Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Programming Thread (was New to Programming)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of different viewpoints which is definately helpful!

I've decided to stick with C++ in spite of how hard it apparently it. If I was actually doing this primarily to build some applications, I'd probably choose an simpler place to start like Java, but since that's not really my aim here, I'm just gonna take my time and try and get my head about C++.

I grabbed the 'Beginning Programming C++ for Dummies' book I mentioned earlier, which seems to primarily use Code::Blocks for everything (which is handy, being a free open source application). Been doing a chapter a night for the last few nights and am progressing nicely. There's plenty of resources in this thread once I 'graduate' from that book, so cheers again!

Comment

TBH I'd not mess around. If you want to do anything serious, learn C++. I prefered C myself, OOP just wasn't my thing, but it's what I'd recommend. If you just want to mess around and have fun, then Java. Or even Visual Basic, lol. I do like VB, all joking aside, wonderful to get something up and running so quickly

Comment

Perhaps someone here can point out some good environment tools for c++? Is Visual Studio still the weapon of choice? I might even try to pick up some myself

Comment

For Windows, Visual,Studio is fine yeah. Express 2010 is free too. The compiler is much more standards compliant too these days.

Comment

Does anyone want to learn to program?

Sometime after uni ends for the year, around late May, I'm going to find myself with some free time. I figure I'll learn some C#, as much as I can before uni starts up again. Learning to program is something I always tell myself I want to do, but then never get around to.

Realistically, I'll spend four months playing Xbox LIVE Indie Games.

But then that's where you come in. I figure that if a few of us want to learn C# together, we can get a little section of the forum set up for it, and we can all help each other through it when we get stuck. Then the experienced programmers on the forum can come in and laugh at how inept we all are but also offer advice and help so they feel less guilty about how much they laughed at us.

Learning together would be the motivation that I and others need to actually get into it properly. So yeah, we all grab the same book or something, and work through it together at the same time. Anyone up for that?

Serious applicants only.

Comment

I could be up for this. I actually have a C++ book standing behind me from when I wanted to get super rich from making iPhone Apps (yes, I know iOS uses a slightly different language, but C++ seemed like the most widespread one, and as soon as you know one of the C's, it's easy to learn another). While that never materialized, this could be just the thing to get me through it.

Any reason you wanna learn C# over the others? Is it used for much else game related than XBLIG? I would still be up for it, just wondering.

Comment

Just heard that it's more suitable for learning from scratch than C++ would be. Or to put it another way, it has the best balance between ease of learning and use in the real world.

Comment

I've been pretending to learn Java on and off so I can write Android apps. Always game to learn something new.

Comment

I'm up for the laughing at you all bit. We should have a coding corner though definitely.

Comment

I teach A level computing and am about to get my teeth into C# for some of the kids' projects next year who want to use XNA ..... currently happy in python, java, pascal (cough), and C so shouldn't be too tough - looks quite nice from a brief play so far and XNA looks very cool. If you are interested in playing and know Java check out www.processing.org which is great fun for quick results. For C# google C# yellow book by Rob Miles. It's the best free programming book I have seen.

Comment

Yesterday, Microsoft updated their C# tutorials for XNA:

They're actually pretty good, a big improvement on the old ones, with much more structure. If you learn C# you can develop apps/games for 360 Indie Games and the Windows Mobile Platform. As a beginner, I'd steer clear of Android dev. Compared to C#, it's a complete mess.

Comment

Okay, anyone genuinely up for this? IT'S ALMOST TIME. If anyone's got any recommendations for books for the total beginner I'd love to hear 'em, otherwise we'll just end up with C# for Dummies and work from that and the internet!

Comment

You don't need a book. If you want to go the C# route, do the tutorials I linked to above. They're designed for the total beginner. If you get stuck, Google it. C# is *highly* documented on the web. They won't teach you everything, but they are great starting points. Don't rely on others to motivate you. And don't underestimate how much you can learn in a short period. Modern programming paradigms are designed to ease the abstract bridge between concept and implementation.
                            Last edited by bcass; 15-05-2011, 03:24.

Comment

If I use those tutorials, I'll be able to make a shooting game. I'd rather learn some basics before I jump straight into what will actually just be me copying someone's code and never quiiite understanding what's happening. Plus, book means I can switch the internet off, that'll help

This isn't about relying on others to motivate each other, just that it can't hurt and if we're all learning together, we can all help each other together. If I'm on my own, so be it!

Last edited by toythatkills; 15-05-2011, 10:44.

Comment

It's also been statistically proven that people learn faster from printed material, I know I've always found that to be the case anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X