Minecraft ( PC )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minecraft ( PC )

So i just bought the game thats rocking the PC indie scene, and first impressions is that its fantastic.
    So minecraft is a sandbox game where you mine resources and craft them into objects. The worlds in minecraft are randomly generated and the dimensions are 64 blocks high , 64 blocks deep and the width is infinite , so no two worlds look the same and the sandbox playfield is huge.
    So blocks ? i hear you utter, yes the game is 8 bit-tastic, remember Dire Straits, remember money for nothing, your character resembles the dudes( ie computer graphics ) in the Dire Straits video if you remember them. So the single player game is a time management game you have approximately 10 minutes of day light to gather your resources and build a shelter, cause when the sun goes down the game becomes a horror survival game with zombies, spiders and creepers trying to kill you.
    The game is very addictive and just learning all the things you can craft in the world is a joy.
    The game has a multiplayer aspect but isn't finished cause the game ain't released its only reached beta stage, you can go into servers with friends and people are building huge projects, one team has built Madison square gardens replica, its here the games creativity shines and the community aspect really shines through.
    So the game costs 14 Euros just now and goes up to 20 Euros when it releases, but once you got it it yours forever , and Notch , the guy who made the game is working on expanding minecraft , you can also try minecraft in your web browser for free.
    This game is amazing and so addictive and its amazing to think that 1 million people have bought the game already.
    There's no tutorial in game so here's a helpful guide on the basics to get you started.

I got this a while back and must admit I haven't given it enough playtime to be sure whether I like it or not. I love the idea but I wish I had been given a few days beast-free so I could mine and build before I had to defend myself.

What happened was I was just getting to grips with digging and explored underground, dug my way back up only to find it was night. I built a tiny shelter and was attacked. I was safe in my shelter but... I just had to wait it out. Which was boring. And then, the next day, the enemies didn't go away. So I dug a path to somewhere else and was attacked the moment I poked my head up. Died.

And, from then on, the game seemed much more dangerous and every night period was just spent waiting because I either couldn't see a thing underground or was in danger of dying overground.

That coupled with the feeling that I would have to use some sort of guide to figure out the combinations really put me off. Like I say, I need to give it more playtime but it doesn't make it easy to get into.

Comment

Play the game on peaceful difficulty and no monsters spawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        I got this a while back and must admit I haven't given it enough playtime to be sure whether I like it or not. I love the idea but I wish I had been given a few days beast-free so I could mine and build before I had to defend myself.

What happened was I was just getting to grips with digging and explored underground, dug my way back up only to find it was night. I built a tiny shelter and was attacked. I was safe in my shelter but... I just had to wait it out. Which was boring. And then, the next day, the enemies didn't go away. So I dug a path to somewhere else and was attacked the moment I poked my head up. Died.

And, from then on, the game seemed much more dangerous and every night period was just spent waiting because I either couldn't see a thing underground or was in danger of dying overground.

That coupled with the feeling that I would have to use some sort of guide to figure out the combinations really put me off. Like I say, I need to give it more playtime but it doesn't make it easy to get into.
        I think the waiting bit is what your doing wrong if you collect wood during the day you can make pick axes to dig and if you combine wood and coal you can make torches to light your shelter so you are safe.

I built my first shelter inside a hill and dug out a massive room, by mineing in my shelter I found loads of resources. My first little castle I built on top of my cave like shelter, and its great for watching the monsters roam on a night. By day I collect wood to make tools so that when night comes I can mine deeper down.

The fun in this for me is the exploration part searching for rare materials finding dungeons or stumbling across massive caverns, rushing to light them and make them safe. the game has a few simple rules that dark = danger, and the deeper you go the more monsters there are. every step deeper you go is a risk, do you head back and store your stuff, or do you explore a bit deeper and risk losing your mined resources.

I've recently started exploring above ground and found some amazing areas snowy forests, massive lakes, sandy beaches, and lava waterfalls, I found myself quite lost the first time I wandered off so use torches and stone to make beacons on top of hills to find my way home.
        Last edited by Lebowski; 11-01-2011, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
          I've recently started exploring above ground and found some amazing areas snowy forests, massive lakes, sandy beaches, and lava waterfalls, I found myself quite lost the first time I wandered off so use torches and stone to make beacons on top of hills to find my way home.
          Make a compass when you get the chance. Points towards your spawn point at all times.

Comment

No love for this on here?

I just got it (week off work ) and it's really absorbing. I find the whole building thing more interesting than the exploring caves thing but, considering the graphics are so primative, it sure is scary sometimes

My main house looks like a 1970's council house at the moment though.

Comment

I've resisted this game until now for fear of getting hopelessly addicted.

Incredible fan videos like this are weakening my resolve, though:

Comment

There is no way in hell I will get this. It seems too utterly absorbing to those that get sucked into it that it may end up taking over. Really great concept and nice to see it doing well.

Comment

LOL at you guys.

It's great fun and, yes, it can make hours disappear like minutes, but it's hardly crack!

I hate the design of my house now. Have seen a great location for my next build which could make it seem like Bespin or any other city in the clouds.

Comment

Started playing this properly last week after dipping in and out for a couple of months. Love it. But if you get killed, do you lose all the work you have done when you respawn? wasn't to fussed about the minerals but i'd spent 2 hours digging out a shelter etc but don't know where it is in relation to where i respawned (if its still there).

Comment

Originally posted by NemesiS View Post
                      But if you get killed, do you lose all the work you have done when you respawn? wasn't to fussed about the minerals but i'd spent 2 hours digging out a shelter etc but don't know where it is in relation to where i respawned (if its still there).
                      When you get killed, the stuff you are carrying gets scattered around the area of your demise for a while. You can pick everything up when you respawn if you are quick.

I found that building a landmark (basically a tall column) that can be seen for miles away helps you locate where you have your places of importance and thus helps you get your bearings.

Comment

This is a terrible, terrible game and I don't think it should be allowed its own thread here, any mention of the name should be banned. I really hate this game as I can't understand why I want to keep playing it! I completed a new mine shaft and built a massive sky bridge to link to my other lookout towers and impressively only fell off once. I was curious how far underground I actually was so decided to built a staircase up and was a surprising distance away, I find it very easy to get completely lost in the caverns. I know there's the compass and F3 but it's more fun I think without those.

Something else I hate about this game is that my own creations seem so incredibly basic compared to others I see online particularly as I'm more a functional person rather than cosmetic.

John

Comment

Anyone here still playing Minecraft?

Comment

Yup..

Comment

Been waiting for the iOS one to catch up, if it ever does.

Comment

Working...
                              X