Game of Thrones / House of Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
    There’s no point in ruling over millions of corpses.

Comment

There’s no point in ruling over millions of corpses.

They filmed multiple endings for the show and based on the last episode's final form I think I know which one they're going to go with, I'll be very curious to see what peeps make of it

Comment

Much love to my expansive list of muted terms in TweetBot keeping me safe until last night when I could 'finally' (lol 4 days) watch episode 5.

Agree that Dany proving to be a tyrant isn't a surprise, but also agree that her turn has felt rushed. I kept expecting to see something more of her in the last half of the episode to give a bit more conviction to it, but instead we just get lots of CG of dragons destroying things.

Was sadder than I'd expected to see Varys go; particularly enjoyed his and Tyrion's goodbye.

Given how useless one-hand Jaime is meant to be, and how mean Yuron is meant to be, that whole fight felt incredibly weak.

Grey Worm was a bit of a disappointment. I'd hoped he might amount to something more other than just an angry soldier that wants revenge.

Arya's lasting through *everything* was pretty frustrating, too. The single white horse calmly stood there was even more frustrating. I assume there are fan theories that she's dead already and that was meant to be figurative?

Comment

Me popping in to this thread:

Comment

Well, I’ll hopefully be watching the final episode after work tomorrow. In some respects it’ll be a relief. It’s bound to get criticised fairly, which is reasonable. It was always going to divide opinion and upset with its choices, too, so there’ll be backlash.

But it’s also bound to get slagged off unfairly, which is tragically sad. You can almost hear the keyboard warriors attaching their pissbags in readiness, bumper packet of wotsits by the mouse, preparing to nitpick and whinge over every second. Some will probably have their criticisms pre-prepared, with just names to be filled into the blanks. Saddos. Hopefully the petition brigade will vanish within a week and direct their outrage at some new target.

Comment

Hopefully the petition brigade will vanish
              I haven't signed the petition, simply because I feel quite apathetic about the whole situation with season 8. I agree with most of the reasons why fans of the show are pissed off, but part of me just accepts the creators were focused on just wrapping things up, rather than treating it like a normal season where they could really focus on making sure the script/plot made total sense and felt clever.

It really does feel like the creators needed more episodes to make the plot flow better and maybe end up having more chance of satisfying the fans. My main feeling towards the final season is it feels rushed.

Maybe the petition will make some creators/producers of popular tv shows really think about how making the fans happy is important. You shouldn't just pander to fans though, but I think it's important to make things feel carefully thought out. There needs to be some respect for what the viewers expectations might be to some degree, and going totally against them is definitely a bad move. Especially if the deviation just feels weak and clumsy rather than clever.

GoT is now guilty of going completely against what the fans quite rightly expected after many years of building towards the final season.

Ultimately, all viewers/fans want is to feel that the producers respect the show and its fans enough to make sure everything feels right and truly satisfying. It's a shame that the decision was made to rush the final season, because it really has gone against the show and let down a huge amount of viewers. GoT's final season could have been so much better if a different approach had been taken. The person/people who made the decision to limit the amount of episodes for the final season and therefore make things difficult for the writers, are to blame for this mess.
              Last edited by Leon Retro; 19-05-2019, 20:49.

Comment

I do agree with you Leon. I wish they’d spent longer building things up. Not whole seasons, but another 7 or 8 episodes. I still think that it’s impossible to please fans at the end of a long running series. There’s always going to be arcs that aren’t satisfying to some. But a rush job doesn’t lend itself to pleasing the majority. I just find the petition thing childish and absurd. People have registered their discontent in reviews, forum posts, social media comments and other outlets. That should be enough to ensure that future writers and producers consider things more carefully.

Comment

Why is Jon not King, murderer or not, he is the rightful heir?

Comment

Pretty happy with the ending really. I get that most people probably won’t be but it’s an impossible task ending a show like that really.

Comment

I heard there were plastic water bottles in shot in places. This is all the spoiler I need.

Edit: also it’s hilarious that there is a dragon called Drogon. How you could keep a straight face whenever its name is mentioned is a mystery to me. I hope there was a human called Humon.
                      Last edited by Dogg Thang; 20-05-2019, 06:51.

Comment

Nice of Arya to get that horse to safety given it's the only reason she rode it out of King's Landing just to literally walk back in.

I'm broadly alright with that episode, it sucks majorly about Bran being King and it's a needlessly dick line he gives during Tyrion's trial that mildly suggests he knew this was coming all along which paints him poorly. Given the alternate scenes this is as good as it was ever going to be, just rushed execution spoiling it really overall.

Comment

That should be enough to ensure that future writers and producers consider things more carefully.
                          Yeah, you don't really need a petition, because everyone is 'social media aware' these days. I think there could be a more symbiotic relationship between creators and fans in the modern world.

I think a lot can be learned from how the producers of GoT have handled season 8. I think it's a huge shame that they decided to rush things, because a different(and maybe more satisfying) approach could have been taken if the writers had been given 10 episodes to conclude the story.

Comment

Hopefully it will motivate everyone complaining to try their hand at writing TV or film. Sure, most will crash and burn because they have absolutely no idea what it involves and their ideas are terrible but maybe some people somewhere, one in 500,000 or so, will use it as fuel to write something very cool like we've never seen before. It would be nice to think some people will do that rather than just moaning on social media.

Comment

So what did we learn.

Jon being Targaryen was a complete waste of time as it was superfluous to the story ultimately
                              Drogon has mummy issues
                              Sam invented democracy and was laughed at
                              Bronn has more interest in brothels than being on a council
                              Bran Stark was the ultimate villain - he knew what was going to happen and let hundreds of thousands of people die so he could be king anyway

Overall I've found that season 8 is to Game of Thrones as The Phantom Menace is to Star Wars.

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                              I think a lot can be learned from how the producers of GoT have handled season 8. I think it's a huge shame that they decided to rush things, because a different(and maybe more satisfying) approach could have been taken if the writers had been given 10 episodes to conclude the story.
                              They were - it wasn't HBO's decision to make the series shorter: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...was-a-mistake/
                              Last edited by MartyG; 20-05-2019, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                                . It would be nice to think some people will do that rather than just moaning on social media.
                                Funny things is -- lots of fans usually know more about a tv show than the producers. We shouldn't just assume that the writers were happy with the decisions made by the producers of Game of Thrones. A clear distinction has to be made between the writers and the business people in charge.

It's the same with companies like Nintendo. People moan about "Nintendo are evil" etc... like the people making the games have a say in the business side of things. I've always said that it's not a fair attitude to have. Creative people usually have business people controlling things.

I think all the people signing that petition would agree that season 8 feels rushed. I would guess that's down to the people in charge of the series, rather than the writers/creative minds wanting to just wrap things up quickly. I really think that affording the writers 10 episodes could have made the final season far more satisfying for everyone who appreciates how great previous seasons were. I can clearly see that limiting the amount of episodes led to a rushed approach that forced the writers to cut corners creatively.

Comment

Working...
                                X