No announcement yet.

Beers (and other alcohol beverages) thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schiehallion is really good for a lager and probably SWMBOs favourite at the moment. Picked up some Paulaner wheat beer and lager in Majestic yesterday. The wheat stuff is good but the lager is probably only ok for a very cold drink on a hot day.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
      Thank God - someone in a beers thread talking about decent beers! Fosters and its kith and kin are pissy, barely brewed, hardly fermented chemical-infused ****e, barely able to carry the moniker 'beer'. I had Trashy Blonde and 5AM Saint over the last couple of days, very nice, although a lot of Brewdog beers taste pretty similar, with the abvs boosted. Ola Dubh is ace, like you say, but I've only had the one version of it - the 5 years one iirc. The cheapest! Doesn't it come in about 5 different 'years'? I don't think I've had a bad Harviestoun beer yet!
      I have now tried all the versions of Ola Dubh and they are all good. The 18 and 40 year old stuff are both fantastic but at ?5.75 and ?13.00 a bottle I should hope so. Good to see that Sainsburys are selling it these days as well.

Comment

Ha, yeah, the prices put me off too. In Beers of Europe, I had two or three bottle of Ola Dubh in my basket, but it totalled almost 20 quid. So I swapped them for 8 or 9 standard bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
          Lager 77 is very nice. Hey evil, I had the first four beers in my list at the Tap and Spile in Fram. You know it? Schiehallion is a lager, I reckon you'd like it.
          I used to go drinking there when I went to college years ago may give it another try tend to do most of my drinking in Newcastle or Sunderland these days although I do have a soft spot for the dun cow and head of steam in Durham on occasions

Comment

I am planning a visit here in the next couple of months though http://www.brewdog.com/bars

Comment

Heres a good talk show, it's from the USA but does review beers from all over and some USA beers i guess you could import.http://betterbeerauthority.com/

Comment

Brewdog stuff is nice, they occasionally have it in the local Tesco. Very rough quality to them though, so not so good to have with food.

I find myself drifting more towards eastern European stuff these days. Really like Baltika when I can get it, and most Czech pilsners are nice. A lot of the local bars in the 'Ford do Staropramen on draft so I tend to go mostly with that. Avoid the Polish stuff they have in the supermarkets though, it's mostly pretty rubbish. Odd slightly fruity Estonian one called Viru turns up there sometimes, quite like that.

Japanese lagers are decent, but I'm not a fan of Asahi and there aren't many other options in the UK. One pub here has Kirin Ichiban, which makes a nice change.

I can't stand Kronenbourg at all, and I'm not a fan of Stella either. And all these new 4% ones can knob right off. Becks Vier tastes like someone filtered budweiser through a compost heap.

Guildford seems to be going through an Iberian phase at the moment though. Most bars carry San Miguel and Estrella, neither of which I'm overly fond of apart from the funky glasses.

Comment

Every time I see a thread like this I end up drunk !

Comment

I had my first DogFish Head ale on Saturday. Was the 12% Palo Santo ale and was fantastic. The alcohol gave a sweet tingle on the tongue.

Comment

Not beer but have bought a bottle of grey goose vodka to enjoy with the lady tonight (and probably the next couple of nights too) ?31.49 and yes I'll still drink it with coke.

Ooo and as I'm going to yo sushi tonight I get to have a giant Sapporo as a starter! Result
                      Last edited by ETC; 01-08-2011, 14:14.

Comment

Our local Tesco has just started stocking those giant 650ml cans of Sapporo.

Love these things, such a massive can, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                          Our local Tesco has just started stocking those giant 650ml cans of Sapporo.Love these things, such a massive can, hehe.
                          Very jealous of this I tried my local tesco extras but no joy must be a new store restricted line but strangely everywhere here sells baltika(3 for ?5 for the large bottles) had to settle for some more of the tasty brewdog lager 77 but only ?1.45 each in the tesco also thought I would try a peroni gran reserve (not bad) and to appease prinny a hardcore ipa which was very tasty if a little powerful for a Thursday night (about 9%abv)
                          Last edited by ETC; 05-08-2011, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Flabio View Post
                            Our local Tesco has just started stocking those giant 650ml cans of Sapporo. Love these things, such a massive can, hehe.
                            Here in Finland we have 1000 ml beer cans (at least from one brewery). Just don't really see the point as buying 3 x 330 ml cans is cheaper and easier to drink from.

Comment

Originally posted by evilthecatuk View Post
                              Very jealous of this I tried my local tesco extras but no joy must be a new store restricted line but strangely everywhere here sells baltika(3 for ?5 for the large bottles) had to settle for some more of the tasty brewdog lager 77 but only ?1.45 each in the tesco also thought I would try a peroni gran reserve (not bad) and to appease prinny a hardcore ipa which was very tasty if a little powerful for a Thursday night (about 9%abv)
                              Every night is hardcore ipa night! I had a bottle of it the other day after lunch, most invigorating.

Comment

anyone in here into ciders ?

what you drinking at the moment any to recommend that aint the usual stuff sold in supermarkets.

its 8.5% but once really chilled henry weston special vintage i rather like.

Comment

Working...
                                X