[14/03/11] Wanted DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[14/03/11] Wanted DVDs

This is probably going to be a long term wants thread.

I sold of the majority of my DVDs a while back but I've now started replacing some of them, I'm not just looking for films to watch but also films to study, because of this this thread will be an ongoing one

I'm not going to list many individual films at the moment as there are just too many films that I'm wanting and many of them are films that I don't even know that I want yet.

I will of course also consider blu-rays also but a lot of the films I'm interested in aren't yet available on blu-ray. If you're one of the people who bought DVDs from me and have some you don't want then I may be interested in buying some of them back from you.

I need to give people something to go on, you'll find a list of the blu-rays that I own in this thread. That list is well out of date but it should be enough to give people an idea of what sort of film that I may be looking for.

Many of the DVDs I've been buying lately have been from the Artificial Eye, Criterion or Tartan labels which again should suggest certain films to people.

I'm also going to throw a few director's in here but as before, they're here as a guide and I already have some of their films on DVD and blu-ray.

I know it's a bit daft opening a wants thread without actually naming what you want but there's just so much I'm interested in and feel free to offer what you have.

I you have something that you think I may be interested in then please post what it is in this thread rather than sending a PM. For the sake of everybody involved I like the transaction to be visible before moving to PM.

WANTED

Jean-Luc Godard "The Ultimate Collection" (14 DVDs - PAL)

I'm not interested in the larger Japanese Godard collection as the quality doesn't seem particularly good
    Last edited by JP; 14-03-2011, 18:32.

Acquired

cutmymilk [06/03/11]
    • The Pianist (blu-ray)
    • Cyrano de Bergerac (DVD)
    • The Science Of Sleep (DVD)
    • Super Size Me (DVD)
    • Rushmore (DVD)

Wavey Pavey [14/03/11]
    • The Life Aquatic (DVD)
    • Happiness (DVD)
    • Storytelling (DVD)
    Last edited by JP; 17-03-2011, 01:06.

Comment

Added a wanted list for films I can name and added the first films. It's quite cheap at the moment but I thought it was worth trying here first.

Jean-Luc Godard "The Ultimate Collection" (14 DVDs - PAL)

I'm not interested in the larger Japanese Godard collection as the quality doesn't seem particularly good.

Comment

John,

I have Valhalla Rising on DVD if you are interested?

Linky to IMDB here ...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862467/

With your eclectic taste, it's maybe something you would appreciate?

It has been discussed on these boards on 'What films have you watched recently', but it does contain some spoilers if you read the posts.

If interested drop me a pm.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the offer.

I've had a bit of a look into the film but it's not really caught my attention at the moment. To be fair, it's quite possible that I'll change my mind at some point though as I often do.

Comment

Hi,

I have a few troma movies:

Troma's War
            Redneck zombies
            Rockabilly vampire
            All the US official troma releases.

few of r2 Tartan asia extreme films:
            Tetsuo 2: Body hammer
            Orginal version of bangkok dangerous
            Versus

A boxset of Kurusawa films released by BFI. Includes:

Red beard, Throne of blood, Stray dog, Ikiru and i live in fear

a boxset of the coffin joe movies.

annnd a box set of the blind dead films.

PM me if interested

Comment

Thanks again for the offers.

With stuff like Troma and the Kurosawa films I've already started building up my blu-ray collection for both (You really haven't seen Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead until you've seen it on blu-ray or brown ray as Lloyd Kaufman calls it).

The BFI Kurosawa set is a fantastic set as I used to own it myself.

Should have really mentioned this before but with the Tartan films I very rarely get on with the Asia Extreme collection. I used to love them but sold loads on here due to only finding a couple that I was interested in.

I'd not heard of the Coffin Joe or Blind Dead films so tanks for that but again I don't think interested at the moment.

I really do appreciate the offers and I'm sorry that I'm saying no but I am glad people are posting different things here when I've not really listed much.

I've started a really poor wanted thread by not bloody mentioning what I want so I think I'm going to have to start listing specific titles but I'd like people to offer any stuff they think may be suitable as I may find something that I want.

I'll have to sort out a better list this week of some of the films that I'm after.

Comment

Nice I didn't know troma and Kurosawa films had bluray releases already! Will have to look out for those.

Comment

I'm trying very hard not to turn this into another film thread, but...

There is only a few available at the moment as Criterion own the rights to many of his films, they released the AK 100:
                  25 Films by Akira Kurosawa
                  set a few years ago on DVD which received such high praise but was little too expensive for my liking at the time.

They have already released The Seven Samurai, Yojimbo, Sanjuro and Kagemusha on blu-ray which are probably as close to perfect as you'll get with those films.

They lost the rights to Ran a while back in one of Studio Canal's ongoing battles to seemingly acquire the rights to Criterion's film catalogue but it was universally slated so as much as I love the film I've resisted it.

Troma started releasing blu-rays last year there's only four available at the moment which I already have. They do tend to support new technology but I'd imagine DVD is very much their preferred format at the moment for fairly obvious reasons.

Comment

John,

Noticed this and thought of you!

It seems that you may have some/all of them?, but just in case.

Comment

Cheers, thanks for that.

I already have the blu-rays I've listed above so there's only a couple I don't have from that set so as good as the collection is it's probably best I just wait for a while to see what's announced on blu-ray.

Comment

I've got a copy of Marketa Lazarova if you're interested as I have bought the boxset of the director's films (it was cheaper than buying the other 2 films seperately).

Comment

Hi Tony, some you may be interested in. Got some of them from you originally!

Blu Ray - The Pianist (Studio Canal Collection)
                          Dog Days
                          Cyrano De Bergerac (1990)
                          The Science Of Sleep
                          Hero (Jet Li)
                          Sympathy For Mr Vengeance: Collector's Edition (5.1/DTS)
                          Super Size Me
                          Rushmore
                          Casshern: Special Edition (2 Discs)
                          Infernal Affairs 1 and 2
                          Ichi The Killer Box Set (3 Discs)

Comment

Hi Carl,

Thanks for getting back in touch.
                            Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
                            Hi Tony...
                            I think that's the other blu-ray/DVD feller.

I've really gone off the most of the Asian stuff so there aren't many that I'd even consider now.

I've re-bought Dog Days as I had an urge to watch a couple of months back. I know I shouldn't really but I'm going to recommend it to people now, it's from Ulrich Seidl who's best known film is probably Import/Export although I think this is a much more interesting film.

Aaaanyway, back to business and these few have caught my attention although I'm more interested in the DVDs rather than the blu-ray.
                            • Blu Ray - The Pianist (Studio Canal Collection)
                            • Cyrano De Bergerac (1990)
                            • The Science Of Sleep
                            • Super Size Me
                            • Rushmore

Comment

Ha, sorry John! Had a bit of a brain slip!

Can't remember how much I paid for these now, think I had Cyrano from you though? Shall we say £20 for all those? Super Size Me is the Tartan release, not the vanilla release.

Comment

Working...
                              X