No announcement yet.

Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got both of the variant covers for Marauders Annual #1, but not the regular cover. Got these because of Brimstone Love, who was a bad guy in X-Men 2099. The story on this is okay. Brimstone Love redesign looks good, originally he was a derpy demon looking dude.

Two issues of UK Amazing Spider-Man. Got these because getting any the UK releases can be a bit difficult later because very few people actually care about these UK releases. It's kinda funny that they mispelled the word awesome 2 months straight, I mean it is just someone a copy pasteing it, but one would imagine something like that getting noticed after it first got printed.

Had to take a picture of the original US covers from 2019 next to the UK more recent UK cover.

Comment

I like how you focus on Spider-Man 2099 and just get a few others.
      Makes for a nice streamlined collection.

Not collecting physical stuff, but reading stuff in the Comixology sales.

100 Bullets - I thought this was poor.
      Doomwar
      Hulk: The End
      Thanos Wins
      Punisher Max: The End
      Punisher Max: Vol. 7

Onto Infamous Iron Man (Doctor Doom becomes Iron Man) and I just picked up some Iron Fist comics in the current sale.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        I like how you focus on Spider-Man 2099 and just get a few others.
        Makes for a nice streamlined collection.

Not collecting physical stuff, but reading stuff in the Comixology sales.
        Thanks. Marvel 2099 is the highest priority in my collection, after that is Ninja Turtles. Spider-Man 2099 is not even my favourite 2099 comic, it's just that Spider-Man 2099 is the character that has been used the most after the 2099 line of comics ended in 1996. X-Men 2099 is my favourite 2099 series, followed by Doom 2099.

Other than collecting, I do read a lot of comics digitally too. Lately I have been in a huge isekai manga kick, with my favourites of that genre being "Ascendance of Bookworm" and "That Time I Was Reincarnated as a Slime".

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        100 Bullets - I thought this was poor.
        Doomwar
        Hulk: The End
        Thanos Wins
        Punisher Max: The End
        Punisher Max: Vol. 7

Onto Infamous Iron Man (Doctor Doom becomes Iron Man) and I just picked up some Iron Fist comics in the current sale.
        I started to read 100 bullets years ago, it was not something I enjoyed nor wanted to continue to read.

I liked Infamous Iron Man, it's just that I felt that any character development that happened during the series on Victor Von Doom got thrown out the window immediately after the series ends.

Comment

The thing I like about Doom is he's your classic Marvel Supervillain, trying to take over the world.

However, scratch the surface and his motivations are actually quite noble and he wants world peace... at any cost...

There's been a few stories where he's been the hero because he knows the sacrifice needed to save mankind, but I guess he'll always return to the original bad guy stance, which is a bit of a shame.

Comment

Rebellion: Masters of British Comics

Lots of british comics*!

* Of which I mostly know nothing about...

Comment

Originally posted by Deuteros View Post
              Rebellion: Masters of British Comics

Lots of british comics*!

* Of which I mostly know nothing about...
              Oh my there's some amazing stuff in there
              Just wish we could get them in print for that price
              I absolutely hate reading any comics on my phone screen

Comment

It's easy to hate Amazon because they're evil and would rather send their boss into space than pay a decent wage or taxes, but fair play, some of their integration of apps, devices and accounts are seamless.

However, they've properly taken over Comixology and bloody ruined it.

They literally had to do nothing, but instead, the Comixology website is gone and you're forced back onto Amazon.
                I couldn't find my books for ages!
                I used to archive my read books to remove clutter. That option has gone.
                It's been replaced with delete FOREVER, meaning you have to RE-BUY the comics!
                The "currently reading" is gone.
                The Wish List is gone (I checked every week for sale items).
                The Sales button is gone.
                The Smart lists is gone, which keeps all the above things in one place.

Worst of all, they've killed off the Comixology reader and forced you to use the Kindle reader which sucks balls.
                Look at this. I'm reading a comic and the page switched to 2 x portrait.
                I can't zoom in and I can't go to 1 page.
                I'm just stuck at being unable to read the tiny font.
                What is this? A comic for Ant-Man?!

Comment

Yeah, I'm dreading the thought of checking out how bad they messed things up. I've heard it's even worst if you purchase from outside the US and UK stores, since you'll have less features available in the app.

Comics no longer being grouped by series is a terrible loss but even worse is the loss of archived items. I had over a thousand of those I'll now have to sift through to find what I want.

I'll give it six months and read other stuff in the meantime, while they fix what was fine in the first place.

Comment

Decided to add some Valiant comics to fill the holes in my collection.

Magnus/Nexus crossover was not good. The two issues of Rai are part of the Malev War saga that ran for 27 issues in Magnus Robot Fighter and Rai And The Future Force, I'm still missing 2 or 3 issues (plus a few prelude issues) and I'll have that full storyline, so I'll hold off on reading these until I have completed the set.

