Recommended graphic novels / comics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, what?

DC are rebooting everything? So all the issues are starting from #1 again, but are the stories carrying over from this universe (e.g. Bruce Wayne) or are they going to be in this new universe (Thomas Wayne)?

I definitely prefer Marvel to DC. I tried dipping into the Darkest of Nights crossover thing, but was soooo lost!

I'm currently reading Mark Millar's 1985, which is great fun. I like that he can do whimsical as well as ultra-gore, it's quite refreshing.

I miss DC's old logo though...

Comment

Originally posted by alf View Post
      I've used www.comic-biz.com for over 10 years. Excellent service and never had a problem.

At one point I collected over 50 comics - it would cost over ?120-130 a month !!! - but have now got it down to a more managable 11.

You can have them posted out to you weekly or monthly - they tend to do the monthly ones the first week of the month.

Fantastic Alf.
      Cheers for that!

I've recently bought all the Power Girl trades so I'd consider that my gentle introduction to comics, even though I used to rent all the trades/graphic novels in the local library when I was a kid. Really enjoyed what I've read of Power Girl so far.

Also at MCM Expo recently I got a copy of Fish and Chocolate (http://forbiddenplanet.com/74991-fish-chocolate/) and even got it signed by the lovely Kate Brown.

Comment

Im currently half way through the Y The Last Man books. Very interesting. I'm intrigued by how they will explain what has happened, if they even do that at all. A great twist on the apocalypse even though some of the storylines are a tad aggressive and far fetched, as they always are with this type of story.

New Walking Dead book next week! Woop!!

Comment

I just recently heard that Marvel have been putting a lot of their comics online to be viewed if you have a subscription. Does anyone do this and is it worth it? I would like to get into something again but don't fancy the hassle or cost of getting the real thing delivered.

Comment

I've tried reading some on my iPod Touch & it's hopeless screen is way to small to make it enjoyable.
            I've heard they are awesome on iPad's though.

Not tried it on the Laptop but expect it would be passable.

Nothing IMO comes close to reading a proper comic though.

Neil

Comment

I'm pretty sure I spotted a hardback copy of Iron Man: Extremis for about ?8.99 in WH Smiths the other day. I think they're doing Marvel stories in hardback format in those fortnightly collection schemes.

Extremis is a great little story with fantastic art.

Comment

Finished World War Hulk last night & it was awesome.

Well written, lovely artwork, well paced & just a brilliant story.

Never been a huge fan of the Hulk but after watching the Planet Hulk cartoon I decided to pick up the GN & that was awesome & I HAD to read WWH after that...a super strong, mega pissed off hulk that takes on the illuminati & any other super you can think of...bring it on

If you've got a passing interest in the Hulk then these are must buys IMO

Neil

Comment

Good choices, Neil.

I think I preferred Planet Hulk more because it was a good self-contained story. I made the mistake of reading all the comics in the WWH crossover event and it ran through about eight different series and about 40 comics!

I'd have probably enjoyed it more if I'd just read the main comic because I like a good crossover story, it just felt too sprawling. Some great dust-ups in it though. I think Wolverine, Juggernaut, Ghost Rider and Sentry were my faves.

Don't bother with Fall of the Hulks, it's not very good.

I really enjoyed the following crossover events - Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Seige. Try picking those up.
                  I also thought the Invincible Iron Man, Mighty Avengers and Dark Avengers were all good fun too. All of those had some great story arcs.

I've just started The Boys by Garth Ennis, who wrote Punisher MAX and Crossed amongst others.

Comment

Yeah Planet Hulk was great & the cartoon was different enough from the real comics that it was joy to read & it didn't feel like I was re-treading the cartoon.

Lol that's some commitment with the side arcs as well.
                    Didn't realise there were more dust ups not included I may have a look at those if I can get them cheap.
                    The Sentry one was immense & you could really feel the power struggle going on with them there.

