Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Programming Thread (was New to Programming)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a Learn Python bundle on Humble Bundle at the moment: https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...n=tile_index_4

£1 tier has Python for the Absolute Beginner. I'm not familiar with the book, but for a pound, it's probably worth a punt if you're interested in the language.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
      Just want to say, this video is great. I've struggled with programming in the past and this tutorial explained everything in an easily understandable and digestible format, while leaving me room to play about and experiment.

What it also showed me was that I like the idea of programming far more than programming itself. I could follow everything he was teaching but I fell off because it couldn't keep my interest. That's no fault of the guy teaching, it's just not for me.

If you haven't tried it yet @Protocol Penguin I recommend giving it a try.

Comment

I’ve realised I could never give decent advice on how to do this stuff because I’ve been doing it too long and can’t really remember how I learnt and even if I could it’s probably not the way to learn today. Someone who learnt on the last 5 years or so would provide better advice I reckon.

Comment

Not aimed at the novice, but these three books are currently available for free from Fanatical

Comment

Originally posted by Cepp View Post
            Just want to say, this video is great. I've struggled with programming in the past and this tutorial explained everything in an easily understandable and digestible format, while leaving me room to play about and experiment.

What it also showed me was that I like the idea of programming far more than programming itself. I could follow everything he was teaching but I fell off because it couldn't keep my interest. That's no fault of the guy teaching, it's just not for me.

If you haven't tried it yet @Protocol Penguin I recommend giving it a try.
            Sorry [MENTION=6808]Cepp[/MENTION] – didn’t get round to replying until now.

Tried it back in July when you suggested it, and I literally couldn’t follow any of it. Utterly confusing and beyond my level, I can’t state enough that I’m a beginner with no trained experience. TBH I have given up on the idea at that point, as I’m probably too old to learn it, don’t have the time outside of work, and the main issue, I will never be able to afford to get the qualifications required to earn money from it all anyway. The COVID situation has made me reevaluate a lot of things, and realistically I just am not going to have any opportunity to upskill in my future as there’s no funding. So it’s most likely not worth the stress of even thinking about it too much.
            Last edited by Protocol Penguin; 19-10-2020, 01:28.

Comment

Good idea.

It's not worth stressing over, really.

Comment

Aye, if you can't be arsed, don't bother

Comment

[MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION] I can be bothered, you unpleasantly hate-filled cretin. It’s lack of funding for retraining. I’d jump at doing a proper instructed course if given the chance. Doesn’t help that people who can already do programming for a living refuse to do anything constructive to actually help beginners other than howling with nerd laughter.

Comment

I come from an era when computing was self taught, you showed an interest, and learnt yourself.

Comment

[MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION] made that post using this:

That's [MENTION=7652]Hirst[/MENTION] at the back checking for typos.

Comment

Needs more spinning tapes

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                            [MENTION=5011]vanpeebles[/MENTION] I can be bothered, you unpleasantly hate-filled cretin. It’s lack of funding for retraining. I’d jump at doing a proper instructed course if given the chance. Doesn’t help that people who can already do programming for a living refuse to do anything constructive to actually help beginners other than howling with nerd laughter.
                            I know your frustrations, mate.

I don't know if you're like me, but I just can't self-study. I need a teacher in front of me. I'm paying through the nose for Japanese lessons for that same reason. I'd save tons of money if I could sit down with a book and learn Japanese myself. I could even do it for free. I have a Japanese wife, ffs! It's all there on a silver platter, if I could just sit still for five minutes

I always thought I couldn't study because I got easily distracted but I booked a week off work to do private Japanese lessons and the only stuff I learned was during the lessons themselves. I even had a few anxiety/panic attacks.

I stared at my first homework assignment for around twenty minutes. I just had to write five sentences and change the words. I spent nineteen minutes staring at the paper, then one minute writing two sentences. I wasn't even playing games or using internet. I felt like ****.

I could barely move my arms after the lesson and after a few bites of dinner, I just went straight to bed.

But did I give up?

Of course I did. The next morning I asked the teacher if we could study easier stuff. I still don't do any studying by myself and she's even stopped giving me homework. I'm trying not to think about the progress I could be making because it makes me feel worse.

Back to IT, my manager is asking me to look for courses to study a CCNA and some server admin stuff and I'm already scared that I won't absorb anything.

So yeah, don't worry if you're not taking to programming. It's not a sign that you can't do programming, it's just that you need to study it in a particular way.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpeebles View Post
                              I come from an era when computing was self taught, you showed an interest, and learnt yourself.
                              Yes, because that helps get the money to pay for the actual qualifications as required by even the most entry level jobs in the field. FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Protocol Penguin View Post
                                Yes, because that helps get the money to pay for the actual qualifications as required by even the most entry level jobs in the field. FFS.
                                There is no magical course like that which will set you up to walk straight into a job with zero experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X