Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wakka View Post
    Out of interest, why are they all 9.8? What is the difference between 9.8 and 9.9 or 10?
    For Modern era comics, there’s no reason why they should be anything less, as the collecting community now takes greater care, and has the means to do so, than earlier era’s.

9.9 and 10’s are by and large, quite rare, as they are nearly ‘perfect’. A 9.9 or 10 cost way more to upgrade from a 9.8, than upgrading from a 9.6 to a 9.8. Most modern era slabbed collectors want the best grade available.

I’m part of the problem I guess, as I try to buy the highest grade my wallet can afford. I could have saved hundreds of £’s if I wanted 9.6’s or less. And if I bought ungraded copies instead of slabbed, I literally could have saved thousands.

A fool and there money are easily parted.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post

Vampirella

I freaking love those dude
      Those covers are beautiful

Do you have your eye on any more?

Neil

Comment

Reposted from The Free Digital Stuff Thread.

Here at Nerdist, we love celebrating great art and bringing it to you so that you can enjoy it with us. Though the current coronavirus situation might not immediately seem like it’s the best time to discover something new, artistic communities from around the world have been coming together online to share their work for people who are currently self-isolating or who are under quarantine.

The comic book community has been at the center of the digital response to the coronavirus, and over the past week, creators and publishers have been generously sharing their comics for free. So I’ve curated some of the best, brightest, and most exciting offerings for you right here in a collection that includes over 100 free stories you can read right now!
        Here Are Over 100 Comics You Can Read for Free Right Now

Going into self-imposed isolation to combat the spread of COVID-19? Fear not, 2000 AD is here to make the process less painful – and for free!

The critically and fan-acclaimed Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files Vol.5 is now available to download FOR FREE from the 2000 AD webshop.

This 400-page collection includes classic Judge Dredd stories such as The Mega-Rackets, Judge Death Lives!, Diary of a Mad Citizen, The Hotdog Run, and the all-time great mega-epic Block Mania and The Apocalypse War!

Written by John Wagner (A History of Violence) and Alan Grant (Batman), it features artwork by some of the titans of comics, including Brian Bolland (Batman: The Killing Joke), Carlos Ezquerra (Preacher), Colin Wilson (Blueberry), Ian Gibson (Halo Jones), Mick McMahon (The Last American), Ron Smith (Transformers), and Steve Dillon (Preacher)!
        Free to download: 400 pages of epic Judge Dredd!

Sunstone Vols. 1 - 6 by Stjepan Šejić.

Comment

Thanks! That's great stuff.

And it should be noted that the free Dredd collection there contains some fantastic stories. Some real classics in there.

Comment

@Super Grover Just out of curiosity: do you also own non-sealed, readable versions? I was into comics collection myself and still buy artbooks, but I've never quite understood the reason why would someone buy a sealed copy they are unable to read.
            I mean, I understand why, but never did it myself. Those covers make the magazines look incredibly interesting, I would be itching to flip through them every time I see them.

Comment

@briareos_kerensky - sorry for the late reply, been caught up with the end of the world drama! Yes, I still buy ‘raw’ comics, but only the odd title. I have the Marvel Unlimited App, so that takes care of the majority of my reading list. Actually my daughter spends more money buying readable (raw) comics than me. We often pop down to our LCS where at the back of the shop, they have a dozen long boxes full of comics priced at 50p each. Admittedly a lot of it is dross, but she always seems to be able to spend £10 before I say that’s enough, lol. Anyways, I’ll be seeking your advice soon as I’m looking into buying some Gundam kits, and you are the man for that kinda thing!
              @Soundwave - apologies to you too dude. Got another 3 in the post coming to me, and then I’m down to finding 2 on my list, which shouldn’t be too difficult and not that expensive (famous last words!).

Here’s a couple from the now defunct publisher Dreamwave. Holofoil wraparound covers are gorgeous in the light.

Some Vampirella ...

