User Tag List

Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
    @vanpeebles I can be bothered, you unpleasantly hate-filled cretin. It’s lack of funding for retraining. I’d jump at doing a proper instructed course if given the chance. Doesn’t help that people who can already do programming for a living refuse to do anything constructive to actually help beginners other than howling with nerd laughter.
    I know your frustrations, mate.

I don't know if you're like me, but I just can't self-study. I need a teacher in front of me. I'm paying through the nose for Japanese lessons for that same reason. I'd save tons of money if I could sit down with a book and learn Japanese myself. I could even do it for free. I have a Japanese wife, ffs! It's all there on a silver platter, if I could just sit still for five minutes

I always thought I couldn't study because I got easily distracted but I booked a week off work to do private Japanese lessons and the only stuff I learned was during the lessons themselves. I even had a few anxiety/panic attacks.

I stared at my first homework assignment for around twenty minutes. I just had to write five sentences and change the words. I spent nineteen minutes staring at the paper, then one minute writing two sentences. I wasn't even playing games or using internet. I felt like ****.

I could barely move my arms after the lesson and after a few bites of dinner, I just went straight to bed.

But did I give up?

Of course I did. The next morning I asked the teacher if we could study easier stuff. I still don't do any studying by myself and she's even stopped giving me homework. I'm trying not to think about the progress I could be making because it makes me feel worse.

Back to IT, my manager is asking me to look for courses to study a CCNA and some server admin stuff and I'm already scared that I won't absorb anything.

So yeah, don't worry if you're not taking to programming. It's not a sign that you can't do programming, it's just that you need to study it in a particular way.

Quote Originally Posted by vanpeebles View Post
    I come from an era when computing was self taught, you showed an interest, and learnt yourself.
    Yes, because that helps get the money to pay for the actual qualifications as required by even the most entry level jobs in the field. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
    Yes, because that helps get the money to pay for the actual qualifications as required by even the most entry level jobs in the field. FFS.
    There is no magical course like that which will set you up to walk straight into a job with zero experience.

My current firm would take on a programmer who had no qualifications, if they had some other way to prove they knew what they were doing e.g. an open source project on github.

I used to teach C++ at the local college and the only students who would ever complete the course were the ones who could basically already program. They were largely there for the qualification and to learn better software engineering practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    My current firm would take on a programmer who had no qualifications, if they had some other way to prove they knew what they were doing e.g. an open source project on github.

I used to teach C++ at the local college and the only students who would ever complete the course were the ones who could basically already program. They were largely there for the qualification and to learn better software engineering practices.
    Exactly, the drop out rate is massive.

Ahhhh. Get higher, baby!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Paleboy PSN ID: paleboy1970 Steam ID: paleboy
    Yeah, when I started my BTEC back in the late 80s, the head tutor in his introduction said "to anybody who thinks this about video games or playing video games, they should leave now" and to my surprise, about 4 people looked around, got up and left and were never seen again!!

Quote Originally Posted by gunrock View Post
    Yeah, when I started my BTEC back in the late 80s, the head tutor in his introduction said "to anybody who thinks this about video games or playing video games, they should leave now" and to my surprise, about 4 people looked around, got up and left and were never seen again!!
    And their names were Phil Spencer, Cliff Blezinsky, Hideki Kamiya and Shigeru ‘Shiggsy’ Miyamoto

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

Well, how am I meant to get the qualifications without being able to program because I canít afford a course with taught instruction, yet from the sounds of things would fail a course (were I able to afford one) because I canít already program? I donít understand how or where Iím meant to get into all of this, given thereís no funding for education for people in my position.