Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That Rio Grande looks awesome.

Comment

Akira arrived! A few days early too, it was meant to arrive on Thursday, but I got a surprise text from DHL today saying it was out for delivery

Gotta say it's a beautiful boxset. The book has some images from the film, and a bunch of text, presumably information about its production. A short interview with some of the staff who worked on it with some photos of them also included.

Of course, the text is all in Japanese unfortunately.

This goes nicely with my 2001 set - I think I'm off to a strong start!

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Akira arrived! A few days early too, it was meant to arrive on Thursday, but I got a surprise text from DHL today saying it was out for delivery

Gotta say it's a beautiful boxset. The book has some images from the film, and a bunch of text, presumably information about its production. A short interview with some of the staff who worked on it with some photos of them also included.

If I'm ever going to buy this again it's got to be the 4k version. Does this have the high bit audio too?

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
          If I'm ever going to buy this again it's got to be the 4k version. Does this have the high bit audio too?
          It does indeed, yeah.

Comment

That Akira boxset looks ace [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]

Comment

Beautiful
              Was looking at this earlier on Yes Asia since it's free shipping & still £77
              Just need to sell some stuff first
              Would look great along with my other Blu-Ray versions

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                I’ve used VLC on my Xbox to play 4K77 and 4K83. Older versions on VLC did struggle a bit from USB drive but once I put it on an external 2.5” HDD it’s been ok. Got the UHDs coming from Canada now.
                Only just spotted this - thanks, this sounds like a much better solution!

UHDs sound ideal though - would you please be able to point me in the direction of these please?

And yeah @Soundwave, it’s expensive. I paid £80 shipped from Amazon JP. That included pre-payment of import tax though. Your Kimchi DVD edition is really nice.

Comment

Only just spotted this - thanks, this sounds like a much better solution!

UHDs sound ideal though - would you please be able to point me in the direction of these please?
                  I bought them from a Canadian eBay seller but you could import them from Germany to avoid the wait.
                  I think Amazon Germany will ship to the UK. Also have a look at Media-dealer.de

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                    I bought them from a Canadian eBay seller but you could import them from Germany to avoid the wait.
                    I think Amazon Germany will ship to the UK. Also have a look at Media-dealer.de
                    D'oh, I stupidly thought you were talking about someone making UHD discs of 4K77, rather than the official Disney discs!

Thanks though - and I'm not familiar with media-dealer.de, but it looks like a good website to know about.

Comment

Some lovely gets, [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION]!

Comment

I'm tempted by the Akira set (£61 before shipping from Amazon.jp) but there's some chatter that it has been DNR'd to death so doesn't look as filmic as it could.

I have the steelbook Blu-ray so that may be as good as it gets for me.

Comment

Yeah, I've read the same. I waited for a few initial reports from the forums on Blu-ray.com and elsewhere, which seemed very positive, and I saw some screengrabs that looked great, so went for it.

Now a lot of people are saying the DNR is too strong. Obviously though I've already bought it so I'll be watching it to find out for myself. I know it is an issue with older anime that DNR is often too strident. Hopefully it's not a dealbreaker PQ-wise - but I'm still excited about the prospect of watching the film with HDR.

Comment

No prizes for guessing what I’ll be watching on my week off.

Comment

Latest pick ups include (finally) an upgrade to my Crash dvd and some Buster Keaton action

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
                                Latest pick ups include (finally) an upgrade to my Crash dvd and some Buster Keaton action

Crash is a ace film ..Class pick ups mate

Comment

Working...
                                X