Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
    Are you sure youre talking about Uncharted 2 and not Quatum Theory?

The gunplay in uncharted 2 is brilliant, just like every other single thing about the game, its one of the best ever made without question, if you think it plays badly then youre in serious need of medication.
    It just isn't though. Apart from the fact you have to use a Dualshock 3, which is to precision gaming as Adolf Hitler was to race relations, the actual weapons sound terrible and don't actually line up with the reticule when they fire. One of the machine guns fires about 2mm off to the right and sort of spews bullets in concentric circles. Also, enemies take hundreds of bullets to down unless you hit them in the head. If you hit them in the head they occasionally shrug it off as if it was a mosquito bite. Then some new enemies turn up with riot shields! Yay!

I hated the combat. Detested it. Twinned with the "my first traversal" nature of the levels I found most of it a terrible slog only mildly enlivened by the B (or C) level movie cutscenes tagged on the side.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalcade View Post
      It just isn't though. Apart from the fact you have to use a Dualshock 3, which is to precision gaming as Adolf Hitler was to race relations, the actual weapons sound terrible and don't actually line up with the reticule when they fire. One of the machine guns fires about 2mm off to the right and sort of spews bullets in concentric circles. Also, enemies take hundreds of bullets to down unless you hit them in the head. If you hit them in the head they occasionally shrug it off as if it was a mosquito bite. Then some new enemies turn up with riot shields! Yay!

I hated the combat. Detested it. Twinned with the "my first traversal" nature of the levels I found most of it a terrible slog only mildly enlivened by the B (or C) level movie cutscenes tagged on the side.
      Ive completed the game three times and the guns have always aimed where I want them too, I think youre just rubbish at aiming, which is understandable to an extent I suppose, as you say the Dual Shock 3 isnt exactly the greastest controler ever made for shooters.

Enemies dont take hundred bullets though, that was in the first one, in the second game even on crushing difficulty they only take 3 or 4 shots at most to take down, one if you hit them in the head (obviously im not counting the crazy demon monkey guys near the end), which isnt hard if youre decent at shooters.

I fail to understand how anyone could not be utterly stunned by Uncharted 2, the way it lets you play through set peices that any other game would force you to watch is unmatched, its an absolubte masterpeice as far as gameplay is concerened and is one on many other levels too.

Comment

And the reason for me to buy that 60 inch 3DTV next year has just given me a happy!

Comment

Uncharted 2 was a step back in gameplay terms for everything but the melee combat and set pieces. Grenade controls are terrible, enemies do like the first game take loads of damage, the sneaking is about has rigid as it gets and punishes you for not killing enemies in the correct order as it doesn't trigger the next guard to turn in the other direction and the animation just snaps into each new motion. And god damn that lost city bit at the end was just complete ****, from the 3 clip to kill monkey men to the bosses, a crossbow covered in gold should not out do a machine gun.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
            Ive completed the game three times and the guns have always aimed where I want them too, I think youre just rubbish at aiming, which is understandable to an extent I suppose, as you say the Dual Shock 3 isnt exactly the greastest controler ever made for shooters.

Enemies dont take hundred bullets though, that was in the first one, in the second game even on crushing difficulty they only take 3 or 4 shots at most to take down, one if you hit them in the head (obviously im not counting the crazy demon monkey guys near the end), which isnt hard if youre decent at shooters.

I fail to understand how anyone could not be utterly stunned by Uncharted 2, the way it lets you play through set peices that any other game would force you to watch is unmatched, its an absolubte masterpeice as far as gameplay is concerened and is one on many other levels too.
            I always get assailed by the "I finished it on Crushing, so you must suck" Uncharted defence force. I'm not brilliant at shooters, but I got most of the way through Gears on whatever the top difficulty was (Insane is it?) so I'm not an uncoordinated imbecile.

Shoot an enemy anywhere but the head and you can empty 30 bullets into them ON EASY before they fall down dead. That is ridiculous. I can't remember ever killing an enemy with three or four bullets, unless one of them was a headshot. Fair enough if they were perhaps an alien insectoid race with chitinous skin, but slightly odd when some are wearing shirtsleeves. The "special" enemies with shields and massive gattling guns are ridiculous as well. I reached a point where I'd play it for 30 minutes at a time until the hatred of the combat grew to a level I couldn't ignore, then I'd switch it off.

