Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    I have the comic and it's very good.
    Nice to see "The World's Greatest Detective" actually doing some Detective work!
    Originally posted by wakka View Post
    I’m not much of a comics person but I read The Long Halloween and absolutely loved it. Such a good story.
    Thanks guys
    Will look to grab the Graphic Novel soon

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Riki-oh
    This seems good, with a decent chunk of extras, but £25 for a film I've never seen and could be rubbish is a bit steep, so I looked on eBay and got the HKL DVD for £3.20
    All over this like a strong moss
    Love Riki-oh it's frankly ludicrous & OTT but one of my favourites that I discovered during the HKL dvd days
    Think I found it after seeing Ichi the Killer & getting into the OTT Splatter stuff

Well worth getting the DVD for at the very least

Neil

Comment

Tokyo Drifter I picked up from clearance for 5 euros, I have not seen it yet but seems intresting.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was something I have wanted to see for a while, got the DVD box for 7 euros (included shipping) brand new, so I got it. I already binged it and it was intresting, not sure if I'll continue watching more, it was entertaining but maybe not for me.

Love Hina Ultimate Collection was really cheap, got it for 10 euros. The downside of it is that it does not have english subtitles, and the finnish subtitles are really bad on some of the discs, they had different translators on the first 4 or 5 dvd's and they all translate names differently, for example on one DVD Keitaro is Keitaru. The timing of the subtitles is off on sometimes too, with the subtitle starting a good 2-3 seconds before anyone speaks. But other than that, it has not aged too poorly, and it was fun to watch again after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Travesty View Post

Tokyo Drifter I picked up from clearance for 5 euros, I have not seen it yet but seems intresting.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure was something I have wanted to see for a while, got the DVD box for 7 euros (included shipping) brand new, so I got it. I already binged it and it was intresting, not sure if I'll continue watching more, it was entertaining but maybe not for me.

Love Hina Ultimate Collection was really cheap, got it for 10 euros. The downside of it is that it does not have english subtitles, and the finnish subtitles are really bad on some of the discs, they had different translators on the first 4 or 5 dvd's and they all translate names differently, for example on one DVD Keitaro is Keitaru. The timing of the subtitles is off on sometimes too, with the subtitle starting a good 2-3 seconds before anyone speaks. But other than that, it has not aged too poorly, and it was fun to watch again after all these years.
        I used to read the Love Hina manga back in the early 2000s. It was okay for that type of manga.

Comment

Another nice Cine Edition from HMV

Comment

Nice. I believe from what I've read that's the only version of the UHD which includes the theatrical cut on a UHD disc - I think the non-Cine edition just gives you the Bootleg/Director's Cut on UHD, and the theatrical on ordinary Blu...?

Comment

Not sure about the std edition but this is 4 discs: 2 x UHD (one for the bootleg cut, 1 for theatrical) and 2 x blu-ray for the same. It must have been fairly popular as its only been out since Monday and it's already discontinued and gone from HMV's website (not to say it won't reappear at some point though).

Comment

Wow, that's quick. Think the standard only has a UHD disc for the Bootleg. Good work on grabbing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  I used to read the Love Hina manga back in the early 2000s. It was okay for that type of manga.
                  Yeah I read that as it got released years ago, sold it after many attempts years later. Was put off by the anime for years after watching some episodes dubbed, I just could not stand the character Kitsune's voice. I read the manga at uni and the bloke watched the anime before/ around the time we met so it was interesting to compare the differences. Managed to pick up a few of the movie DVD's for pennies from CEX recently, not watched them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                    Yeah I read that as it got released years ago, sold it after many attempts years later. Was put off by the anime for years after watching some episodes dubbed, I just could not stand the character Kitsune's voice. I read the manga at uni and the bloke watched the anime before/ around the time we met so it was interesting to compare the differences. Managed to pick up a few of the movie DVD's for pennies from CEX recently, not watched them yet.
                    I try to avoid watching dubbed anime back in the 90s. Man, I'm from Liverpool (Although I don't sound too much like it) but I absolutely hated one anime I watched which had the main character dubbed with a scouse accent. Put me right off the anime. I couldn't even watch it. I thought the anime was Nuku Nuku Cat Girl but after checking YouTube, that's a yanky dub so I really can't remember what it was. All I can say that it was released in the UK around 1998 on VHS.

Comment

[MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] KO Century Beast Warriors was dubbed in the UK. Maybe that?

Comment

I rarely watch dubs, in the early/ mid 2000's I got hold of 2x 10 anime sample dvd box sets which were basically the first dvds of many series plus a few movies. Many of these only had dubs or subs.

The only dubs I happily watched and still do were some Ghibli (not all), Ghost in the shell stand alone complex, cowboy bebop, Haibane Renmei (one of those staring dvds got me into it, I love that anime) excel saga and azumanga daioh. Stuck to subs since then really as back then I watched what I could get!!

We picked up Samuai Deeper kyo complete series on dvd at CEX today for £5, saw a few episodes back in the day but wasn't a fan but willing to give it a chance that cheap.

Curious about the Scouse dub! I've heard some bad ones in my time
                        Last edited by Blobcat; 17-07-2021, 20:42.

Comment

Excel saga would be intense to try and read through!
                          Did you know the first voice actress for excel broke her voice after a couple of episodes and they had to replace her.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                            [MENTION=1524]Yakumo[/MENTION] KO Century Beast Warriors was dubbed in the UK. Maybe that?
                            Just checked that on YouTube. Nope, wasn't that one. Never seen that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Blobcat View Post
                              Curious about the Scouse dub! I've heard some bad ones in my time
                              I shouldn't be hard to find. At that time in the UK there was East 2 West, Manga, Animeigo and Western Connections releasing anime on VHS. There was one other shortlived company too from what I remember. Maybe that's who released the anime I can't remember.

Comment

A Powerhouse, a Masters of Cinema and a trusty Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X