X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another lunch break in town, another couple of Crits

Comment

Couldn’t resist upgrading to the new Akira release

... which will join my other versions (don’t have the VHS anymore )

Comment

Bought it ‘cos [MENTION=5490]wakka[/MENTION] can’t watch his copy yet.

Cell’s interlinked.

Comment

Originally posted by Atticus View Post
          Couldn’t resist upgrading to the new Akira release

... which will join my other versions (don’t have the VHS anymore )
          Is that a UHD version? That would be the perfect excuse to replace my special edition DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            Is that a UHD version? That would be the perfect excuse to replace my special edition DVD.
            Afraid to say it wouldn't be. The 4k version is DNR'd beyond belief and looks pretty awful.

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
              Afraid to say it wouldn't be. The 4k version is DNR'd beyond belief and looks pretty awful.
              Ah. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Grover View Post
                Bought it ‘cos @wakka can’t watch his copy yet.

Cell’s interlinked.

Hehe, nah, I've got all my gear, I upgraded to UHD just before you did

My copy took ages to arrive though - it only just turned up today after ordering last week sometime! Looking forward to finally watching it as I held off watching the 1080 Blu for aaaages.

@Atticus worth noting that the standard Blu-ray disc of extras in the Akira set is region free. The featurettes are sadly not subtitled (although weirdly there is a subtitle option on the main menu, which appears to do precisely nothing), but you can watch some old trailers and click through the full original hand drawn storyboard for the film, which is pretty cool.

Originally posted by Teddymeow

Ah, that's harsh. Have you watched it? The DNR is pretty heavy but it's still a massive upgrade over DVD.
                Last edited by wakka; 07-07-2020, 09:34.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Ah, that's harsh. Have you watched it? The DNR is pretty heavy but it's still a massive upgrade over DVD.[/COLOR]
                  DVD maybe but not the Blu-ray from a few years back.

Comment

Some new kino Lorbers in the house

Image 4-AB8-B947-125-F-4982-86-D9-D829-D88-B497-E hosted in ImgBB

Comment

Originally posted by teddymeow View Post
                      DVD maybe but not the Blu-ray from a few years back.
                      Yeah, there's some detail loss which is a shame. The colours and contrast are beautifully rich in comparison the standard Blu though. It's a very nice edition to own, just not perfect.

Comment

Studios need to really back off on the DNR, especially in animated movies. Some of the Disney movies have been absolutely butchered by it.

Comment

Can’t beat a bit of Asian Hawk action -

(ok lets not mention CZ2012)

Comment

Amazing! How is it?
                            Longer print, isn't it?
                            Picked up the version that was knocking around for years, which is pretty bare bones.

First time seeing it since a teenager and the way he treats the women in this is... anachronistic.

Action is still breathtaking, though.

Comment

Won’t get a chance to watch it until the weekend possibly. If it’s been restored at the same level as the other releases it should look great. Looking forward to seeing this extended cut.

Comment

Jackie Chan, My main man !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X