Show us your latest Blu Ray/DVD purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is rather interesting on the bonus disc

“Day of the Dead < Final version> ” Main story (95 minutes / English Dolby Digital Monaural / 4: 3 / Japanese subtitles / SD)

Comment

I don't have Blu-Ray player, I'm still in the DVD era, but it's great to see the Blu-Rays that people are buying. Here's my recent DVD pickups:

I found the Akira Kurosawa movies Rashomon, 7 Samurais and Hidden Fortress from a used movie store. I had not seen any of these before.

I have been picking up Star Trek box sets because I've been a huge Star Trek fan for a long time and decided that I want to own them all physically.

Comment

This is an Awsome set. Thanks for posting it. Bought one from amazon Japan which will arrive on Saturday. Not cheap mind you. 9600 yen with a 22% discount. Still, for such a packed set of a classic movie, it's worth the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Travesty View Post

I found the Akira Kurosawa movies Rashomon, 7 Samurais and Hidden Fortress from a used movie store. I had not seen any of these before.
          You are in for a real treat that’s three brilliant films there. Rashomon and The Seven Samurai received Western remakes as The Outrage and The Magnificent Seven respectively so may seem a bit familiar. Hidden Fortress “inspired” Star Wars. Heavily, see what you think yourself. The artwork on those DVDs has a lot more impact than the BFI editions over here too.

Comment

Nice gets @Travesty. I like the art on the Kurosawa DVDs - they don’t seem to be U.K. versions, interestingly.

You can’t beat a bit of TOS, either. If you ever upgrade to Blu-ray, it had an incredible restoration for that format.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
              Nice gets @Travesty. I like the art on the Kurosawa DVDs - they don’t seem to be U.K. versions, interestingly.
              Seven Samurais is Swedish release. Rashomon and Hidden Fortress are Finnish releases.

You can’t beat a bit of TOS, either. If you ever upgrade to Blu-ray, it had an incredible restoration for that format.
              That DVD box that I got is from the same remastered source that the Blu-ray's are. It's a shame that TNG did not get the remastered DVD boxes like TOS got, the only way to watch the remastered TNG is to get the Blu-ray.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              You are in for a real treat that’s three brilliant films there. Rashomon and The Seven Samurai received Western remakes as The Outrage and The Magnificent Seven respectively so may seem a bit familiar. Hidden Fortress “inspired” Star Wars. Heavily, see what you think yourself. The artwork on those DVDs has a lot more impact than the BFI editions over here too.
              Hidden Fortress was a good movie, but Tahei and Matashichi were too rapey near Princess Yuki, which took a lot of enjoyment of the movie for me. I do see the similarities to Star Wars, it is fascinating certainly.
              I have not watched the other 2 yet.

Comment

Looking forward to watching this. Day of the Dead - Memorial Edition Blu-ray set

The front has a lenticular cover

The contents

Double sided news paper cutting

Original Japanese Day of the Dead Story (yes, this is how a real Japanese book looks)

Great book full of info related to the movie, making and release.

The actual BluRay slipcase and case

The discs
                Last edited by Yakumo; 23-01-2021, 03:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                  This is an Awsome set. Thanks for posting it. Bought one from amazon Japan which will arrive on Saturday. Not cheap mind you. 9600 yen with a 22% discount. Still, for such a packed set of a classic movie, it's worth the cash.

Nice - let me know what you thought of the transfer and if you can find out More about that 95 min ‘Final’ version / main feature new hd transfer.
                  Last edited by dvdx2; 23-01-2021, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                    Nice - let me know what you thought of the transfer and if you can find out More about that 95 min ‘Final’ version / main feature new hd transfer.
                    Will do. I'll be watching the main film on Wednesday with other stuff the following days.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      Well, I watched the HD transfer tonight and I have to say it is well done. They've cleaned it up, took out the wobbly film but kept the inperfections. So it looks new but still old if you know what I mean. Nice and sharp with an air of an old film.

The final edition seems to be a direct original real capture. It's in standard deff, has zero clean up done to it and is in mono with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
                      I've not watched the whole movie but it must be edited because the remastered version is 1 hour 38 minutes while this version is 1 hour 35 minutes. So either something is cut or the end credits are shorter. I'll watch the "final version" on Wednesday while eating a pizza.

Comment

Well, I watched the HD transfer tonight and I have to say it is well done. They've cleaned it up, took out the wobbly film but kept the inperfections. So it looks new but still old if you know what I mean. Nice and sharp with an air of an old film.

The final edition seems to be a direct original real capture. It's in standard deff, has zero clean up done to it and is in mono with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
                        I've not watched the whole movie but it must be edited because the remastered version is 1 hour 38 minutes while this version is 1 hour 35 minutes. So either something is cut or the end credits are shorter. I'll watch the "final version" on Wednesday while eating a pizza.
                        Yes quite abit if the flicker seems to be corrected and there is way less grain, but it still has the detail - as you say a nice clean up. I haven’t watched the ‘final’ version either but it must be censored to chop minutes of it. If you spot the differences, let me know.

Comment

I'll watch the "final version" on Wednesday while eating a pizza.
                          "Choke on 'em!"

Comment

Just a heads up that Arrow have announced a new Battle Royale set. Now I have the last limited edition Blu-Ray set they put out and it's great so why get this one? Well, what they're not shouting about is that this also contains BR2. I actually rewatched both of these films a little while back and I love them. Even the second - yes, it's not a patch on the original and flawed in many ways, right down to the concept, but it's an entertaining watch. So I'll be very to upgrade from my old HK DVD to this set.

Comment

Cool, I dig that. Considering it's £55, it's a little bit of a shame it isn't UHD though.

EDIT: Might as well post new gets, since I'm here.

A New Leaf is not actually new but a gift from my Dad a while back. But I only just watched it the other day and absolutely loved it. Genius. Such a gentle, clever comedy. Currently tracking down Elaine May's other work.

Light Sleeper is a blind buy, but I love Paul Schrader films, and the concept sounds right up my alley.

Millennium Actress is also a blind buy - but I love the other Satoshi Kon films I've seen, so when this came up as an early bird preorder on UHD, I just went for it.
                              Last edited by wakka; 29-01-2021, 15:45.

Comment

Cool, I dig that. Considering it's £55, it's a little bit of a shame it isn't UHD though.

EDIT: Might as well post new gets, since I'm here.

A New Leaf is not actually new but a gift from my Dad a while back. But I only just watched it the other day and absolutely loved it. Genius. Such a gentle, clever comedy. Currently tracking down Elaine May's other work.

Light Sleeper is a blind buy, but I love Paul Schrader films, and the concept sounds right up my alley.

Millennium Actress is also a blind buy - but I love the other Satoshi Kon films I've seen, so when this came up as an early bird preorder on UHD, I just went for it.
                                The 4K UHD version is also listed for £60 early bird.

Totally ordered!!

Comment

Working...
                                X