No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
    Like I said I think I've succumbed to the "it's so hyped it must be terrible" school of thought & I had heard about the weird extended sex scene's which kind of made me wonder why.

I'm not a huge Cameron fan TBH I enjoy some of his stuff (Vampires for example) but other things just don't do it for me.

I will take your advice though & grab a cheap 2nd hand copy to give it the benefit of the doubt & I will have zero problems in admitting my pre-conceived opinion may be wrong.

Will let you know when I do

Neil
    James Cameron didn't make vampires, that was John Carpenter.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
      James Cameron didn't make vampires, that was John Carpenter.
      I'm off to hit myself with something VERY VERY heavy!!!
      Can't believe I got that wrong, I should have realised that...sorry

In that case aside from Aliens, T1 & T2 there isn't anything I really like that Cameron has done.

Neil

Comment

True Lies?

To be honest he only makes one film about every 10 years. You probably just named half his filmography.

Comment

True Lies?
          Meh it's ok but I won't re-watch it like I do the Terminator or Aliens movies...same with First Blood Part 2

Neil

Comment

Lol True lies is a brilliant film with a fantastic script, it's also well made. I wouldn't compare it to First Blood Part 2 which is technically just a montage of Stallone snarling and lobbing grenades at people.

Comment

Lol True lies is a brilliant film with a fantastic script, it's also well made. I wouldn't compare it to First Blood Part 2 which is technically just a montage of Stallone snarling and lobbing grenades at people.
              Lol it is ok I'm not doubting that but compared to the Terminators & Aliens it just doesn't make me want to watch it again & again.

Everything with Stallone in is like that (well except maybe Stop or my Mom will shoot lol)
              I was just saying that's another of his films that doesn't get repeat viewings

Neil

Comment

Stallone wasn't in True lies though!

Comment

Stallone wasn't in True lies though!
                  Lol I know that was Ahrnald

Neil

Comment

I loved Avatar but i think his best film was Titanic.

Comment

i think his best film was aliens

Comment

I think most films he has been made have been pretty special experiences. Titanic may be an eye rolling romance for the first 90 minutes but there's no denying that there are few other films like it, as it successfully merged a romantic period drama with a monumental disaster picture. Few directors have the ambition or the talent to pull off the films he makes. The quality of film making within his films is unrivalled in terms of scope. Cameron will always be one of the best directors Hollywood has ever seen.

His films are an event like no other, which is why I believe that even when disregarding the fact that I feel it is a great film, Avatar is a must see for anyone who enjoys cinema, as it's a brilliant cinematic achievement, just like each one of his films has been since he made the Terminator almost 30 years ago.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 21-08-2012, 23:34.

Comment

I think that'll be Neil's hurdle when watching Avatar. Whilst not it's biggest fan, I'd say it's not a bad film... more a very overrated and disappointing one by Cameron's standards. It rode the the 3D hype and it rode it hard, I'd be amazed if the sequel does anything close to as well. I'd agree it deserves a watching but ideally at the cinema so it'll be interesting to see how Neil finds it as he'll be watching it at home where Avatars scale is condensed into looking more like a CG cartoon.

Comment

I find it just as enjoyable to watch at home as it was at the cinema, it's an incredible looking film in HD. Even in 2d its a magnificent film as its not just about the visuals, it's a well told story and the action scenes are brilliant.
                            Last edited by rmoxon; 22-08-2012, 11:03.

Comment

Is the 3D really that essential to the film? I've only seen Avatar in 2D.

Comment

I don't think it's essential, but it does add to the experience. It makes it feel like you're actually looking through a window into an alien planet rather than simply watching a film.

Comment

Working...
                                X