Catherine PS3 & 360 (demo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
    Low IQ pussies have been complaining the game is too difficult, so Atlus is creating a patch to make it easy:

Well done, Japan. Well done.
    What a load of crap. I finished it last night on easy. True, the nightmare sections are a right pain in the arse but it's far from impossible. I'm no puzzle fanatic however with a bit of thinking I managed to complete the game. Now, on normal that is a different story because you don't get any "rewind" option. One major cock up and it's game over I guess.

hopefully the patch will just be another difficulty setting. So then there will be Pussy, Easy, Normal and Nightmare.

Comment

Had a quick go on Easy last night and the one where she is chasing you with a fork caused me to retry a few times and that's like the 4th puzzle. Probably more down to me not using the right stick to look up the stack instead opting to just blindly try my own paths which often resulted in 'dead ends' with not enough to drop down and choose a new path.

Love this though, its really addictive and has surprisingly great surround sound and really lush cut scenes!

Comment

Does it have English subs?

Comment

Nope.

Comment

I hardly ever use the right stick also. What may seem like a dead end could just be a pain in the arse section. Some of the later levels are right F**kers. One even had me looking on YouTube for a players guide (stage 7-4) although after that I managed to do the rest on my own.

Unlike manh games these days the ending is well worth it. I'm just sad that many of you really won't understand the story. It's a great shame because the story has some very good twists near the end.

Comment

Couldn't find the demo again on the JP PSN Store. I give up!

Comment

Originally posted by englishbob View Post
                Couldn't find the demo again on the JP PSN Store. I give up!
                Yeah they took it off the PSN a week or two ago as it had reached it's download limit.

Comment

Two images to prove it is possible to complete this game without being a puzzle expert.

If I could do it, you can do it

Yakumo

Comment

Does it also prove there is full side boob on show, first pic?
                    Still hoping this gets US release, the Atlus valentines card must have been a sign.

Comment

The sheep are so wicked in this, hate to see them falling to their death or getting diced up by spike blocks

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
                        Does it also prove there is full side boob on show, first pic?
                        Hahahaha, I never noticed that. It's just Catherine's head I'm afraid.

Comment

Comment

Hmm, don't agree at all on these two points

Gameplay is unbalanced and simply doesn't work

How? Works perfectly fine. You push, pull and move and that's what it does.

Frustrating

I dissagree. Only if you can't do it and in that case every game is frustrating if you can't do it.

There are sections where you're forced to play in areas of levels you can't even see.

Actually, this is a problem that I agree about. This problem really need attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              There are sections where you're forced to play in areas of levels you can't even see.

Actually, this is a problem that I agree about. This problem really need attention.
                              Not being able to rotate the camera 360 degrees around the stack felt a bit like an unnecessary handicap when you accidentally find yourself lost on the wrong side of the blocks.

you can simply fall off the side of the tower

Obviously not got to that bit yet... so will hold off questioning it until I've finished the game.

Comment

Originally posted by spagmasterswift View Post
                                Not being able to rotate the camera 360 degrees around the stack felt a bit like an unnecessary handicap when you accidentally find yourself lost on the wrong side of the blocks.

you can simply fall off the side of the tower

Obviously not got to that bit yet... so will hold off questioning it until I've finished the game.
                                Erm...no you can't...

Anyways...

Oboro Muramasa for the Wii was the last game I imported from Japan, the beautifully vibrant art style won me over and, despite not really knowing what the hell was going on for the most part, I thoroughly enjoyed getting lost in it. When Catherine trailers started popping up online the mix of anime cutscenes with a simple gameplay mechanic made me think fondly of Killer7 (plus I'm a sucker for a blonde in lingerie) so a relatively expensive import purchase soon followed.

Its worth mentioning at this point that while the menus are on the whole in English, the entire story is presented in Japanese with no English subtitle option. Plus, the majority of events are conversation based - be it Vincent chatting in the Stray Sheep bar, texting people on his phone, talking to an unknown figure in a confessional booth, etc. Added to this is the morality system - your answers to certain questions determining a swing towards either Red (Catherine, the object of your affair) or Blue (Katherine, your long term partner).

While a lot of the plot is pretty easy to grasp from the visuals alone (Vincent drunkenly cheats on his woman, feels guilty) to help me understand the finer details I relied heavily on TokyoDomeSF4's youtube walkthrough. I'd play in the evening, taking a guess at what they were all discussing and then check out those scenes with the translation when I got into work. Perhaps not the most intuitive way to enjoy a videogame, but a pretty good solution under the circumstances! The story is rather predictable however, but there appears to be 8 different endings, 3 for each girl you side with (using the morality system) and two which don't feature either lady. I played through on Easy pushing the gauge towards the blue side (Katherine) and got a rather basic, yet still satisfying ending. Finishing the game unlocked a VS mode called 'Colosseum' (which allows for local play only).

There is also a Babel mode which remains locked, I've heard that you need to either complete the game on Normal difficulty or gain a certain amount of Gold Medals on Normal difficulty to access it. Hopefully this will become clear on my next playthrough.

Vincent spends an unhealthy amount of time in his local bar which offers a safe haven for him to chat with his friends, look at fun selfshots Catherine has sent to his phone while he's sat on the loo, listen to the jukebox (which contains some music from the Persona games) and play the Rapunzel arcade machine. Its this game's mechanic of pushing and pulling blocks around in order to climb a tower that become fused with his feelings of guilt and fear of commitment when he falls asleep at night. There are also other darker forces at work, but they must remain a mystery for fear of spoiling the story's more interesting events and endings.

There is a rumour going around that if you die in your dream then you will be found dead in your bed come the morning. The meat of the game takes place during Vincent's dreams where he (along with other unfortunate souls depicted as sheep) must scramble to the top of many towers in order to escape back into the waking world. Essentially its a puzzle game with a variety of different block types (unmoveable stone, slow moving rock, ice, old breakable stone, portals, springboards, explosive and even possessed) that both aid and hinder your progress. To inject some pace into the proceedings the bottom layer of blocks are slowly but surely falling away and you have a multiplier that requires you to get to the next level of blocks in a set time limit to keep it going, which, combined with coin collection, will result in a better grade of medal. Now and then Vincent will be faced by a boss fear who will also be chasing him up the stack and throwing obstacles into his path to try and halt his progress and scupper his plans. Its very challenging, but you also have the ability to undo moves which helps take the sting of frustration out of later levels. I found it all rather addictive and playing on Easy you get a hefty amount of retries urging you to have one more go.

There has been a patch recently to make the Easy mode even easier, which, as far as I can tell, slows the chase allowing you more time to plot your route, reduces the amount of attacks dealt you by a boss fear and increases the amount of retries awarded upon collecting a pillow. I've heard that you can also summon a power drink allowing you to leap several blocks in a single bound, but I couldn't see how that was triggered and sounds like an unnecessary and potentially game breaking addition.

Overall this looks wonderful and with a surprisingly effective use of surround sound is a treat for the ears. The use of the PS3's D-pad works well with the more old school style of gameplay and, the occasional camera issue aside, provides a hugely enjoyable and often exciting experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X