No announcement yet.

Looking to dye a SNES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For prep you are far better to rub it over with some fairly soft wet and dry in a bucket of soapy water, you get a far better key. Also to avoid funny painting issues, stand your spray cans in the warmth in some warm water.

Comment

Any success?

Hi,

Did you have any success dying your Snes, or re-colouring it in anyway? If so, what dye did you use? I am wanting to change my Snes colour, as its in bad shape.

Look forward to your replies
      Dan.

Comment

Yet to have the console arrive yet, will let you know how it goes though. Has to be done before the 19th of December!

Comment

Cleaning Materials in the UK?

Hi,

Can anybody recommend me any names for products that are readily available in the UK, to clean up mucky consoles? I beleive that in america you can get Magic Erasers, is this something that can be found in the UK?
          I have read about toothpaste, any particular brand that is better than others?
          I am mainly looking for products that are along the lines of removing surface dirt, and very mild yellowing.

Has anybody had any success with Vinyl dye? I found this link via an old thread;
          Vinyl Dye to paint and re colour plastic, leather, vinyl and many textiles and materials. It's waterproof, doesn't crack, won't hide surface details or reliefs and doesn't peel or scratch off....

How bright a colour can one achieve, from dying an old console? Is there certain prepping one should use before dying? I have never dyed vinyl before, should one sand down the surface before applying dye?

Apologies if this has been talked over on these boards before.

Cheers,
          Daniel.

Comment

Best of luck

Hi there Best of luck with the dying, I hope it turns out awesome. Are you going for an all over black colour?

Comment

Just the light grey area.

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                Hi,

Can anybody recommend me any names for products that are readily available in the UK, to clean up mucky consoles? I beleive that in america you can get Magic Erasers, is this something that can be found in the UK?
                I have read about toothpaste, any particular brand that is better than others?
                I am mainly looking for products that are along the lines of removing surface dirt, and very mild yellowing.

Has anybody had any success with Vinyl dye? I found this link via an old thread;
                Vinyl Dye to paint and re colour plastic, leather, vinyl and many textiles and materials. It's waterproof, doesn't crack, won't hide surface details or reliefs and doesn't peel or scratch off....

How bright a colour can one achieve, from dying an old console? Is there certain prepping one should use before dying? I have never dyed vinyl before, should one sand down the surface before applying dye?

Apologies if this has been talked over on these boards before.

Cheers,
                Daniel.
                See Ikobo's link or try Retrobrite.

Comment

Meltyface

I have been reading up on Retr0Bright, I fear i might burn my eyeballs out heh. If I fail miserably, I will get hold of some colours from Vinly Dye.

Comment

Dan, what exactly is it you're looking to recolour?

Comment

I would like to try and restore it back to near original colour, however I am doubtful of this. If that fails, I was thinking dye the whole chassis black, and then dye the reset, power and eject areas a different colour, for example a light blue. Something along those lines. I have also thought about arting up the top of the system with industrial type marker pens, I have some decent paint style markers that I use for my art works. So maybe If I tried to dye the whole system white and go from there.

I am tempted to just dive straight into colours rather than trying to achieve an original colour.

Edit: In regards to the VinylDye soloution, I am still unsure If I will need to prep the console in anyway before applying the colours.
                      Last edited by redstar_dan; 04-12-2010, 23:31.

Comment

For vinyl dye, all it needs is a good clean Dan.

Original colour, i'd say retr0brite was your best option.

Comment

That is interesting, It will be a lot easier than the Retrobite solution. Cheers, I will be sure to post up some images when I have it finished.

Comment

How did you get on with this bad boy speedy?

Comment

Upon arrival I've decided not to now..

It was a present from a friend but my friend was buying the console and I was going to do the modifications to it - including 50/60hz switch and lockout switch.

He bought a really nice one so I can't bring myself to dye it or whatever..

Comment

Definitely only something you'd do to a manky yellowed one. A crisp, clean SFC is a gorgeous system.

Comment

Working...
                                X