Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critics Club III: Film of the Year 1989

The final year of the 80's hits before we take a break till the new year. Get you final 80's era fix from...

Discuss your memories and thoughts of the movies of 1989
    Deepstar Six
    0%
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
    0%
    Driving Miss Daisy
    0%
    Back to the Future Part II
    0%
    Who's Harry Crumb?
    0%
    The Fly II
    0%
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
    0%
    The 'Burbs
    0%
    The Little Mermaid
    0%
    Steel Magnolia's
    0%
    Born on the Fourth of July
    0%
    The Toxic Avenger Part II
    0%
    Harlem Nights
    0%
    Lean on Me
    0%
    Tango & Cash
    0%
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
    0%
    Police Academy 6: City Under Seige
    0%
    Fletch Lives
    0%
    Leviathan
    0%
    976-EVIL
    0%
    Castle in the Sky
    0%
    Heathers
    0%
    All Dogs Go to Heaven
    0%
    Look Who's Talking
    0%
    Major League
    0%
    Halloween 5: The Curse of Michael Myers
    0%
    Kickboxer
    0%
    Field of Dreams
    0%
    Pet Semetary
    0%
    Always
    0%
    Speed Zone
    0%
    K-9
    0%
    Scandal
    0%
    Earth Girls Are Easy
    0%
    See No Evil, Hear No Evil
    0%
    Fright Night Part 2
    0%
    Miracle Mile
    0%
    Road House
    0%
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    0%
    Pink Cadillac
    0%
    The Dead Poets Society
    0%
    Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    0%
    Ghostbusters II
    0%
    Batman
    0%
    Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
    0%
    Great Balls of Fire!
    0%
    The Karate Kid Part III
    0%
    Weekend at Bernie's
    0%
    Lethal Weapon 2
    0%
    License to Kill
    0%
    When Harry Met Sally
    0%
    Black Rain
    0%
    Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
    0%
    Turner & Hooch
    0%
    Parenthood
    0%
    Lock Up
    0%
    The Abyss
    0%
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child
    0%
    Uncle Buck
    0%
    Sex, Lies and Videotape
    0%

This is another one of those years with a list that is broadly on fire. In many other years I'd give the top nod to Back to the Future Part II, it follows on from the first film so well barring the recasting of Jennifer and dovetails itself into the first film in a slick way that between the two continues to showcase how insanely well made they were for their time.

Though I didn't vote for it The 'Burbs is a great little entry into Tom Hanks filmopgraphy too

Another easy vote is The Little Mermaid, I don't know what happened at Disney Animation Studios but the incredible step up in quality from the rest of their 80's output to this film that jump started the famed Renaissance period is stark. Hasn't aged a day in its thirty years.

Another I didn't vote for but enjoy a lot is Tango & Cash which is blatantly thanks to the casting

It's not as good as the original and largely is a poorer retread but there's still a lot of fun to be had from Ghostbusters II

Another one that rests a lot on the casting but is a fun watch is See No Evil, Hear No Evil. Pryor and Wilder are such a great pairing and they really go all out on this one.

Another easy vote is Batman, I don't hold it quite as lofty as many but there's no denying how iconic much of it is

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids is great fun too even though the large scaled sets always looked fake even as a kid. Never needed its sequels though.

And then Uncle Buck is essentially one long great John Candy showcase. So much of this rests on his shoulders it's no surprise the TV remake was as bad as the announcement instantly felt it would be.

Top vote is an easy slam dunk, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Screw the haters, it's the best entry in the franchise and the best film of the year. It has almost everything Raiders has but for me it has better pacing and what it loses in a more grounded tone it makes up in utter abundance in the interplay with Ford and Connery as well as having some of the ancillary characters along like Marcus which just elevates it. A stream of great moments.

Comment

A lot of films I enjoy on this list... and yet I'm only ticking one for this year because I feel it's the only absolute classic of the bunch: Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. It's the strongest entry by a wide margin for me. There are other good films, like Road House and Black Rain, of course, but they're not near the same level for me personally and just about every sequel on the list is weaker than its predecessor.

Comment

Uncle Buck is arguably my favourite Candy film, he just owns it completely (although Culkin and Kelly are great too).
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Road House was originally set down Durham on a Friday night.

Comment

Lots of enjoyable films on that list but I have to single out Licence to Kill. Timothy Dalton playing a Bond role actually written for him and he nails it. Shame we never saw him in the role again. Still my favourite Bond film. Robert Davi is great in it too.

Comment

1980's Finale tomorrow, last chance for '89 voting

Comment

Working...
              X