Show us your latest Blu Ray/DVD purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Transformers the Movie is my fav animation movie of all time. I think I've bought every version of the film there is on optical media. The film still got the touch and the power LOL
    I need to get the shirt from CMcK's avatar with Prime playing the guitar!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
      I don't think I've properly watched The Wizard of Oz.
      In fact, I think I only saw TF:TM for the first time about a year ago! (I was into the comics as a kid, rather than the cartoons.)
      Wait seriously??
      You only saw TF: TM last year??
      If I'd have known that there is no way we could have been friends
      Glad you finally got around to it though

Neil

Comment

This turned up today with some nice additional art cards in the box too

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          This turned up today with some nice additional art cards in the box too

Nice been seeing these all over Twitter all weekend
          Hoping my one lands today as well
          Looks like an amazing set

Neil

Comment

Comment

Gotta ask what these last two look like in HD.

Dawn of the Dead always had a dodgy feel, which added to the atmosphere, also the editing, which chops about from TV studio to Apartment block to helicopter in about 5 minutes, but the whole thing just feels lo-fi. Not sure how HD would help?

Even more so for Shaolin Wooden Men.
              Saw it not long after getting into Jackie Chan films via Jonathan Ross, but was massively underwhelmed.
              There's a massive gulf between this and Police Story, for example.
              I'm curious if they've managed to squeeze any special features from such an old film and if the quality of the visuals are improved.

There are loads of great Fu films I wish they'd look at rather than re-release the HKL discs again, IMHO.

Comment

Gotta ask what these last two look like in HD.

Dawn of the Dead always had a dodgy feel, which added to the atmosphere, also the editing, which chops about from TV studio to Apartment block to helicopter in about 5 minutes, but the whole thing just feels lo-fi. Not sure how HD would help?

Even more so for Shaolin Wooden Men.
                Saw it not long after getting into Jackie Chan films via Jonathan Ross, but was massively underwhelmed.
                There's a massive gulf between this and Police Story, for example.
                I'm curious if they've managed to squeeze any special features from such an old film and if the quality of the visuals are improved.

There are loads of great Fu films I wish they'd look at rather than re-release the HKL discs again, IMHO.
                Haven’t seen the 4k version but the arrow and XT video versions look great in 1080p

The XT video collectors box set has 4 different cuts including the 155 min version on BR.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                  Haven’t seen the 4k version but the arrow and XT video versions look great in 1080p

The XT video collectors box set has 4 different cuts including the 155 min version on BR.
                  Cheers. I just wonder how much polishing they can do on prints that never started off great.
                  I'm not on the 4K bandwagon yet, but understand something like 2001 can look great because of the stock it was shot on, but something shot on VHS I'm unsure how it'll ever look crisp.

What are the edits like on that XT version?
                  Do you know what I mean about the editing in DotD? It's all over the shop!

Comment

Cheers. I just wonder how much polishing they can do on prints that never started off great.
                    I'm not on the 4K bandwagon yet, but understand something like 2001 can look great because of the stock it was shot on, but something shot on VHS I'm unsure how it'll ever look crisp.

I'm not an expert on the film at all by any means, but are you sure it was shot on VHS? I'm pretty sure it was 35mm?

35mm is obviously organic so doesn't have a resolution as such, but it contains tons of detail, definitely worth re-scanning for a UHD disc. You mention 2001, yeah, that was on 70mm, which has enough detail to be worth recovering to 8K.

The other thing about UHD is that it supports HDR and wide colour gamut, which can also help to make these films look better.

Of course, there are other factors at play as to whether the resulting disc is worthwhile - is the actual print that's being rescanned in decent nick, are the colourists doing the HDR and WCG stuff actually following the original director's intent, and so on. Not to mention the question of whether a pristine version, which can clearly show the cracks and corner-cutting in terms of sets/make-up and so on, is really preferable to a more forgiving version.

