User Tag List

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    There's a Learn Python bundle on Humble Bundle at the moment: https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...n=tile_index_4

£1 tier has Python for the Absolute Beginner. I'm not familiar with the book, but for a pound, it's probably worth a punt if you're interested in the language.

Quote Originally Posted by cutmymilk View Post
    Just want to say, this video is great. I've struggled with programming in the past and this tutorial explained everything in an easily understandable and digestible format, while leaving me room to play about and experiment.

What it also showed me was that I like the idea of programming far more than programming itself. I could follow everything he was teaching but I fell off because it couldn't keep my interest. That's no fault of the guy teaching, it's just not for me.

If you haven't tried it yet @Protocol Penguin I recommend giving it a try.

Iíve realised I could never give decent advice on how to do this stuff because Iíve been doing it too long and canít really remember how I learnt and even if I could itís probably not the way to learn today. Someone who learnt on the last 5 years or so would provide better advice I reckon.

Not aimed at the novice, but these three books are currently available for free from Fanatical

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/...m_medium=email

Quote Originally Posted by Cepp View Post
    Just want to say, this video is great. I've struggled with programming in the past and this tutorial explained everything in an easily understandable and digestible format, while leaving me room to play about and experiment.

What it also showed me was that I like the idea of programming far more than programming itself. I could follow everything he was teaching but I fell off because it couldn't keep my interest. That's no fault of the guy teaching, it's just not for me.

If you haven't tried it yet @Protocol Penguin I recommend giving it a try.
    Sorry @Cepp Ė didnít get round to replying until now.

Tried it back in July when you suggested it, and I literally couldnít follow any of it. Utterly confusing and beyond my level, I canít state enough that Iím a beginner with no trained experience. TBH I have given up on the idea at that point, as Iím probably too old to learn it, donít have the time outside of work, and the main issue, I will never be able to afford to get the qualifications required to earn money from it all anyway. The COVID situation has made me reevaluate a lot of things, and realistically I just am not going to have any opportunity to upskill in my future as thereís no funding. So itís most likely not worth the stress of even thinking about it too much.
    Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 19-10-2020 at 01:28 AM.

Good idea.

It's not worth stressing over, really.

@vanpeebles I can be bothered, you unpleasantly hate-filled cretin. Itís lack of funding for retraining. Iíd jump at doing a proper instructed course if given the chance. Doesnít help that people who can already do programming for a living refuse to do anything constructive to actually help beginners other than howling with nerd laughter.

I come from an era when computing was self taught, you showed an interest, and learnt yourself.