No announcement yet.

Coffee.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a stainless Steel Bialetti Stove Pot. Time consuming but I can make a Latte better than any coffee shop I've ever been to and that's just using Tesco's cheapest blended beans!

@Ajay, let me know the diameter of your filter on your Moka. I bought 3 Bialetti new seals that are too small the other day. If they fit your pot you can have them (along with a spare filter that's also too small).

Comment

I used to rely on Neros for my black coffee fix. Now Im quitting as I was getting seriously addicted and felt I couldnt work without it. Thank god for H20. Now my life is back on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
        Nothing wrong with a Tassimo they make good longer coffees much better than instant anyway. When I want espresso I use a Bialetti Moka stove top, its a bit more effort than a proper espresso machine but a hell of a lot cheaper.

Oh and I frigging hate Starbucks, Costa, Nero etc. Not because the coffee is particualy bad but becuase there is so many of them! York city centre is tiny but it has 3 Starbucks, 3 Neros and 4 Costas its horrific.
        How much better is making a fresh cup from scratch. Grinding your beans et al?

I can't really notice the difference between buying at Starbucks and the Tassimo pods tbf.

Comment

Dude, starbucks isn't that good. Yes, a Tassimo pod round a friend's house tastes just as good as a Starbucks IMO. The difference between that and grinding the beans and brewing in an espresso pot is huge. Here's how I make mine:

Grind beans
          Into espresso pot and onto stove (maximum heat - some say not to do this but I reckon it's fine as long as you use a stainless steel pot (aluminium pots taint the flavour) )
          While that's brewing stick some milk in a pyrex jug and microwave it for a couple of minutes
          Milk will be done first so pour that into your massively oversized mug
          When the coffee is done pour on top opf the milk until it goes to a colour you find pleasing

Job done. Apologies for lack of exact measurements on anything.

Also, you'll find that doing it this way you can actually tell the difference between different beans. I always found that using a french press or a filter machine all I could really notice was the difference between a ligth and a dark roast as the character of the beans seemed to get lost.

Comment

Thread revival alert.

It's not often that I'm so impressed with something but after seeing one mentioned a few times I bought an aeropress.
            For something so reasonably priced it is a revelation.
            I'm using the inverted method.

Comment

Hot lava java, you can get this in most supermarkets now, strongest coffee you can get currently in the UK. Use an espresso pot only, stainless prefferably, if not aluminium will do, take it black, no milk, no sugar. Better than any coffee a shop will serve you.

Comment

I love coffee - but I can't stand all the messing around making it. Contradiction? Perhaps.

I use a Trottet machine at home - for the effort you have to put in (press a button) they have to make as close to perfect cup as it gets.

The thing is, (in my opinion, of course) Starbucks, Costa, Nero don't really produce a significantly better cup of black coffee than say Mc Donald's or Pret a Manger. Given that coffee is their "thing" you'd think that they would excel in the basics. It seems to me they have mostly gone for range in favour of excellence. Perhaps that's what you have to do when your operation is as huge as theirs.

I was in Gatwick airport the other day, and I had a coffee from one of those Jamie Oliver branded cafe "trucks" they have there - I wasn't expecting much - and when I got to the front of the queue the woman operating the coffee machine was struggling with it (I know this because she kept swearing at it and loudly remarking about how the management should get a better machine) - after what seemed like a very long time for a commercial outlet to make a small black coffee - she served up one the best cups of coffee I've tasted. One in the eye for my coffee snobbery!

Comment

I'll give the jamie oliver one a go when I'm at gatwick.

No coffee shop has ever made a latte as good as I can make myself so I'm always disappointed!

Stove top stainless steel espresso pot is the way to go. Easy to clean and nothing can go wrong (replacement seals once in a while). I go for a medium roast these days. If I'm in a hurry the. I use a little filter thing you just plonk on top of the cup. These require a nit too fine grind though so I just use adsa's regular ground coffee for this as my grinder does it too fine. Sometimes put a bit of gingerbread syrup in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                    I'll give the jamie oliver one a go when I'm at gatwick.

No coffee shop has ever made a latte as good as I can make myself so I'm always disappointed!

Stove top stainless steel espresso pot is the way to go. Easy to clean and nothing can go wrong (replacement seals once in a while). I go for a medium roast these days. If I'm in a hurry the. I use a little filter thing you just plonk on top of the cup. These require a nit too fine grind though so I just use adsa's regular ground coffee for this as my grinder does it too fine. Sometimes put a bit of gingerbread syrup in there too.
                    Might i sugest a pinch on nutmeg in the espresso pot with the coffee grains.

Comment

orly? Sounds interesting. So could I get some nutmeg and just let it be ground up alongside the beans and do it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                        If I'm in a hurry the. I use a little filter thing you just plonk on top of the cup.
                        I love these. I get 40 filters for $4 in Co-op.

I'm still mainly using my crappy little espresso machine that does it's damnest to shake my kitchen cupboards and wake the neighbours. Granted, I don't drink espresso technically as I add a splash of cream to the cup. I've gone from 18% to 10% fat and it makes little difference to the flavour, although I use Maxwell House Dark Roast as a 960g drum is $5-$7 when on sale. The grind isn't too fine to work it's way into the machine either, so a little less cleaning necessary.

Comment

Nespresso and a refillable Coffee Duck pod for me (or normal nespresso) makes a cracking cup, minimal cleanup and not too pricey.

Comment

I was going to buy a nespresso machine recently, but as always happens I end up looking at more and more gadgety machines until I found out that was more expensive.

It had ?80 off it though and seemed like a good buy, until it turned out after much faffing that the store was out of stock? Why? Because some bast had put it on hotukdeals. Damn them

Comment

Aren't those nespresso devices similar to inkjet printers in that the devices themselves are reasonably priced and they kill you on the consumables?

I'm buying a second aeropress to use at home as my wife was impressed too.

Comment

Yes. I think it's the ease of use and lack of mess that's attractive isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                                X