HG101's Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures - 772 pages of adventure gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HG101's Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures - 772 pages of adventure gaming

Hmm, to post in headlines, general gaming or retro? Tough choice! I asked Charles and he said it was OK (thanks!).

Hardcore Gaming 101 has now published its first book, a comprehensive guide to classic graphic adventures.

Hardcoregaming101.net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures is an ode to one of the oldest genres in electronic gaming. It is 772 pages in length, covers over 300 games and includes a number of interviews with classic game developers. It is an expansive tome, jam packed to the brim with history, criticism, and trivia. If you've ever asked the question "If I like LucasArts and Sierra games, what other games should I play?", then this book should be your bible.
    I contributed to and sub-edited sections of it, and I can confirm there is a tremendous amount of content. A full explanation is here.

The kindle version is up! And it's only ?7!
    B/W on Kindle, but colour if your device can display colour!

You can look at a preview PDF here.

A word from the chief regarding different regions:
    It's also available at Amazon UK...sort of. You see, there are different royalty tiers with the publisher I'm using - unfortunately, the royalties only really apply if you buy it from Createspace or Amazon US, and the amount I get for copies sold through other outlets is a pittance (69 cents, to be precise...which for a $27 book is kind of absurd). So what I'm basically saying is, if it's not terribly inconvenient and you'd like to be awesome and support the site, please order from Createspace or Amazon US, if you can. It would be much appreciated. (The Kindle versions are unaffected by this, so buy from whichever region it allows you to.)

If that's unfeasiable...well, even though there's a listing on Amazon UK, it doesn't seem like they've stocked it (yet). So, in order to fix this, I've set myself up as a third party seller and shipping books directly from the printer. I've tried to keep it as close to retail price as possible, since it doesn't let me adjust shipping charges (trust me, it costs way more than three pounds to ship), taking into account the exchange rate and all.

Where to Order

Physical Copy - $27.00 US:
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK
    Createspace Use Coupon Code DN84NDUU for shipping discount

Kindle Edition - $9.99 US, converted automatically to local currency including VAT:
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK
    Amazon DE

Other ePub Formats
    Coming soon

You can also order it from your local bookstore, if you'd like - the ISBN-10 is 146095579X and the ISBN-13: 978-1460955796. However, if you are outside of the USA, please consider ordering from the Createspace store or Amazon US, because the royalty I get from other places is a pittance...literally less than 75 cents per copy. I've set up a third party store on Amazon UK, however, if that's more convenient.

Shipping to Europe is about $7 (about ?4.30) on Createspace, which I think is surprisingly good for something akin to a phone book (at least I think it is, my copy is in the post).

Here's a list of games:
    All About Sierra
    King's Quest
    Space Quest
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Police Quest
    Quest for Glory
    Gabriel Knight
    Laura Bow
    Phantasmagoria
    Freddy Pharkas
    EcoQuest
    Pepper's Adventures in Time
    Torin's Passage
    Codename: Iceman
    The Black Cauldron
    Gold Rush!
    Shivers
    Lighthouse
    Heart of China
    Rise of the Dragon
    The Adventures of Willy Beamish
    Rama
    Fascination
    Bargon Attack
    Lost in Time
    Ween: The Prophecy
    Gobliiins
    The Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble

All About LucasArts
    Labyrinth
    Maniac Mansion
    Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
    Indiana Jones - Last Crusade / Fate of Atlantis
    Loom
    Monkey Island
    Sam & Max
    The Dig
    Full Throttle
    Grim Fandango

All About Legend
    Spellcasting
    TimeQuest
    Gateway
    Eric the Unready
    Companions of Xanth
    Superhero League of Hoboken
    Death Gate
    Mission Critical
    Shannara
    Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
    John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles

