Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server and Performance (now with NimbusHosting from post #129 onwards)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server died ealier. Apparantly it's only my VPS - the others on the server are ok.

Comment

Search still off?

Comment

Yes. sorry. I want to try a day or so with EVERYTHING off. No plugins. No search. No intensive options. The server should be easily able to handle it all and the database is not reporting any issues, so I'm hoping the changes I made overnight will resolve the server overload issues and then I can start turning things back on again after the weekend.

Comment

Without search the forum is useless. There are too many sub divisions to keep clicking through if I want a quick read during the day.

Sorry to say but if this keeps up we will end up losing members.

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. It does make it tricky to find a news post for a game when there's new news to add to it though, heh.

Comment

I meant to edit that, I use search primarily to hit 'New Posts' - that's how I read the forum. I can't be bothered trawling through each section just to see what is new, I want it on a plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
                Sorry to say but if this keeps up we will end up losing members.
                This is my fear too. We were losing members on the old server because of the lack of ability to update the forum (e.g. not browseable on a mobile). Now we might be losing members because of the new server instability. Out of the frying pan and into the fire...

I believe the instability may be caused by the upgrade to VB4 - it automatically changes the table type of some of the tables (from MyISAM to InnoDB) when moving from 3 to 4 if the server supports it, but "vbulletin support" suggest I change them back again!??! Why is that the default in the upgrade then? It doesn't ask if you want to - it just ploughs ahead.

I'm experimenting with some mysql tweaks specifically for InnoDB today so fingers crossed they help.
                So far today, load seems to be very favourable.
                Last edited by charlesr; 26-05-2011, 10:07.

Comment

It has been ok today so far, so I've turned search back on. Fingers and toes crossed.

Comment

Seems to be faster than before (search for new posts and opening threads is pretty much instant).

Good effort!

Comment

Thanks. Load has been around 0.2 all day which is ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        I believe the instability may be caused by the upgrade to VB4 - it automatically changes the table type of some of the tables (from MyISAM to InnoDB) when moving from 3 to 4 if the server supports it, but "vbulletin support" suggest I change them back again!??! Why is that the default in the upgrade then? It doesn't ask if you want to - it just ploughs ahead.
                        Actually, another forum I'm on that I believe recently upgraded to VB4 is suffering the same issues. I'll see what I can dredge from the private updates section there regarding what's being tried to remedy the situation, and see if any can be applied here...
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Thanks dude and if you want to let them know what appears to be working for me:
                          Close the forum
                          Run mysqlcheck to ensure no corruption
                          Clear the search index
                          Rebuild the search index
                          Ensure my.cnf has InnoDB tweaks
                          Restart mysql

Notes: we have ~1.5m posts. Data size is ~1.5GB. Index size is ~1.5GB

Would very much like to get an email or phone contact for their sysadmin too if poss to exchange ideas.

Comment

Site does seem a lot quicker at the moment

Comment

I made a change today. Looks like it might have been the wrong change - forum fell over just now. Sorry.

Comment

I got my names not down your not getting in message , well the forum was too busy message really.

Comment

Working...
                                X