No announcement yet.

Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah another good episode and there's plenty more of interest to come from Tyrion later on. He's one of the best character's I've come across in a long time. One of the reasons I like this story so much is that some of the key characters are so deep and human and not pure evil or good.

I'm wondering how Gregor Clegane will be portrayed. The only person I know of that matches his physical description is the Big Show.

The 1st 2 episodes can still be seen on sky player

Comment

Is anyone who hasn't read the book able to keep up with this? I imagine it must be pretty tough going coming into this fresh.

Comment

Just read an interview with the book's writer in SFX where he says that from the third book onwards they'll do a book over 2 seasons which means to do all the books it will have to run for at least 10 Seasons. To be honest the odds of it lasting that long are slim and I can't be bothered anymore with shows that don't reach their ending. If it gets close then I'll go back but I think they're being a little over ambitious.

Comment

I've not read the books but I'm doing ok (I think). I have to ask after that last episode though, does the series keep heaping all these horrible events and injustices on the Starks? I'm not sure I can cope. With them

ordering the wolf killed and having the butchers boy killed/maimed

I'm very eager to see the queen and prince both suffer some terrible fate.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
            Is anyone who hasn't read the book able to keep up with this? I imagine it must be pretty tough going coming into this fresh.
            I havent read the books and Im keeping up fine, why wouldnt I?

I dont know if they are missing things out or anything, but it doesnt seem like it, this TV version is a brilliantly told story as far as I can see.

You'd think a 12 episode season would be enough to tell a 800 page story really, even if they couldnt fit in every detail, they can certainly do alot more than a 3 hour film could.
            Last edited by rmoxon; 27-04-2011, 16:51.

Comment

There's a bit missed out, but it's mostly stuff that adds texture to the story rather than the drive behind the story itself.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                Just read an interview with the book's writer in SFX where he says that from the third book onwards they'll do a book over 2 seasons which means to do all the books it will have to run for at least 10 Seasons. To be honest the odds of it lasting that long are slim and I can't be bothered anymore with shows that don't reach their ending. If it gets close then I'll go back but I think they're being a little over ambitious.
                That maybe becuase the 3rd book is around 1200 pages and was later split into 2 separate books. Book 4 is of a similar length to the first two books.

Comment

Episode three was excellent, loads of great character building. Some of the lines have been delivered with less...drama than I was expecting (Littlefinger, the guy from The Wire, seems to deliver some of his lines with no interest what so ever). I felt the same about King Robert in the first episode actually, but Mark Addy had a great scene in this episode.

Peter Dinklage, The Imp, remains the star of the show in my eyes though

One thing I'm surprised at is the lack of a character showing up so far - a little spoiler but not really -

Jon Snow's Direwolf. It hasn't been shown since he first found it

Comment

just saw the second and really loving this, my biggest 'regret' is being into it early and not being able to devour boxsets of 2-3 seasons in a couple of weeks by coming to it late.

I'm so impatient I really enjoy coming to things a bit late now and also my goldfish memory finds it easier to keep up and remember names and plot details.

Comment

I just want to say that this show is really good. Highly recommended if you like fantasy stuff or just good TV in general. Also, it's nice knowing that it's story is already complete in well regarded books, so I won't have to worry about it caving in halfway through.

Comment

Yeah, Littlefinger was a big disappointment. He is a crucial character and the guy doing the acting does not make him stand out at all. I did wonder if that actor was the same guy who did the voice for the mage's apprentice in Demon's Souls...

Actually Cersei is not impressing me much with her acting either, but these are just niggles. On the whole the series is doing a fantastic job of delivering what I hoped for( so far).

It did come back to me that Viserys was not shown as being nasty enough in the opener - when he turned on Daenerys in ep 3 my fiancee asked "why did he become like that?". He was always like that, the show just wimped out of showing his true colours in the early stages.

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                        Also, it's nice knowing that it's story is already complete in well regarded books, so I won't have to worry about it caving in halfway through.
                        The books are not complete though, in fact it's just over halfway through according to his plan (and as the last book to be published was split into two, the chances are the remaining few books will also be split.

Comment

Well the 5th book (A Dance with Dragons) is out on 12th July and is apparently a similar length to the 3rd book A Storm of Swords. The final two books have been named already as The Winds of Winter & A Dream of Spring.

Comment

Been reading A Game of Thrones, already half way through it and i can't put the bugger down. Bloody enjoying it. Reading the book highlights just how much the show is leaving out tidbits of information that is necessary. I can see why people are getting confused by it. Jon Snow's direwolf Ghost is nowhere to be seen & characters are appearing in places with no reason.
                            Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 08-05-2011, 00:20.

Comment

Originally posted by number9dream View Post
                              Well the 5th book (A Dance with Dragons) is out on 12th July and is apparently a similar length to the 3rd book A Storm of Swords.
                              Yes, but the 5th book is actually only the second half of the 4th book, which was split due to length. He said in the closing words of the first half that it would be out one year later as it was already writen... 6 years later here we are. This is why I'm a little nervous about if he will ever be able to finish it.

Comment

Just watched the first episode. It does seem to follow the early plot of the book closely, but personally I'm not sure I'm happy with ANY of the main casting at the moment (maybe Ned, but I find it hard to like Sean Bean). The dialogue is too light, none of it so far has held any sense of gravity in comparison with the books. But I guess that's because you can't get into peoples heads in the same way that you can with a book. I don't feel the malice in Viserys or Cersei at all, and Robert and Ned in particular seem to old to me (saying nothing of the Stark kids, ageing them a little is probably the best course of action).

The moment at the end in particular, which was an incredibly tender moment in the book, wasn't handled well at all.

I would definitely say read the books first, but then I think I'd probably enjoy the TV series a lot more if I hadn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X