Comment

@briareos_kerensky - sorry for the late reply, been caught up with the end of the world drama! Yes, I still buy ‘raw’ comics, but only the odd title. I have the Marvel Unlimited App, so that takes care of the majority of my reading list. Actually my daughter spends more money buying readable (raw) comics than me. We often pop down to our LCS where at the back of the shop, they have a dozen long boxes full of comics priced at 50p each. Admittedly a lot of it is dross, but she always seems to be able to spend £10 before I say that’s enough, lol. Anyways, I’ll be seeking your advice soon as I’m looking into buying some Gundam kits, and you are the man for that kinda thing!
                @Soundwave - apologies to you too dude. Got another 3 in the post coming to me, and then I’m down to finding 2 on my list, which shouldn’t be too difficult and not that expensive (famous last words!).

Here’s a couple from the now defunct publisher Dreamwave. Holofoil wraparound covers are gorgeous in the light.

Some Vampirella ...

No worries man.
                So what are the last 2 you need now then?

Did love the Dreamwave stuff.
                They made some great books (no just the TF stuff) & I love the holofoil covers.
                Think I might have a lenticular War Within issue 1 somewhere.

Also massive props on the Vampirella books, Love that cover

Did you get any of his Supergirl run?

Also if you haven't quite decided to officially stop check out some of the Batgirl books with Joshua Middleton covers?
                Some of those are nice.

Neil
                Last edited by Soundwave; 30-03-2020, 12:39.

Comment

Dark Horse is giving away lots of free comics. Mostly first issues of series, but a few collected editions and graphic novels are included as well.

Comment

Twelve free Marvel comics at comiXology. These are meaty collected editions, not single issues.

Comment

Neil - I’m just after a couple of Vampirella issues, and then barring my wants that don’t ever come up for sale, I’m pretty much done. I’ve only got a couple of Batgirl & Supergirl books, there’s one Batgirl cover which is done by Artgerm and it’s fantastic. I’ll fish it out and post it sometime soon.

A while ago I ordered TMNT issue 100, store variant cover in a 9.8. The store got back their allocation from CGC, and of the 21 submitted for grading, 8 came back as 9.9. The store held a live IG video where they gave each purchaser a number and then did a draw. My number was dawn first(!), so I was super happy how that turned out.

My first and probably only 9.9 I’ll ever own ...

Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Horse freebies [MENTION=6240]Deuteros[/MENTION], I’ve wanted to read Black Hammer for a while now.

Comment

Neil - I’m just after a couple of Vampirella issues, and then barring my wants that don’t ever come up for sale, I’m pretty much done. I’ve only got a couple of Batgirl & Supergirl books, there’s one Batgirl cover which is done by Artgerm and it’s fantastic. I’ll fish it out and post it sometime soon.

A while ago I ordered TMNT issue 100, store variant cover in a 9.8. The store got back their allocation from CGC, and of the 21 submitted for grading, 8 came back as 9.9. The store held a live IG video where they gave each purchaser a number and then did a draw. My number was dawn first(!), so I was super happy how that turned out.

My first and probably only 9.9 I’ll ever own ...

Thanks for the heads up on the Dark Horse freebies @Deuteros, I’ve wanted to read Black Hammer for a while now.
                        Nice, which Vampirella issues are you looking for?

Yeah the Artgerm Batgirl cover was lush
                        I have a few Artgerm prints & a couple of his Zenescope covers IIRC
                        Wish it was easier to get his prints in the UK but he only does US cons & getting them from there is practically impossible

(Sorry about the Photobucket watermarks...my paid subscription expired & I can`t be arsed to start again or find another good image hosting site that was as easy to use to move it all to)

Neil

Comment

All nice stuff, chaps!

Found some Classics up the loft.
                          Read The Dark Knight, Robocop 1 & 2, 1985 and started Watchmen.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            All nice stuff, chaps!

Found some Classics up the loft.
                            Read The Dark Knight, Robocop 1 & 2, 1985 and started Watchmen.
                            Thanks man

Was looking to get some new Graphic Novels in for the Lockdown but went to my bestest online retails & they have stopped all orders & shipping during the crisis

Not using amazon as even with Prime I'm not going to see them until the arse end of April

Still refuse to go digital, reading them on my phone just doesn't appeal to me in the slightest & I can't get up the storage unit to dig out some old classics because I'm not allowed

Neil

Comment

Any jazz mags in that lockup?

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                                Any jazz mags in that lockup?
                                Not really no...although I do have a Transformers comic that features Jazz if that's of any use

And Also a Toy of Jazz

Does that help at all??

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X