There is one machine gun, I can't remember which one, but the shots do not strike dead on the reticule, and are a tiny bit offset to one side. Honestly. Also, all the machine guns do a sort of last-gen cone-like spray in the general direction of where you're aiming them, while a 6 year old thumps a wet cardboard box to simulate the chatter of a powerful killing machine. It's a bit like Freedom Fighters actually, that was quite similar. Only Freedom Fighters was enjoyable.

I forgot the "stealth" sections. Utterly awful in every respect. You fail, it resets. Hello 1999.

But, what Naughty Dog managed to do is polish the turd to such a brilliant level that millions claim it's a fantastic work of utter genius. But it's still a turd at the core, and when I play it I always get a mouthful of turd about once every 5 minutes, and no amount of shiny brilliance takes the taste away.

But that's all I have to say on it. I'm happy for anyone excited for a third, but personally I'd rather saw off my own testicles with a spatula than play another Uncharted.
            Last edited by cavalcade; 09-12-2010, 20:33.

Comment

I loved the game until the monkey men at the end. WTF?

Aiming for me was okay but as stated the PS3 controller for FPS is poo. The set pieces were amazing though, like when the building you were in collapses and the room starts to fall off the building (helicopter stage). In fact thinking about it makes me want to play it again!

Very much looking forward to the third.

Comment

Also, enemies take hundreds of bullets to down unless you hit them in the head. If you hit them in the head they occasionally shrug it off as if it was a mosquito bite. Then some new enemies turn up with riot shields! Yay!
                I actually agree tbh. I'm not as harsh on it as you but I've always struggled to understand why a game which appears to pride itself on bringing a realistic movie like experience has enemies which require 100 bullets to the head with a machine gun before they'll even consider being stunned.

The Uncharted series is basically plagiarism of Gears of War and Tomb Raider. It questionably re-invigorated the latter theme but is definitely inferior to the combat mechanics found in the former. But at the end of the day the game has so much superficial polish on it that many seem to be distracted from its obvious flaws.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy uncharted, but the combat is a poor gears clone, and the traversal of the environments was nicked wholesale from tomb raider anniversary, I mean, the buttons and movements are exactly the same!!

The first time I played uncharted 1, I was actually shocked that they had nicked Tomb Raider Anniversary's mechanics so blatantly!!

Comment

I always get assailed by the "I finished it on Crushing, so you must suck" Uncharted defence force. I'm not brilliant at shooters, but I got most of the way through Gears on whatever the top difficulty was (Insane is it?) so I'm not an uncoordinated imbecile.

Shoot an enemy anywhere but the head and you can empty 30 bullets into them ON EASY before they fall down dead. That is ridiculous. I can't remember ever killing an enemy with three or four bullets, unless one of them was a headshot. Fair enough if they were perhaps an alien insectoid race with chitinous skin, but slightly odd when some are wearing shirtsleeves. The "special" enemies with shields and massive gattling guns are ridiculous as well. I reached a point where I'd play it for 30 minutes at a time until the hatred of the combat grew to a level I couldn't ignore, then I'd switch it off.

There is one machine gun, I can't remember which one, but the shots do not strike dead on the reticule, and are a tiny bit offset to one side. Honestly. Also, all the machine guns do a sort of last-gen cone-like spray in the general direction of where you're aiming them, while a 6 year old thumps a wet cardboard box to simulate the chatter of a powerful killing machine. It's a bit like Freedom Fighters actually, that was quite similar. Only Freedom Fighters was enjoyable.

I forgot the "stealth" sections. Utterly awful in every respect. You fail, it resets. Hello 1999.

But, what Naughty Dog managed to do is polish the turd to such a brilliant level that millions claim it's a fantastic work of utter genius. But it's still a turd at the core, and when I play it I always get a mouthful of turd about once every 5 minutes, and no amount of shiny brilliance takes the taste away.

But that's all I have to say on it. I'm happy for anyone excited for a third, but personally I'd rather saw off my own testicles with a spatula than play another Uncharted.
                    I heard you have a 60,000 xbl gamerscore, that must mean a lot of quality titles played

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start To Begin' View Post
                      I loved the game until the monkey men at the end. WTF?

