Coffee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
    I don't drink tea or coffee, but highly recommend the Nespresso machines. Totally awesome - no mess, fast and the frother heater milk magnetic thingy is amazing. Just so easy. Lucy tells me the flavour selection is very good too. One of her fave purchases.
    I have one of the new models of these.

Let me tell you something, it will blow your mind so, please, sit down.

The automatic milk frother / warmer / do-everything-er works USING MAGNETS. This is no troll. This is real. Magents spin the thing like a tiny ant sized LHC. It is exceptional. Who the f*ck thought they could use magnets so effectively in a coffee machine?

But for the actual coffee part of it I largely drink Espresso. The range of coffee flavours is as diverse as you could want with Nespresso, each cap has a flavour identification guide and strength tasting note. You will generally want to use a lighter coffee for milk based drinks and a stronger, more intense flavour for espresso or ristretto etc.

There simply isn't a better brand of coffee machines out there. If you are in London go to the store in Knightsbridge near Harrods or the concession in Selfridges to try a coffee. You can ask about the different sugars and snacks (biscotti like things) they have. Pretentious? Perhaps a little, but it is excellent coffee.

Comment

This topic is brought to you by Nespresso!

Nespresso - what else

Comment

do you also find the lovely shiny poncey nespresso mag you get sent makes you drink 6 capsules in rapid succession and want to order the latest designer cups - I love my all glass vaccum walled lungo citiz cups !

love the xmas variations too, they should be horrible but somehow work, the chestnut one last year was lovely and the vanilla this year is superb (should be hideous though)

intestingly (if you are a nerd) all the machines have the exact same pump and are built in the same factory, you are paying solely for features (like frothing, memory of measures etc) and more so for styling

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
          do you also find the lovely shiny poncey nespresso mag you get sent makes you drink 6 capsules in rapid succession and want to order the latest designer cups - I love my all glass vaccum walled lungo citiz cups !

love the xmas variations too, they should be horrible but somehow work, the chestnut one last year was lovely and the vanilla this year is superb (should be hideous though)

intestingly (if you are a nerd) all the machines have the exact same pump and are built in the same factory, you are paying solely for features (like frothing, memory of measures etc) and more so for styling
          I love that magazine. And the nude pictures of George Clooney contained within. It is a brand as much as anything else and once you get caught up in it - you're lost. Kind of like a less expensive Porshce owners club or something like that.

Love the Vanilla blend, have had some bad ones though, I remember an orange one being overly bitter. I was vaguely aware that the machines are all largely the same. I just got an entry level milk machine (heh heh) that looked nice, black and silver. My mate who has been into Nespresso for years still has an old machine with a steamer for milk on it. He swears it makes a better froth but the amount of times he burns himself with it it can't be worth it in my eyes.

Comment

I like all the lifestyle shots of architects drinking espresso from their latest machine sat by Lake Geneva, its very similar for me sat in my armchair looking out at the Enfield skyline.

The Apricot was pretty ropey last time round in the flavoured blends but the spiced gingerbread one was awesome too.

We were all chatting the other day about things you have that you are far too attached too bearing in mind their function, my Nespresso machine is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
              I like all the lifestyle shots of architects drinking espresso from their latest machine sat by Lake Geneva, its very similar for me sat in my armchair looking out at the Enfield skyline.

The Apricot was pretty ropey last time round in the flavoured blends but the spiced gingerbread one was awesome too.

We were all chatting the other day about things you have that you are far too attached too bearing in mind their function, my Nespresso machine is one of them.
              Lifestyle coffee. Because it's really tasty. I like the pricing too. It's obviously more expensive than drinking instant (and probably pre-ground too) but far cheaper than purchasing coffee from a barista based place. What is it, like 0.32p a cup?

Comment

I think its very reasonable for what it is, I thought its about 25p a pod (more for the specials) and you get awesome coffee and no mess or faff, well worth the premium price.

I never drink coffee out in the chains or restaurants now as even in Michelin starred places I've never had a cup I like as much as what I make at home.

its pure lifestyle, even talking about it now makes me want to place an order for some pods and drinks some. When I spend a day in I can do a scarey number of shots in a day of the stuff.
                Only exception I make is for a Costa flatwhite, which is lovely.

Comment

I've been looking into coffee machines for a few weeks, and was deciding between a FF!X1 (because it looks funky) or pushing the boat out and getting a Rancilio Silvia (entry level 'real' espresso machine). I like the idea of learning proper barista skills.

But in the end sense won out and I bought a Nespresso Citiz.

Comment

The Gaggia Classic is great machine, but does require some maintenance (back-flushing the head regularly, flushing the reservoir & pipes, etc) and a bit of patience to get the best results. Ours is 6 years old and still going strong.

I mainly buy Illy but like to experiment from time to time.

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                    Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee which was lovely, it's expensive stuff though.
                    Whitards was always great place to buy from in-store
                    You can get it from Harvey Nichols. My wife got me some for christmas

Comment

And for those who just want an instant brew.... I recommend Percol - and in particular the '6' strength espresso instant powder - which makes a really great coffee with a little froth on top too.

Morrisons stock it.

Comment

With the nepresso pods...is it one pod/1 cup..and you load it up like that?

I'm guessing the variety of pods is extensive?

Comment

I like coffee but won't go out of my way to make 'decent' stuff. I use the ground stuff occasionally but usually stick with Kenco Costa Rican or Carte Noir.

If you into your flavoured coffees then take a scoot at ebay - Monin is the brand. I have a bottle running up to Xmas - luxury with a squirt of cream on the top.

Comment

I'm not a coffee snob. I have a Tassimo.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
                              Hate coffee! Nobody else I know does though.
                              I dooooo.

Yum tea.

Comment

Originally posted by megatron View Post
                                I'm not a coffee snob. I have a Tassimo.
                                Nothing wrong with a Tassimo they make good longer coffees much better than instant anyway. When I want espresso I use a Bialetti Moka stove top, its a bit more effort than a proper espresso machine but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Oh and I frigging hate Starbucks, Costa, Nero etc. Not because the coffee is particualy bad but becuase there is so many of them! York city centre is tiny but it has 3 Starbucks, 3 Neros and 4 Costas its horrific.
                                Last edited by Ajay1986; 24-01-2011, 19:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X