Myst
    The 7th Guest

ICOM MacVentures:
    Shadowgate
    Deja Vu
    Uninvited

Lure of the Temptress
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Broken Sword
    Dark Seed
    I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    Harvester
    Sanitarium
    Bad Mojo
    Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet/Prisoners of Ice
    Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
    Dreamweb
    Noctropolis
    Blade Runner
    Star Trek (Judgment Rites, 25th Anniversary, Final Unity)
    Future Wars
    Operation Stealth
    Cruise for a Corpse
    Legend of Kyrandia
    Neverhood
    The Last Express
    The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes
    The Journeyman Project
    Hugo
    Tex Murphy
    Discworld
    Simon the Sorceror
    The Feeble Files
    Leather Goddesses of Phobos
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Zork
    Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender
    Dragonsphere
    Return of the Phantom
    Touche
    Les Manley
    Altered Destiny
    Inherit the Earth
    Toonstruck
    Starship Titanic
    Flight of the Amazon Queen
    Scooby Doo Mystery (Genesis/Gameboy)
    Blazing Dragons
    Blade Runner
    Kingdom O' Magic
    KGB / Conspiracy
    Innocent Until Caught
    The Orion Conspiracy
    The Gene Machine
    Ripper
    Neuromancer
    Beavis & Butthead in: Virtual Stupidity / Do U / Daria's Inferno
    Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
    Dune
    Duckman: The Graphic Adventures of a Private Dick
    Amazon: Guardians of Eden
    Dragon Lore
    Nippon Safes, Inc / Big Red Adventure
    Fable (1996)
    Personal Nightmare
    Alien Incident
    Ringworld / Return to Ringworld
    Universe
    Curse of Enchantia
    Murder on the Mississippi
    Enchanted Scepters
    The Fish Files
    Snow Job
    Circuit's Edge
    Chewy: ESC from F5
    Lost Eden
    Tass Times in Tonetown
    The Dark Half
    Teenagent
    Orion Burger
    The Space Bar
    Cosmology of Kyoyo
    Obsidian
    Gadget: Past as Future
    Bad Day on the Midway
    Tequila & Boom Boom
    Bureau 13
    Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
    Jack Orlando
    Hopkins FBI
    Wayne's World
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Snoopy: The Cool Computer Game
    Hook
    Earthrise
    Jerome Lange Mysteries (Mortville Manor / Maupiti Island)
    Gold & Glory: The Road to El Dorado
    The Dark Eye
    Ripley's Believe It or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu
    Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy
    The Longest Journey / Dreamfall
    Amerzone
    AMBER: Journeys Beyond
    Morpheus
    9: The Last Resort
    Syberia
    Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken
    Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
    Snatcher
    Policenauts
    Shadow of Destiny
    Runaway
    Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People
    Limbo of the Lost
    Secret Files
    A Vampyre Story
    Gray Matter

Indie:

Ben There, Dan That!/Time Gentlemen, Please!
    The Chzo Mythos
    Machinarium
    The Shivah
    Emerald City Confidential
    Gemini Rue

Interviews:

Al Lowe (Designer of Leisure Suit Larry)
    Corey Cole (Designer of Quest for Glory)
    Bob Bates (Founder of Legend Entertainment)
    Josh Mandel (Writer/Designer/Voice Actor for Sierra)

$27 is an awful lot of money to spend on a book.

Yes, it's not exactly cheap, but I'm confident that it's entirely worth it. It's an absolutely gigantic book, weighing over three pounds, and there's a ridiculous amount of material that will keep any fan reading for hours on end. It will also graciously help support the site, and go towards the publication of future books. The Kindle version is cheaper, since it obviously doesn't need to be printed.

What's the difference between the articles in the book and what's already on the site?

If you've read the reviews on the site, they are pretty much the same as the book, and follow a similar style and format. All of them have been copy edited to fix typos and improve readability, and a few have been cut down to fit, although they're still largely the same as the version on the web site. (Not all of the revisions have currently been incorporated into the site.) There are also numerous titles that are currently only covered in the book. All games covered have a box shot and at least one screenshot, although note that the book is in black and white. Many reviews are extensive, however, there are also numerous shorter, single page reviews.

Will any of the articles currently exclusive to the book ever be posted on the site?

