User Tag List

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Penguin, it seems like a year has passed since we spoke on this thread. How about watching youtube python tutorials instead? Seems like books aren't cutting it for you. That hanes book is a good GCSE pupil book. I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by cutmymilk View Post
    Penguin, it seems like a year has passed since we spoke on this thread. How about watching youtube python tutorials instead? Seems like books aren't cutting it for you. That hanes book is a good GCSE pupil book. I have it.
    I tried a few ages ago, found it harder actually as I canít split concentration between hearing/listening and reading/typing well if I have to do both; try and itís sensory overload time. (Apparently it comes with dyslexia, which I have.) Quickly got in a huge muddle that way.

Just try watching without coding. Just see where the patterns lie.

Have you actually had any code running?

I feel like rather than jumping around between books, languages and so on, you just need to focus on one thing. No resource will ever be perfect. If a something in your book doesn't make sense, google it and find another explanation. Or ask here!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna take back my recommendation to learn C. I've probably forgotten how hard it is to learn initially. Go with Python. So much help and examples out there.

C and C++ are terrible languages to start with because they require massive discipline and have loads of flaws, pointers will almost certainly trip you up and they are fundamental to the language, plus there are less jobs in this area these days.

Python is much easier to learn because there are less pitfalls, the very structure of the language forces you to format it in a certain way and the reason I'd go that route is because it's about learning fundamentals such as structures and variable types - the language is largely irrelevant, but hiding more of the metal makes it simpler.

Also, the starter recommendations made through these threads are starter recommendations - it doesn't get easier, if you can't wrap your head around the fundamentals, you will never get it - you can't break it down further than that, either you get it or you don't. Programming isn't for everyone, and just the same as painting or singing, some people simply cannot do it.
    Last edited by MartyG; 10-05-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Well put. Generally around 10% of pupils in secondary school make good CS students. There is a push that everyone should do it, but most simply won't, or can't.

Quote Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
    Have you actually had any code running?

I feel like rather than jumping around between books, languages and so on, you just need to focus on one thing. No resource will ever be perfect. If a something in your book doesn't make sense, google it and find another explanation. Or ask here!
    No, not really. I struggle to type in anything, particularly the numbers parts, so it all kind of falls apart when I tried some of the so-called Ďbeginnersí books.

Itís frustrating as I donít know how to ask, as much as I donít know who or where to ask. Plus if you google for anything about any of this, itís a minefield of scammers and people trying to sell you stuff!

Iíll definitely have an involved watch of that when I have the hours free and am in the right frame of mind. Promise.