Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended graphic novels / comics

im really getting into reading graphic novels, as well as picking up the monthly comic Clint, but as a noobie to the genre, dont really know what i should be looking out for.

ive read watchmen, kick ass, buy the walking dead volumes every 6 months or so, and currently reading V for Vendetta. i think i prefer this kind of stuff to straight up super hero strips, though dont mind xmen, batman, etc.

anything else i should look out for or hunt down on amazon?

cheers, rich

Preacher series. Violent story, very amusing!

Comment

Personal recent favourites:

DMZ (starting to look less fanciful by the day)
      Scott Pilgrim (you'll either love it or hate it)
      Fell (issue 10 is finally written, yay!)
      Powers (unless you hate Bendis' decompressed style)
      Alias (likewise. also currently being turned int a tv show)

Comment

If you like CLiNT then may I suggest The Boys.

Comment

Batman - The Killing Joke : Short but brilliant
          Batman - The Dark Knight Returns : Also rather good

Comment

thanks fellers.

i saw the scott pilgrim film, but found him a little annoying. abit too emo. how closely does the film match the books?

spag, ill have a look out for that. ive read mixed reviews about clint, but as someone who isnt a comics purist (and no particular view on millar), think its a great introduction. though the articles are awful, and really not feeling frankie boyles strip rex royd.

Comment

v for vendetta

the watchmen

which both have had good films i must say

oh for lovers of amazing art the DC kingdom come graphic novels are good
              Last edited by eastyy; 23-01-2011, 18:03.

Comment

The Walking Dead is superb.

Comment

Torpedo by Enrique Sanchez Abuli and Jordi Bernet! Grim, violent stories with dark humour of a 1936 New York hitman Luca "Torpedo" Torelli.

Comment

Sandman

Comment

Originally posted by mr_rich View Post
                      spag, ill have a look out for that. ive read mixed reviews about clint, but as someone who isnt a comics purist (and no particular view on millar), think its a great introduction. though the articles are awful, and really not feeling frankie boyles strip rex royd.
                      Its been a real pain tbh due to the schedule requiring copy before some of the strips have finished being drawn - at one point it was ahead of the US comic release for Kick Ass 2, but recently we've had to move the on-sale to give us time to get copy in. The Pro is being run in the latest issue and is well worth checking out imo and I've loved Millar's Nemesis. Also I agree the features are utter ****, really could do with some interviews at least instead of crap like Sexy Pets and that. Its meant to be an introduction to comics so good to hear its managed to reach at least one person.

The Boys is about a team of 'normal' people (one of them is based on a Scotish Simon Pegg) who keep the Superheroes in check when they go off the rails. Its a really snide alternative to the Marvel Universe and if you don't mind the swearing and violence you should get a kick out of it. It certainly doesn't **** about.

Comment

My recommendations are from someone not really much into comics. That's either a) a good thing as you're new too so I'm just picking the ones that really stood out or b) a bad thing as I don't know much about what I'm talking about. So here goes -

1) The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. This thing is a work of genius. The very first book doesn't have the best art and takes a little while to find its tone (I guess that's why the first book actually released wasn't the actual start...) but the series is absolutely brilliant. Very deep, very smart and full of wonderful characters.

2) Scott Pilgrim. Yes, the book is much better here. So much better. I saw the movie and wasn't all that impressed, mainly because I hated the main characters. How they feel in the book is entirely different and there is so much more to everything, especially the secondary characters, in the book.

3) Kingdom Come. This is like the future of superheroes, featuring Superman, Batman etc and a whole bunch I didn't know. The story is fantastic and feels very real (for a world overrun by super beings) and the Alex Ross art is gorgeous.

4) Arkham Asylum. An old Batman classic. Again, amazing art and a very dark story.

5) Gregory by Marc Hempell. This is a bit different. It's about a kid in a mental institution. It's sad, funny and beautiful all in one.

6) It's a Bird. A great story about a comic writer asked to write a Superman comic and all the reasons he didn't want to do it. While that's going on, he comes to terms with an illness in his family. Sounds like a tv movie when I write that but it's really excellent.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. Oh, as already mentioned The Dark Knight Returns is a great classic.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                          Its been a real pain tbh due to the schedule requiring copy before some of the strips have finished being drawn - at one point it was ahead of the US comic release for Kick Ass 2, but recently we've had to move the on-sale to give us time to get copy in. The Pro is being run in the latest issue and is well worth checking out imo and I've loved Millar's Nemesis. Also I agree the features are utter ****, really could do with some interviews at least instead of crap like Sexy Pets and that. Its meant to be an introduction to comics so good to hear its managed to reach at least one person.
                          ah, so you actually work for Clint?
                          yeah, nemesis is great, and doesnt pull any punches.
                          i think jonathon ross has done a good job on turf, and the artwork for that is great too.
                          not sure how i would change the features tbh. some of the interviews, with simon pegg / nick frost, charlie brooker and david mitchell have been ok though

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            My recommendations are from someone not really much into comics. That's either a) a good thing as you're new too so I'm just picking the ones that really stood out or b) a bad thing as I don't know much about what I'm talking about. So here goes -

1) The Sandman by Neil Gaiman. This thing is a work of genius. The very first book doesn't have the best art and takes a little while to find its tone (I guess that's why the first book actually released wasn't the actual start...) but the series is absolutely brilliant. Very deep, very smart and full of wonderful characters.
                            cheers for those Dogg.
                            i keep seeing Sandman appear on the amazon recommend lists, and keep meaning to check it out.

Comment

Another shout for Sandman. So good I go back time and time again for another read-through.

Enjoying The Walking Dead too. About 7 volumes in. Very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X