Funny you should mention Secret Invasion, Dark Reign & Seige.
                    I got Seige for my Birthday last week but was told I should read Secret Invasion & Dark Reign first so I've ordered Secret Invasion today & I'm starting to look into the Dark Reign series & will working my way through a lot of them including that Dark Avengers which has a gorgeous looking hardcover available on Amazon at the moment...

Not cheap but it does have both volumes in it so I'm quite tempted.

I've heard really good things about The Boys, that's another one on my to read list.

I tell you what getting back into comics is a particularly expensive pass time lol

Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Neil

Comment

Ooooh look what I found in the anals of Forum history

Thought I should ressurect it as I've been on a little bit of a buying purge lately & have finally completed collecting what I have been led to believe is one of the best Arcs ever to grace the comic universe (or so Neodragon has told me lol)

Marvels Annihilation saga

Over the last 3 weeks I have managed to pick up everything required to read th saga in order & now I can't wait to get started

Been spending a small fortune on some other GN's as well recently but waiting for them to arrive so will get them added to the thread soon.

So anyone else been buying stuffs lately??

Neil

Comment

I've gotten back into comics big time since getting a tablet.

While I'm not a fan of DC's general stuff, I'm currently enjoying the darker side The New 52 series (Justice League Dark, Animal Man, Swamp Thing). Animal Man in particular has been pure nightmare fuel in parts.

I'm also catching up on Atomic Robo - which is kind of like Hellboy but with a robot instead of a demon. And a lot more flippant and fun.

Also recently finished reading the first issue of Revival

The dead have come back to life in a remote American town (but not in a Zombie way, they're just as they were) and it's starting to cause havoc.

I even liked the teasers they put out before launch

Always difficult to tell how a new series is going to turn out based on just one issue, but I thought it was a strong start. A little bit creepy and left me wanting to read more.

Oh and special mention for Chew, which is one of the most consistently entertaining comics I've read in a long time

Comment

Some of those sound awesome Spatial.

Love the idea of Revival.

I've heard Chew is pretty awesome as well & totally bonkers.
                          Have you seen how much the first print of issue one is selling for??

Don't think for a second he'll get over ?2k for it but even reprints are over ?100 normally

Neil

Comment

Wow, that is nuts!

Just go for the TPB, it's a little bit cheaper . Seriously though, it's well worth it when you've got a free slot of read. I don't think I've laughed / been enthralled by a comic in a long time as much as Chew managed to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial View Post
                              Wow, that is nuts!

Just go for the TPB, it's a little bit cheaper . Seriously though, it's well worth it when you've got a free slot of read. I don't think I've laughed / been enthralled by a comic in a long time as much as Chew managed to do.
                              Lol yeah just a bit.
                              Might just pick that up...it's too cheap not too.

Something just made me laugh looking at the listing...there's a Kindle edition
                              Can Kindle's do comics??

Neil

Comment

I'm definitely looking forward to Revival whenever it hits in trade form.

Been reading early issues of The Darkness lately, absolutely love that comic. The panel layouts are really dynamic and inventive, art and colouring are great, particularly on the full page spreads when Jackie really lets rip with all his powers. Plus perhaps the coolest cameo ever when they recount the rediscovery of the Spear of Destiny. Just read the introduction arc of The Magdalena and some brilliant comedy moments there, don't think I've ever laughed out loud while reading a comic before but some of the stuff Jackie comes out with is just brilliant in a dark humour way.

Read The Light by Nathan Edmondson and while I really like the story, and the artwork is phenomenal (very sketchy but with nice use of light and dark as it's mostly set at night), it felt like the pacing was a little off in places. If they'd squeezed a few more panels in to their larger ones I think it would have done a lot more to ramp the tension up. It's a single arc post apocalyptic tale but focuses on the plight of a father and daughter and has a very unique premise. A great concept and enjoyable read though despite the pacing issue.

Started reading 100 Bullets too, not really feeling it at the moment though. Several times in the first issue alone I lost track of who was saying what and found it a bit confusing, there's plenty of slang but the lettering and panel layout I'm also finding a bit non-intuitive. It's not enough to turn me off at the moment, but definitely breaking the flow up.

Comment

Working...
                                X