Ordered the first 2 issues of Ultimo Ronin from Spain, they both combined with shipping cost me less than 1 issue of the North American comic before shipping... Found the Swedish Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles locally for 1 euro, so I had to take it to my collection. Last Ronin #2 4th printing was something that I was on the fence about, but then when it was relased I found a decently priced listing on eBay for it and decided to get it. I'm really glad to get it because it looks great next to the 1st and 2nd print covers.

Comment

A few pickups.

Magnus Robot Fighter #1, I thought that I got it for a decent price until it arrived. Was supposed to be near mint, but they probably just looked at the front cover. Back was water damaged and staples were rusted and the rust had eaten through the cover on the bottom. Got a refund and I changed the staples so that there won't be more damage.

Scarce #42 from 1994. French publication that has articles on American comics. Got it because of the 2099 cover.

Blacksad book 6. I really like the Blacksad series, since this ends on a cliffhanger I hope it won't take another 8-9 years for the next one to volume out. I would definitely recommend reading Blacksad.

Comment

Added some comics to my collection:

A few covers of Spider-Man 2099: Exodus Alpha #1. This first issue has some okay action, and a few good lines of dialogue, but overall not great. Also the main villain reveal was dum. So I would not recommend. But as a fan of 2099 I have to get everything... But I don't have enough money to get everything. This series lasts 7 issues and there are total of 43 different covers in the 7 issues, and some of the covers are really expensive, so I don't know how many I'll end up getting, but I am getting as many as I can. The top right is my least favourite of these variant covers, the rop left is the regular cover and in my opinion the best, bottom left is a connecting cover by Ron Lim and I will definitely be getting all 7 of them as Ron Lim (who penciled X-Men 2099) is my favourite 2099 artist from the 90's.

Rise of TMNT: Sound Off #1 I got because it was cheap. Not awful, clearly aimed at young audience as was the show. Neat addition to my collection. I might add some more Rise of TMNT comics to my collection if I find them for cheap.

FCBD 2022 TMNT I got just because of the cover. I really don't care about the IDW TMNT that much, but this is a sweet cover and the story is kinda fun as it uses the panel layout of the first half of Mirage TMNT #1 but tells a story of the possible future bad guys of the IDW continuity (I guess).

Catch These Hands gets a big recommendation from me. Really cute yuri story about two former delinquents who used to fight regularly with each other, who end up meeting by a chance as adults and then one of them challenges the other to a fight for the last time with the stipulation of "If I win, you will go out with me on a date". I read this digitally first, but then I just had to buy it physically as well. I'll definitely be picking up the next book when it comes out.

Comment

Batman: The Knight.
                          It's been OK, up and down. It's interesting to see the training he went through to become Batman, but hasn't really done much with it through the run.

Batman
                          This new run by Zdarsky started a little shaky, but I think there were other things in the Batman universe that needed wrapping up before Zdarsky could get into his stride. But issue 124 - 128 have been absolutely brilliant.

XMEN
                          I do enjoy xmen, but this new era is a little wobbly. Its cool in parts and I enjoy all the time lines stuff. But for me it's missing the human element.

Comment

Star Trek Lower Decks has been good and fun read. I do dislike the price of the comic, as it was originally announced for 3.99 and then they bumped it up to 6.99 and the paper quality of the cover is really bad. Well thankfully it is just a 3 issue miniseries. I got the 1:10 variant for #1 because it's really neat.

Savage Avengers #6 is dumb in the best possible ways, I really enjoyed it. From the start is shows that it's not even trying to tie itself into the previous 2099 stories but happens in a separate 2099 universe. After how bad of a clusterf--- Spider-Man 2099 Exodus was, this is absolutely a welcome take on 2099. I hope it stays good.

I've also been picking up some Donald Duck covers that humor me. These are part of one of my subsets that I am collecting.

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                            Batman
                            This new run by Zdarsky started a little shaky, but I think there were other things in the Batman universe that needed wrapping up before Zdarsky could get into his stride. But issue 124 - 128 have been absolutely brilliant.
                            Been reading Batman digitally and the current run has been pretty good, "Failsafe" has been a intresting storyline. I have enjoyed Nightwing more, and have been thinking of adding issues of it to my physical collection. I really love this scene where Barbara Gordon is wearing a shirt where Batman slaps Robin (Dick Grayson) while she is talking to Dick Grayson. Awesome visual gag.

Comment

Bill Willingham made Fables public domain. He also has some scathing things to say on the integrity (or the lack thereof) of the people currently running DC Comics.

Willingham Sends Fables Into the Public Domain

Comment

Working...
                              X