• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
    My local MP is 516/650 .
    8/650

Comment

Comment

I think Trump and Putin have both asked for one of those for Christmas.

Comment

Saw this today. Same argument if you don't vote, meaning you are happy how things are burning around you.

Edit - 176/650 so top 3rd isn't terrible I guess
          Last edited by Blobcat; 06-12-2019, 18:21.

Comment

Last Opinium poll shows the Tories open up a 15 point lead on Labour

Yet a final push on tactical voting has begun following a new poll suggesting the Tory majority has halved in the last fortnight.

My takeaway from this seems to be that this will be the fourth (?) consecutive voting set of polls to prove only one thing, opinion polls no longer work.

Comment

Boris was confronted by a journalist who showed him a picture of a 4 year old lying on a pile of coats on the floor in Leeds General Hospital because of the lack of beds and Boris simply took the phone and put it in his pocket. Didn't look, didn't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius_Smoke View Post
                Boris was confronted by a journalist who showed him a picture of a 4 year old lying on a pile of coats on the floor in Leeds General Hospital because of the lack of beds and Boris simply took the phone and put it in his pocket. Didn't look, didn't care.

That's just flubblegump! Absolute rubblemuff. (mumble mumble). Get Brexit done.

Comment

I can't believe anyone would vote Conservative. They are like cartoon bad guys at this point.
                  Not even cool bad guys like Darth Vader or Thanos, just really rubbish ones.

Comment

650/650

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      I can't believe anyone would vote Conservative. They are like cartoon bad guys at this point.
                      Not even cool bad guys like Darth Vader or Thanos, just really rubbish ones.
                      The stuff they're reading on FB etc. must be powerfully persuasive.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, even though it's an unpopular opinion. Few people go to the polls, with a moustache-twirling, comical villain demeanour. They don't cackle evilly as they mark their ballot for the Tories. Some do it out of a sense of self-interest; either because they want to maintain their position in an unequal society; but that's only genuinely wealthy people and nowhere near a voting majority.

There's also a bunch of misanthropes who don't want to address inequality because they have designs on becoming 1%-ers themselves, and don't want to get there only for society to become more equal and for all of that to be for nothing. Those people can **** off, but I also like to think they're not the majority either.

I like to think the best of people; maybe that's naive, but it's true. There are people out there who genuinely believe that the Tory way is the best way forward for the country; not out of a selfish desire to hoard riches, but out of a sense of honesty, however misplaced, that their policies are just.

The thing is, despite that deep-seated belief, even I'm mystified about how they command such a majority. Things haven't exactly been going swimmingly for the last few years. We have loads of problems that the Tories just seem disinclined to fix, and some of their policies/statements have been complete fabrications; chief among them this Irish Border situation, which really annoys me due to how it's an unsolvable problem and no-one has the spine to come out and say it, terrified of the consequences, so they just kick the can further and further down the road, hoping they won't be in power when someone finally has to pay the piper.

I can only assume it's the core-supporter effect; the people who vote Tory and would always vote Tory. Either they decided they were a Tory years ago and they've stuck with it, or they're the sort of person who effects no political agency and just votes along the same lines of their more knowledgeable spouse/parent/friend/boss.

This is why I have to assume that Facebook propaganda plays a big part, because it's the biggest part of the political sphere in which I have zero engagement (as someone who doesn't use it).

Comment

Honestly, you can believe the best of them but they are either utterly ignorant, idiots or, in spite of anything they might say, are the worst in people or support the worst in people. In order to support the Tories now you either have to know nothing about them (ignorant) or you have to be okay with Johnson’s rampant racism, be okay the devastating effects of austerity, be may with the marginalising and vilifying of immigrants including those who have spent most of their lives living in and contributing to the UK, be okay with the idea that it’s good for people to be on the poverty line to inspire them to ‘keep up with the Joneses’, that the ‘spirit of envy’ is a positive, be okay with public services being sold off to their buddies, be okay with weighting an entire society in favour of those already rich, be okay with statements such as people with disabilities being paid less is okay because they don’t understand money, and much, much more. And when you get through it all, I’m not sure what remains to have someone thinking the best of anyone who will be okay with any of that.

I know you don’t support any of that but I feel it’s long past time we stopped looking to excuse it.

Comment

What I see on Facebook is interesting.

People sharing awful news about what the tories have done or are doing.
                          People sharing what the other parties are going to do to try to fix what the tories have done.
                          People sharing stuff about tories proven to be lying over and over.
                          People sharing stuff about tories trying to influence the election with fake news (why hasn't the electoral commission done anything about this yet?)

People sharing memes taking the piss out of Corbyn
                          People sharing stories about Corbyn pouring beer wrong
                          People sharing stories about Corbyn wearing a scruffy coat
                          People sharing how it's all Labour's fault we are where we are now, even though the tories have had 9 years to do something useful.

Spot the difference between the two sets of people.

No people at all sharing anything good about what the tories will do if they are relected. Not one.

I'd like to vote Green in my area, but it will have to be Labour or Lib Dem to have any impact. Recent polls suggest Lib Dem will smash it, but the last election suggests Labour have the best chance. Not sure which way to jump.

Comment

Voting chat 20 years ago:

Who are you going to vote for?
                            Party X. How about you?
                            Party Y probably. Want to go for a pint?

Voting chat now:
                            I'm voting for Party X. Party Y and Z are evil and will ruin the country.
                            Oh. I'm voting for Party Z because Party X are liars, but they are all crooks tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                              No people at all sharing anything good about what the tories will do if they are relected. Not one.
                              Why would you expect to see positive Tory posts on your Facebook feed if you don't support the Tories? That's not how Facebook works.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                                Why would you expect to see positive Tory posts on your Facebook feed if you don't support the Tories? That's not how Facebook works.
                                Because I use "most recent". And because I have lots of friends who will vote tory and see all their anti Labour memes, which by your reasoning I should not be seeing.

Comment

Working...
                                X