No announcement yet.

Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm having trouble - got the remove but I can't enter service mode. I try pressing the right buttons (i+, 5, volume +, teletext) but whenever I press 5 the TV just starts and won't go into any different mode. (I tried pressing 8 as well since the picture on page 3 has button 8 as the right one, as opposed to the text) but it's the same result. Could there be a different combo for service mode for this model or am I doing something wrong?

edit: scratch that, I somehow got the service mode to open. But now I'm having trouble navigating it - I can scroll through the adjustments but I can't change anything. Up and down buttons just scroll through different menus and - and + (left and right) buttons do nothing. Man, it's frustrating getting to the service menu but not being able to change any settings! (I could change the settings on the first page just fine, the UK and 16:9 and those)
    Last edited by Merrow; 15-09-2014, 08:12.

Comment

I've recently bought Sony Trinitron KV-14T1U and I'm having some difficulties with it with regards to my model 2 Jap white Sega Saturn. I also have model 2 jap This is Cool Sega Saturn.

I plugged it in using my white Saturn with what I believe to be and RGB cable. When I select the AV input the picture appears in colour for less than a second and then goes black and white, this is also the same result with the This is Cool Saturn. Though weirdly when I put the teletext on the picture changed to colour but was of a poor quality.

I tested a US NTSC PS2 slim with an NTSC game using an RGB cable and this was ok and had no issues. I also tried a jap Megadrive with an RGb cable, and this again caused no issues.

This Sony TV is my 2nd Trinitron 14", the other being a KV-14LM1E and all my systems work on this using RGB Scart cables, including both Saturns.

So from what I can gather the KV-14T1U appears to be able to handle an NTSC signal because if it coudld then the PS2 and Megadrive wouldn't work.

I'm stumped as to what the issue is. I'm sorry to dredge this thread up again but if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

The MD and PS2 output RGB, not NTSC. It's likely the TV.
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Hi...I was hoping someone could help me with a couple of things. I have the KV-14T1U with the remote and the picture is about an inch too much over to the left. I've managed to get into the service menu and was going to try adjusting some of the settings but they won't budge - the red and yellow +/- buttons don't change the numbers. Any ideas why this might be? I've got a PAL megadrive 2 connected via a Scart cable - I did hear something about an NTSC machine being an issue but this is obviously not the case for me. Secondly, if I do manage to get them to adjust, which of the settings I actually need to change to move the picture over to the right?

Comment

Originally posted by doughballs View Post
            I have the KV-14T1U with the remote and the picture is about an inch too much over to the left.
            I have a 14" Sony. When I changed things in the service menu, I plugged a VCR into the aerial socket. I think someone mentioned that's the only way to to do it - whether you're using a PAL or NTSC machine. You can plug anything outputting a PAL signal into the aerial socket.

I think it's easy to see which options adjust the geometry, but it was a while ago when I changed mine.

Look at this page: http://bordersdown.net/threads/10662...KV-14T1U/page3
            Last edited by Leon Retro; 14-08-2018, 18:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
              You can plug anything outputting a PAL signal into the aerial socket.
              Hi Leon - cheers for this, I already tried connecting the MD2 with the RF cable instead of scart and had the same issue. Strange. I don't have a VCR to try but the MD outputs PAL so should work.

Is there anything else you need to press to alter the values? I read somewhere that you had to press the source button before +/-, but this doesn't work either.

Even an inch to the left it's a sweet TV!

Comment

I had this set years ago and I think you needed to have a PAL source active to be able to enter the service menu. Really just a tweak of the horizontal position to move the image, then horizontal size to widen.

Comment

Strange. I don't have a VCR to try but the MD outputs PAL so should work.
                  I was going to use a PS2 with an RF cable, but found an old VCR, so connected that instead. It wouldn't change the settings unless I had the VCR connected. Maybe you have a PAL DVD player? Just try something else that outputs a PAL signal through RF. You can get an RF cable for a PlayStation 1 or 2 for a few quid

If you manage to find a PAL device that outputs through RF, make sure to have the TV on the channel it is displaying the image before trying the service menu method. If you're on another channel that just has fuzz, it won't enter the service menu.

Also, if the service menu image is wobbling, that means you can't change anything. It has to have a stable image.

Look at this thread: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ient=firefox-b
                  Last edited by Leon Retro; 15-08-2018, 20:47.

Comment

I have one of these and it definitely needs to be a 50hz source, but I don't have to plug anything int to the RF to change it. It has to be 50hz, as opposed than PAL. A long shot, but your Megadrive hasn't been modded to 60hz has it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                      Also, if the service menu image is wobbling, that means you can't change anything. It has to have a stable image.
                      Thanks Leon. And here we may have the problem...my service menu is wobbling all over the place! I don't suppose there's a fix for that? The guy in thread you linked to said he fixed his by pressing random buttons in TT mode. I find it hard to believe..!?

Originally posted by ZipZap View Post
                      A long shot, but your Megadrive hasn't been modded to 60hz has it?
                      ZipZap: I don't think it has. I had a modded md2 once and it had a switch on the back (and a blue led), so unless you can mod one and have it be cosmetically identical outside. I've got a ton of MDs around the place so I could try another one easily. Away at the minute, back thursday but will report back with anything interesting.
                      Last edited by doughballs; 21-08-2018, 17:12.

Comment

Thanks Leon. And here we may have the problem...my service menu is wobbling all over the place! I don't suppose there's a fix for that? The guy in thread you linked to said he fixed his by pressing random buttons in TT mode. I find it hard to believe..!?
                        I had the wobbling service menu until I plugged a VCR into the aerial socket and tuned it in. It's actually a VHS/DVD combo player, so I just put a DVD in. I made sure to have the DVD image on the screen before I entered the service menu. Then the service menu wasn't wobbling and settings could be changed.

I also had to keep switching to my NTSC American SNES that was plugged into the Scart socket between changes to see how the things looked. It took a while to get things how I like them.

Maybe you have an old DVD player with RF/Aerial output? Anything that outputs a 50Hz image through RF/Aerial should work, but you have to tune the channel you want it to work on.

Also, I just realised that my Sony 14" is the KV-14T1U, so you can be sure that what I did should work for you. The image quality is really nice, but even nicer when the geometry is set up better.
                        Last edited by Leon Retro; 23-08-2018, 08:33.

Comment

Working...
                        X