No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Avatar" Sequel Needs To Make $2 Billion? - Dark Horizons
    James Cameron has claimed that the film needs to be the third or fourth highest grossing ever to make a profit. This would mean it would need $2bn at the box office.

I'm not convinced the bar is that high. There have been reports before that the budget is $250m and its costs are incredibly intertwined with those of the third film and to some extent the fourth so it seems likely that while it needs to make a lot, that target is hyperbolic.

Side note - Tickets are available now, I'm booked in for release date. Irritatingly there's very, very few non-3D showings - really begrudge paying for 3D glasses, still done it now. Unless it's not being specified there were no HFR showings near me though that's likely for the best based on Hobbit.

Comment

Should be a real treat. I'm avoiding previews.
      Might go on my own to avoid everyone moaning about 3D.

Comment

"Avatar" Sequel Needs To Make $2 Billion? - Dark Horizons
        James Cameron has claimed that the film needs to be the third or fourth highest grossing ever to make a profit. This would mean it would need $2bn at the box office.
        Its depressing but i bet it will get their and this is whats wrong with the planet. I've stated my dislike of the first film many times and i still don't understand how a Palette swap of dances with wolves featuring horse ****ing space smurfs is so popular. its not as if James Cameron is that likeable either he always comes across as the worlds biggest arsehole.

Comment

When asked how much it cost he just said something like 'A lot'. Which for Jim Cameron must be $300m+

Comment

"Avatar" Sequel Scores Rare Chinese Release - Dark Horizons
            The film has secured a Chinese release, the first in three years to do so

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Ignition View Post
              "Avatar" Sequel Scores Rare Chinese Release - Dark Horizons
              The film has secured a Chinese release, the first in three years to do so
              James must be good at blowing
              Either that or the main character is from a lost alien race that's been connected to China since ancient times and there for is the ultimate Avatar.

In all seriousness though, I thought the first film was pants. Blue humans with baboon noses and pointy witch ears. Not exactly inspiring designs for a race. That's what put me off the most. Well that and I didn't think the generic story was worth waiting through.
              Last edited by Yakumo; 25-11-2022, 09:45.

Comment

Cameron Open To "Avatar" 6 & 7 Possibility - Dark Horizons
                Cameron says he may not be up to making them himself but he does have story ideas ready now for Avatar 6 and Avatar 7

Comment

Cameron Wrote An "Avatar 1.5" Script - Dark Horizons
                  Apparently just to give the actors some backstory as to what happened between the first and the second films

Comment

"Puss" Sequel, First "Avatar" To Hit China - Dark Horizons
                    The first Avatar film will be getting yet another rerelease in China

"Avatar 5" Will Be Heading To Earth - Dark Horizons
                    And a chunk of Avatar 5 will be set on Earth

Comment

"Creed III" Gets An "Avatar" IMAX Sneak Peek - Dark Horizons
                      IMAX viewers of Avatar 2 will get their adverts, trailers, an extended scene from Oppenheimer, a BTS video on Mission Impossible 7 and now also a small preview of Creed III. Set aside all drinks and a good 4 hours for this one

Comment

"Avatar" Sequel Scores $17M In Previews - Dark Horizons
                        Avatar: The Way of Water is pacing in the US alongside Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2. That film went on to earn $863m worldwide. The article states that the aim with Avatar 2 is a long term high earning rate though personally I don't think applying what happened with Avatar 1 in 2009 applies here. Avatar 2 has a solid six week run unchallenged and then is out thanks to a very crammed 2023 line up that contains a lot of Disney's own releases, the market is very different too and the franchise positioning is also different this time out as well being a known quantity. Myself, I'd be amazed if the film isn't front loaded with the following weeks run being as good a situation as it could hope for in the modern era of cinema. I don't think Maverick's multi-month clear run should at all be considered a repeatable trick as it wasn't Maverick's doing. It'll clearly make bank, I don't see highest grossing ever scenario's happening however.

I'm booked in to see it in a couple of hours. It's genuinely off putting that it needs a solid four hour window set aside for it. Not interested in taking the tact of the more positive reviews which essentially give the film a free pass by being graphics whores. It's not a PS5 game, it needs to be a fleshed out film to be good so all I'm going to ask of it is that it be better than the first film which is very reasonable for a bar when Cameron expects to bankroll at least three more films off this one.
                        Last edited by Neon Ignition; 16-12-2022, 07:38.

Comment

Turns out there's a simple way to make a sequel to Avatar 13 years later... Just remake it with kids and water

Comment

The Kermode review had me in stitches.

Comment

So, best way to word it.

It was incredibly busy so that put aside any thoughts popularity had taken a hit. The first thing that hits is the 3D image, at this point it's been a long time since I've seen a 3D film at the cinema and whilst I don't miss it I have to say the effect was spot on and didn't falter all the way to the end of the 3hr 15m runtime which is impressive as I usually stop noticing after 20 minutes.

The visuals, which the film should not be judged by, are both astounding and naff at the same time. Many shots are impressively detailed and cleanly shot but scenes with live action actors still often aren't lit correctly or sometimes don't mesh well. Not that that matters much either, live action elements are incredibly thin on the ground in this one which is almost a CG movie end to end. The biggest visual concern is HFR which is used at random intervals and is immediately noticeable whenever the transition takes place. The film instantly looks significantly worse when it kicks in as well, this really is a filming option that needs to go away and die.

So, the film is very dismissive to the events of the first film, largely u-turning things quickly before shifting the action so the film can retread the same story beats as its predecessor for most of the films runtime. All the significant plot points of Avatar are dismissed or retconned in quick order except, by repeating the same plot as the original it not only steps things back but it actually tells the same arc worse. Avatar is better written than its sequel which after 13 years and the low bar is just... wow.

It's been described by Cameron as having two aims. First, it sets up the several oncoming sequels. It doesn't. Well, not really outside of a couple of retcons that cheapen the emotional stakes at play. The second is making a more emotional experience. Again, it doesn't.

Cameron basically looked at the character list and went:

"You're the main characters! You get a kid!"

"You're new characters! You get a kid!"

"You're not really in the film anymore! You get a kid!"

"You're dead! You get a kid!"

Basically, you're expected to care more simply because kids are involved.

You don't. I still can't tell you even the character names out of three who were in the first film. I don't even think the kids thing makes sense, I guess it's supposed to be intriguing for the next film but I both know there are no intriguing options and that I don't care about that either.

I'd say I enjoyed it for the first hour for the novelty that it is. The next 90 minutes really is bloat, there's so much editing that could be done as the film loses focus hard. Then the end is lively but forgettable, something that exists just to set up conflict for the third film but really just leaves you feeling the characters have really undermined themselves just to end up where they began in the intro anyway.

We're a long, long way from peak Cameron here. This is deep indulgent older years Cameron. He's made more Avatar, not improved anything with it. The first films box office was clearly all he needed to know to justify sticking with what already was in place making the 13 year wait all the more puzzling in how we ended up with a sequel so bland and derivative of the already derivative original. Basically the initial digs of it being a water edition were spot on, it's more of the same so you'll already have an accurate idea of where your thoughts lie with it. Just like the original, I can't see myself rewatching it any time soon. Won't need to I guess, two years time we'll be hopefully getting a true sequel.

Comment

The first film was total garbage. Why did anyone even want to see this?! Sorry you were disappointed Neon but surely you must've seen this coming lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X