Playstation 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playstation 4

Given E3 will swell gossip and murmurings and Sony seems to be now loosely discussing the matter I figured we might as well add this to the discussion pile along with the Xbox 3 and Wii 2 threads. From earlier in the week we already know that Sony is now spending money on R&D on the systems development which means it's likely only a year or two away from mass production. Broadly this ties in with the often mentioned next-gen timeframe for arrival of the next Big 3 across 2012-2014.

Today Sony has stated that the recent increase in revenue for the gaming division is due to significant cost reductions in the production of the PS3 and that after the expensive avenue they chose for the system and long wait for profitability they will be choosing a cheaper option for the PS4 to produce a more cost effective system. They also stated previously that they'll likely be the last to enter the next race.

On the down side it means they will be last out with a system that might lack the advantages of more power and features than its rivals. On the plus side it means they might be able to launch at a more reasonable price point than PS3 did and avoid the struggled start that they suffered this generation.
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 23-06-2013, 22:32.

They have a lot of catching up to do on the online side. I'm not sure they will ever recover so new hardware is academic.

Comment

Can't see the PS4 getting unveiled this year.

However a year on the Cafe can mean a lot in terms of bang:buck.

If the cafe gets a 6770 as the current rumours suggests, they could probably get a 58xx or even a 59xx at the same price next year taking into account die shrinks.

Comment

With the Playstation 3 finally seemingly on a sprint right now (in spite of the hacking fiasco etc.), they would be mad to damage this by revealing this anytime soon.

Comment

I wonder how strong the playstation brand is compared to previous versions. I mean I always felt joe public was prepared to wait for Sony to launch their machine rather than buy, say the dreamcast or Xbox for example. Now I dont think thats the case, for starters their online rep is in tatters at the moment but more importantly I think people felt that after a certain time, there would be games coming out for the PS3 which the 360 wouldnt be able to handle. I think theres only been a few exceptions but for the larger AAA titles you could say that hasnt been proven to be the case. I remember M$ fanboys laughing at the Ridge racer comparisons but apart from exclusive titles most of the GTA, PES and COD games have been fine on either machine. Yes, Sony has God of War, MGS4 and Gran Turismo but the 360 has had a few Halo games, GOW as well.

What Im basically asking is, what is going to be the repercussions if Sony are going to be last out of the blocks again?

Comment

It sounds like this new approach is a step on the right track. Though the PS3 exclusives tend to push the visual bar more than the 360 exclusives do (especially regarding the archaic Halo's) the thing that's worked well for Sony this generation is the consistancy of their schedules which hopefully is something that they carry over to the PS4. Had Microsoft managed to secure exclusives of worth over the last 12 months or in the future then the PS3 would have struggled more than it is. Like they say, content is king and currently Sony leads in this area. If they were smart enough to launch with this approach they'd do well... though we all know how Sony and launch years are, lol

Comment

Blimey it's a bit soon for them to be putting stuff out about the next playstation console.
              I guess the fact that the PS3 is an open box now and will start to suffer in the same way that the psp did.
              I just hope development studios don't hold back any games in development, as we still havent seen the best the console can produce.

Comment

Beginning development on a PS4 doesn't mean it's coming any time soon, does it? How long does a console take to develop? If, as the article suggests, the reduced costs of the PS3 have finally resulted in a profit, I would have thought they'd ride that wave for a while rather than abandoning it.

Comment

Well the word is out, so Joe public thinks it's on it's way within the year.
                  Even had a couple of people asking for prices.

Comment

i doubt the technical bar can be pushed much further with PS3 games - which games did this anyway? i had hoped so 2 years ago but with state of the art-multiplatform-engines already out (Crysis 2) and the 3rd generation of exclusive software arriving soon (Uncharted 3) it's more than evident that significant leaps are not be expected. in this regard the arrival of a PS4 or a PS3.x would make sense sooner than later. but it's not very likely we will have this new Sony hardware under the shelve until maybe 2015.

Comment

Going off the direction things are going in with the rumours and info mentioned on the Wii 2 and Xbox 3 I wouldn't be surprised to see:

Wii 2 in late 2012
                      Xbox 3 in late 2013
                      PS4 in early 2014

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        Can't see the PS4 getting unveiled this year.

However a year on the Cafe can mean a lot in terms of bang:buck.

If the cafe gets a 6770 as the current rumours suggests, they could probably get a 58xx or even a 59xx at the same price next year taking into account die shrinks.
                        Bloody hell Smurf, i have no idea what you just said here... cafe? XX?

Can I buy a vowel? Sounds technical... but im embarrassed to ask

Comment

If MS do bring out a new console in 2013 do we think they'll instakill the 360 like they did last time? That was my biggest issue I had with them last gen.

Comment

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure they will take a leaf from Sony's book and let it carry on in the background. I suppose it's down to developers and publishers if they want to support it or not, but I imagine you'll just get dual platform releases to start with. Especially if the Cafe is similar in spec to the 360/Ps3

Comment

Originally posted by 112 View Post
                              Bloody hell Smurf, i have no idea what you just said here... cafe? XX?

Can I buy a vowel? Sounds technical... but im embarrassed to ask

Caf? is the codename for Ninty's next home console

Comment

Working...
                              X