Looking to dye a SNES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to dye a SNES

Not paint, but dye. Any recommendations? Want as permanent as possible.

Cigarettes work pretty well on most things. Are you after a kind of ****ty snotty phlegmy yellowish colour?

Comment

Nah, it's already got a coat of that.

Comment

Good old Vinyl Dye should do it nicely. What colour are you after?

Comment

Black. Vinyl dye seems to be illegal somewhat in the UK and I've done a small amount of research and found leather dye will probably be the best for the job I guess.

Comment

I hear that the stuff for recolouring car dashboards is pretty similar. Make sure you don't get textured though.

This stuff might work... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAGIX-GRISON-4...item3cb242c4ea

Comment

Illegal? It's easy enough to purchase, I used it to recolour the plastics on my cab a few months ago, I did a thread on it here:

Last edited by Colin; 30-11-2010, 08:15.

Comment

One of the usual components is apparently. May I ask which you used ikobo?

Comment

I think it was called magix? Can't remember the spelling exactly, I might still have some at home.

If you do use it, make sure you build it up in very light layers. (My cab parts took 6) And give it time to settle between coats and soak in. Then ideally, leave it over night before touching it again. It'll be dry after 10 minutes, but in my opinion takes a good while to seep in properly.

In my experience, if you don't, it can end up looking painted instead of re-coloured. I tried doing it quickly on a TV stand after I did the cab, and it looked like ****. It's all in the prep and patience.
                  Last edited by Colin; 30-11-2010, 09:49.

Comment

I think I would be tempted to rub if over with wet and dry, then spray it with plastic primer then a colour of your choice. I did a white QL recently and it looks the job.

Comment

Yeah, plan to do a coat a day or something. Not planning to prep it at all really other than giving it a clean with soap.

Comment

Only other thing I would say is do it indoors, in a reasonably warm atmosphere. In the cold it goes a bit 'blobby'.

Comment

Ah. Might be a bit of a problem, maybe I could cover a box in something to keep it warm in my cold garage..

Comment

I'm only going by doing the TV stand in the garden! I did the cab parts in my living room. It took longer to cover everything with dust sheets than to paint the whole cab.

Comment

Ah, perhaps atmosphere has something to do with it then? The stand would have been exposed to the elements. I'd try it indoors but my Mum would probably kill me lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X