But basically, yeah, I'd say it's certainly worth these 35mm films being rescanned. There's the potential for them to look much better than they ever did on previous home formats.
                    Last edited by wakka; 13-11-2020, 14:04.

Comment

It depends which edit of DOTD you go for in general, as they are all pieced together quite differently, especially the Argento cut (totally different soundtrack and OTT scenes). The complete version is my go to now, but its over 2.5 hrs long; it’s slow and laborious but you can really get sucked into the plight of the characters.

The movie probably needs a full restoration, but I’m very happy with those German prints until that happens.

I am not 4k for movies yet either. I really can’t get rid of my VT65 plasma until it dies, as it looks so good for 1080p content. Most of the movies I watch and own will never get 4k releases anyway, so I am in no hurry to upgrade. I have seen my mates 4k Sony OLED in action and the detail is incredible for a lot of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                        It depends which edit of DOTD you go for in general, as they are all pieced together quite differently, especially the Argento cut (totally different soundtrack and OTT scenes). The complete version is my go to now, but its over 2.5 hrs long; it’s slow and laborious but you can really get sucked into the plight of the characters.

The movie probably needs a full restoration, but I’m very happy with those German prints until that happens.

I am not 4k for movies yet either. I really can’t get rid of my VT65 plasma until it dies, as it looks so good for 1080p content. Most of the movies I watch and own will never get 4k releases anyway, so I am in no hurry to upgrade. I have seen my mates 4k Sony OLED in action and the detail is incredible for a lot of stuff.
                        Cheers. It's such an engrossing world, that I think I could handle being in it for 2.5 hours.
                        I guess I'm used to modern edits, but I always find it interesting to see how scenes are chopped to affect pacing.

This article about Aliens being edited somewhere between the Theatrical and Special Edition would sit better.
                        Less LV-426 is actually better:
                        How one man found his favourite cut of James Cameron's Aliens lying half-way between the theatrical release and the Special Edition.

It's terrible, but I'm kinda hoping our 10+ year old 32" Panny plasma gives up the ghost so I can upgrade!

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        I'm not an expert on the film at all by any means, but are you sure it was shot on VHS? I'm pretty sure it was 35mm?
                        Apologies, I wasn't saying DotD was shot on VHS, I was just asking how films shot on low-quality film stock can be made to look much better.

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                        35mm is obviously organic so doesn't have a resolution as such, but it contains tons of detail, definitely worth re-scanning for a UHD disc. You mention 2001, yeah, that was on 70mm, which has enough detail to be worth recovering to 8K.

The other thing about UHD is that it supports HDR and wide colour gamut, which can also help to make these films look better.

Of course, there are other factors at play as to whether the resulting disc is worthwhile - is the actual print that's being rescanned in decent nick, are the colourists doing the HDR and WCG stuff actually following the original director's intent, and so on. Not to mention the question of whether a pristine version, which can clearly show the cracks and corner-cutting in terms of sets/make-up and so on, is really preferable to a more forgiving version.

But basically, yeah, I'd say it's certainly worth these 35mm films being rescanned. There's the potential for them to look much better than they ever did on previous home formats.
                        Which answers my question, cheers!

Comment

[MENTION=2697]dvdx2[/MENTION] I was on the same kick with a Panasonic UT50 plasma (GT50/ST50 minus a few bells and whistles) till earlier this year. Those old Panny plasmas are still absolute bangers.
                          [MENTION=10111]QualityChimp[/MENTION] glad it’s useful, I’m a total bore on this sort of thing

Comment

I recently watched that Blu-Ray of Prince of Darkness and it's definitely sharper, I audibly noted to myself in an empty room.

Comment

I watched that on UHD recently! I'm not a big fan though tbh...it takes absolutely forever to get going and the characters are really forgettable. Plus the interesting idea about Satan being understood on a quantum physics level gets chucked out the window pretty quickly.

Originally posted by QualityChimp
                              I audibly noted to myself in an empty room/

Comment

My copy of Dawn of The Dead arrived on Wednesday

Quick pic with my original Arrow LE as well

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X