Some of them will be. The longer articles - King's Quest, The Journeyman Project, The Chzo Mythos, Zork, etc. - definitely will show up in the coming months. But there are a lot of single and double page articles that I'm not entirely sure I can find a spot on the site without placing it together with larger articles. Like, maybe one day you might see the Bill & Ted article here if we do a big blowout on Bill & Ted games (there are more than you'd expect!), and there are a lot of really unique or overlooked games that will probably be posted as well, but otherwise a majority of those will probably stay exclusive to the book.

Why isn't this book in color? I would totally buy it if it was in color.

Price. The retail cost is $27 for a 772 page black and white book. Through the same publisher, a color printing would have to be split in two books costing over $60 each, which is completely unfeasible. However, the Kindle version (and any future epub files) is in color, as long as your device can support it (the PC Kindle Reader, iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, etc.) A color PDF will be released for sale shortly as well.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 08-06-2011, 08:29.

Get this on the Kindle UK store... So much cool stuff only makes it to the US one and you can't use that with a UK Kindle anymore.

Comment

Needs to be on Kindle ASAP.

Is it written in encyclopedia style or like a regular book?

Comment

It's pricey but looks excellent. I may have to take a punt on it because I'd love to read about those games - loads of faves there and a whole load I don't know too.

Comment

A Kindle version is being worked on, but there are delays due to formatting differences. It'll be priced accordingly though. Not sure about differences between US and UK, but I'll pass on any queries.

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
          Is it written in encyclopedia style or like a regular book?
          It's written in the site style, and some articles are online if you check this page. The articles without links were written specifically for the book and aren't available online. Everything that's on the site was sub-edited though, for space, grammar and flow, so should read a little more polished in print.

Comment

no overly familiar with the Kindle's, do they handle pictures? are there any pictures in the book?

Comment

Yes, there's a picture of every game's cover, and at least one picture for each game covered. There should be a preview PDF in the link above.

Comment

How does this 'createspace' witchcraft work? It'd better not be paypal!

Comment

Must admit as soon as this Kindles, I will be ALL over it.
                  Superb stuff.

Comment

In truth I'm not sure how Createspace works, since I've never ordered from them before, Prinny.

Glad everyone likes the look of it, about half a dozen of us put a tremendous amount of time and work in it.

Comment

The overlord at HG101 speaks:
                      Hardcoregaming101.net Presents: The Guide to Classic Graphic Adventures is now available at Amazon. For right now it's only on the US store, although I'm told it'll feed over to the UK one "eventually". This happened much quicker than I expected, so hooray! The Kindle version, I'm still working on - it requires a bit more reformatting to look right, plus it needs lots of linking for the table of contents to show up. And since there are easily over 350 different things to link...
                      So the Kindle version is on its way.

Even more exciting than this is I now have my own entry on Amazon. I'm like a bona fide writer, or some shiznit.

I'll update again when the Kindle version is ready - it appears to be what everyone is most looking forward to.

Comment

Want!

John, could you please let me know a couple of things once your copy arrives? First, how long did it take to arrive (Amazon's shipping to Europe is either slow or expensive so I'm wondering if CreateSpace's is any faster) and second, is it entirely in black and white or are the pictures in colour (CreateSpace's description states "Color: Black and White")?

Thanks in advance and congratulations for achieving 'bona fide writer' status!

Comment

Will let you know regarding its arrival - my address is something of a guinea pig address among the contributors.

Colouring is entirely black-and-white, apart from the book's front and back cover. It's purely to keep prices down, especially a book that size. I'm told though that the Kindle version will/might/should be in colour, for those that can display it? Still a furious WIP at the moment so details as they break.

Comment

Shame that it's black & white, would have been lovely to have it in colour. Think i'll pass then.

Comment

The kindle version is apparently up!

And it's only ?7!

I was told it's in colour, but it doesn't seem to say on the site. I'll double check and post back here. But still, only ?7!

LINKS:
                              Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...SIN=B005231248

Amazon US - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005231248

Amazon DE - http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B005...SIN=B005231248

BTW, use the following link for the actual book on the US site:

Last edited by Sketcz; 23-05-2011, 08:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X