Aiming for me was okay but as stated the PS3 controller for FPS is poo. The set pieces were amazing though, like when the building you were in collapses and the room starts to fall off the building (helicopter stage). In fact thinking about it makes me want to play it again!

Very much looking forward to the third.
                      ZE MIYTH OF ZE KILLA APE IZ TRUE!

If only it had a laser weapon

Uncharted 2 was amazing, anyone who says otherwise is a moron.

No i don't care about opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmyboi View Post
                        ...I've always struggled to understand why a game which appears to pride itself on bringing a realistic movie like experience has enemies which require 100 bullets to the head with a machine gun before they'll even consider being stunned.
                        Not really sure that realistic is a suitable description for anything in the first two games.

This really isn't aimed at you Jimmyboi, I know there's been a minority of people since the first game who haven't been happy with the shooting but it's always seemed spot on to me.

I know it doesn't have any kind of auto aim and if you are aiming a centimetre to left of their head then you are going to miss them a centimetre. I know that other games would compensate when you're that close but I've always preferred to avoid that sort of assistance myself.

You shoot somebody in the head, they die. I know it doesn't work like that if they're armoured which doesn't really make any sense in the real world but I do understand that's what games do.
                        Hated Uncharted 1 and 2. Floppy gunplay, terrible stodgy traversal, bad level design and terrible bosses. Slap some shiny graphics on, and a few wisecracks and you can paper any gameplay deficiencies it seems. A third one is about as welcome as a bout of thrush on the inside of my eyelids.
                        What is this growing practice of people on here visiting threads for games they know they don't like to merely insult the game?

I really didn't enjoy Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World but if they announced a second game I wouldn't visit that thread to announce the first game as being **** as it contributes absolutely nothing to the new thread. If I did post it surely I would only be posting it to ensure that people who were feeling positive about the upcoming game have their fun spoilt just a little tiny bit?

When a big exclusive game is released now I tend to unsubscribe from the News and First Play threads as there seems to be people who seem to want to do nothing else but try and spoil it for other people.

I still haven't read either of the bloody Halo: Reach threads as I imagine there are people in there doing the same. I would have normally visited by now but the 360 had gone around that time I haven't yet.
                        Last edited by JP; 09-12-2010, 21:08. Reason: my friggin' stupidity

Comment

Easy lads

How's this, I bought Uncharted 1 and 2 and didn't play either
                          Looked good on the case though.
                          @cavalcade- Most of the way through Gears on Insane? You suck man you suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck etc.

Comment

Seeing as Uncharted was first revealed before GoW1 was released and in development a year before that... and given that it also came out close to TR Anniversary and predates that gamed development I find the accusations of plaigerism somewhat... well, rubbish.

Yes the games are linear but last I checked those other 2 series were just as bad. Same for the gunplay, if you struggle with the aiming or taking even the armoured enemies down then I'm sorry to say, your playing skills at the game are to blame. It's completely understandable for the game to not appeal for personal tastes but so much of the negative responses revolve around blatantly groundless reasonings. Even from the view of UC2's weaker areas, the massive improvement of that game over the original marks UC3 as one to watch. For fans, 2011's GOTY might already have been decided
                            Last edited by Neon Ignition; 09-12-2010, 22:30.

Comment

I've got to say, until this generation I've never owned a playstation console, and even had a bit of a fanboy dislike for them, but after playing the first uncharted on a borrowed console, and hearing that the second one was coming out, it was ps3 instabuy. Very very pumped about a third game.

Also, well said John. If you hate the games, you're obviously not going to play the third. This is a news thread about the third game, so why would you even read it in the first place?

Comment

I never said you "sucked", you actualy said it, you said you couldnt hit enemies and they take 100 bullets when they dont, its not my fault, calm down.

To be honest you seem to have a vendetta against the game based on accusations that arent even true, and as stated by other people I dont even know why you came in here (a thread about the announcement of a sequel) just to say its crap and say things about it that virtualy no one else whos played it would agree with.

Also, How far did you get in uncharted 2? did you complete it?

You seem to hate it with all your being (or well enough that it would drive you to self castration) which makes me wonder how you even got past the first few levels of the game.

Seems like youre a very strange person, and thats not just becuase you seemed to have played alot of a game that is aparently more of a painful experience to you than if you were to mutilate your own genitalia.
                                Last edited by rmoxon; 09-12-2010, 23:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X