularly hot (not to some of the thread pros, anyway), but spicy enough to zazz up any salad!
              I seem to have eaten the majority of them straight out of the jar, though.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                Went to Subway and they didn't have any jalapenos, they said there's a nationwide shortage.
                Bloody Brexit ruins everything

Never seen those before, but I have a stack of pickled Nagas I bottles a few years ago from a bumper crop and they blow your head off

If you can grow and pickle your own, it's well worth doing as they last for ages (and it's fun).

I don't think I bottle newts at the same time - trick off the light.
                Last edited by MartyG; 15-07-2021, 12:10.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                  Bloody Brexit ruins everything

Never seen those before, but I have a stack of pickled Nagas I bottles a few years ago from a bumper crop and they blow your head off

If you can grow and pickle your own, it's well worth doing as they last for ages.
                  I didn't want to mention the "B" word, but that's exactly what I suspected.

I don't really want to blow my head off, just have a spicy tang and these really hit the spot!

I tried to grow some last year, but went on holiday for a week and they died.
                  I've missed this year's window.

I got a kit from South Devon Chilli Farm and some other seeds:
                  Anaheim Chilli Seeds
                  Big Bomb Chilli Seeds
                  Cherry Bomb Chilli Seeds
                  Chilli Growing Kit - Chilli Selection - 4 Varieties
                  100ml Chilli Focus plant food

This Chilli Selection Growing Kit has everything you need to start growing four of our favourite chilli varieties, on a windowsill or in a greenhouse. The kit includes 5 seeds of each variety; the chilli varieties range from mild to very hot. Depending on stock, typical seed varieties it might include are: Apache, Jala

Comment

Yeah, South Devon Chilli Farm is probably one of the better places for those grow kits - they've been going a long time now, so they've nailed those down pretty well.

You can also buy fresh chillies from them; I highly recommend getting the Pimientos de Padron when they come into season, which shouldn't be much longer now. They're great just shallowed fried with a pinch of salt on their own.

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    I didn't want to mention the "B" word, but that's exactly what I suspected.
                    You can blame it for everything now - just like that bloke that's recently left your company - it's always his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      Yeah, South Devon Chilli Farm is probably one of the better places for those grow kits - they've been going a long time now, so they've nailed those down pretty well.

You can also buy fresh chillies from them; I highly recommend getting the Pimientos de Padron when they come into season, which shouldn't be much longer now. They're great just shallowed fried with a pinch of salt on their own.

You can blame it for everything now - just like that bloke that's recently left your company - it's always his fault.
                      Yeah, I was impressed with the kit, and a little sad I didn't manage to grow them.

Wow, those Pimientos de Padron do sound lovely! Drool!

I've been blaming my predecessor for 8 years now, but it's nice to mix up your excuses.

Comment

Well been a while since I posted in this thread, but some celebrity (Ed Sheeran ) has released "hot" sauces in partnership with Heinz.

I haven't tried them, they're not as potent as Frank's Hot Sauce (and that doesn't even make it off the bottom of the scale), but given it's Sheeran, it'll probably sell loads.

The singer’s new venture has secretly been in development for two years and he can’t wait to unleash the results on the world

Meanwhile, if you want something that's got more kick to it, I bought these on the off chance that they'd be usable daily (as expensive artisan sauces daily get pricey fast), and they were surprisingly decent: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08HYRYWY7

Comment

Working...
                        X