Show us your latest Blu Ray/DVD purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Deep Red. Excellent pickup.

I should really watch The Guest as I’ve never seen that. Nor The Howling.

You must have a serious UHD collection going now Atticus.

It’s hardly new so I won’t be posting a picture, but I only recently got through a replacement disc for my defective Donnie Dario UHD. Which I received as a birthday present back in May!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
      I love Deep Red. Excellent pickup.
      I knew nothing about Argento back when I was 19 or 20 and a mate’s VHS completely blew my mind. That was my gateway … and what an introduction! I’ve been listening to the soundtrack in anticipation of watching the new UHD.

I should really watch The Guest as I’ve never seen that. Nor The Howling.
      The Guest is brilliant. Of all those Carpenter style films that came along this is my fave. It’s great fun. I’ve never seen The Howling either but I thought I’d take a chance on it.

You must have a serious UHD collection going now Atticus.
      I do, but I purged a few recently. Only the titles I can’t see me watching again for a long time.

I only recently got through a replacement disc for my defective Donnie Dario UHD.
      How was it? I haven’t watched mine yet

Comment

I haven't watched mine either!

Comment

Another one I had to have. Love this film. Shame I watched it on telly recently, wish I’d waited

Comment

Nice, not seen that for ages. Might have to get a copy.

Out of pure nosy interest [MENTION=4034]Atticus[/MENTION], what's your TV and speaker setup for when you watch your UHDs?

Comment

Out of pure nosy interest @Atticus, what's your TV and speaker setup for when you watch your UHDs?
              Nowt overly flash old chum

Sony Bravia 49XF9005 tv + Sony SA-XF9000 Dolby Atmos soundbar and subwoofer

As for a player, since the dawn of UHD I just use console, Series X or PS5. I know a dedicated player would yield better results and deliver Dolby Vision but it's good enough to not warrant both the outlay and space needed for yet another box under the tv.

How about you?

Comment

Ah, interesting. Quite strong on the nits, that TV - must pop on discs with really punchy HDR.

I splurged on some new gear over the last couple of years - as of last summer I have a Panasonic GZ950, my first UHD TV, and not long prior to that I got a Marantz NR1508 amp and 5 Dali Zensor Pico speakers (which I run without a subwoofer as their bass is fairly decent and I live in a flat/don't want to make my neighbours vibrate!).

Unfortunately I'm currently running just 3 speakers as my puppy chewed through the wires running to the rears and I haven't got round to replacing them yet.

I got a standalone UHD player when I bought my TV - the Panasonic UB820. I hadn't owned a standalone spinner since the Pioneer DVD player I had back in the 2000s, and it''s really nice actually. Sort of old school. And it has a nifty HDR optimiser feature which helps to stop highlights getting blown out. Especially useful on an OLED where the light output is obviously lower than high end LCD.

I can't actually speak to how much better or worse the PQ is than a console as I literally got the disc player the same day as my TV, so I've never used anything else for UHDs.

If the spirit ever moves you to get a standalone though, it's the one I'd def recommend.

Comment

Ah, interesting. Quite strong on the nits, that TV
                  I’m a bit clueless on that but I really should check the numbers as some games have a nits setting and the range is huge.

Comment

I’ve got the Panasonic UB820 too. It seems widely regarded as the best player out there before spending silly money. I used to play my discs on the Xbox one x and then the PS5. I actually think the One X was better than the PS5. The Panasonic is in a different league though and well worth getting one over a console. (Playing on a 55 LG C8)

Ah, interesting. Quite strong on the nits, that TV - must pop on discs with really punchy HDR.

I splurged on some new gear over the last couple of years - as of last summer I have a Panasonic GZ950, my first UHD TV, and not long prior to that I got a Marantz NR1508 amp and 5 Dali Zensor Pico speakers (which I run without a subwoofer as their bass is fairly decent and I live in a flat/don't want to make my neighbours vibrate!).

Unfortunately I'm currently running just 3 speakers as my puppy chewed through the wires running to the rears and I haven't got round to replacing them yet.

I got a standalone UHD player when I bought my TV - the Panasonic UB820. I hadn't owned a standalone spinner since the Pioneer DVD player I had back in the 2000s, and it''s really nice actually. Sort of old school. And it has a nifty HDR optimiser feature which helps to stop highlights getting blown out. Especially useful on an OLED where the light output is obviously lower than high end LCD.

I can't actually speak to how much better or worse the PQ is than a console as I literally got the disc player the same day as my TV, so I've never used anything else for UHDs.

If the spirit ever moves you to get a standalone though, it's the one I'd def recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                      I’m a bit clueless on that but I really should check the numbers as some games have a nits setting and the range is huge.
                      From a quick google, yours can do 1000 nits - higher than you'd get on an OLED, which are normally in the 700 sort of range.

Basically means those bright points in an HDR image can get very bright!

@Stakers That's good to hear I've loved using the UB820 personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Stakers View Post
                        I used to play my discs on the Xbox one x and then the PS5. I actually think the One X was better than the PS5.
                        I used to use the Series X but I've since switched to the PS5. The reason is I started noticing the picture jumping/skipping a frame every so often (apparently known as micro stutter) and it seems the problem is the Series X plays 24fps content at 23.976fps, causing a skip every 40odd seconds or so. Can't live with that.

From a quick google, yours can do 1000 nits - higher than you'd get on an OLED, which are normally in the 700 sort of range.

Basically means those bright points in an HDR image can get very bright!
                        Good to know, cheers wakka.

Comment

Never been a massive fan of Anime but I always loved Akira and this …

Comment

What's in the pack, Jack?

Comment

Yeah, open it up, Chuck.

Comment

Not at home so I’ll post a pic, Vic

Comment

Working...
                                X