The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great pics Dave.

The game looks fantastic even on my really crappy old low end rig, I've never gotten around to installing the fancy pants special edition, which I expect looks even better.

The next ES game in 4k will be astonishing I reckon.

Comment

So...I've died the same number of times I did on any of the demon/dark souls games already.

Instead of the fighting the Whiterun guard I just let myself go to jail. Seems like that was the correct option? But stupid when that wasn't an option the first 3 times!

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        So...I've died the same number of times I did on any of the demon/dark souls games already.

Instead of the fighting the Whiterun guard I just let myself go to jail. Seems like that was the correct option? But stupid when that wasn't an option the first 3 times!
        What are you doing wrong to get sent to jail? That's not a scripted event - you go to jail after committing crime.

Comment

I have no idea.

You lot reallllllllly oversold this game. So far it's like a medieval walking simulator without charm. When does it get fun exactly?

Comment

It gets fun when you jump backwards up a mountain and then die somehow,

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
              I have no idea.

You lot reallllllllly oversold this game. So far it's like a medieval walking simulator without charm. When does it get fun exactly?
              When you buy the PC version and invest a considerable amount of time both fixing and modding it. My 3/10 for the base game still stands.

Comment

AH I get it now. It's game-making software disguised as a game. They just forgot to put the fixing/modding ability into the Switch version.

Comment

Does this game have an end sequence? I may have completed the most important mission of the game but it was barely marked so I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                    Does this game have an end sequence? I may have completed the most important mission of the game but it was barely marked so I could be wrong.
                    Same here. Is this what you're talking about (and apologies if this is something you haven't done but I can't imagine it being a surpise either way):

The geezer that was bringing dragons back to life and then taking their power and had forced a bunch of people to work for him and stuff? Well I killed him. Does that mean I won? I'm not sure

Comment

Yep. That seemed to be where the game was leading but one very easy fight seemed to sort it (took a while getting there though) and then a quick a speech and off I go again. So not quite sure if there is more to come in terms of the main missions. Also wondered if the civil war plays into it because I seem to have finished that too. Was surprised the two didn't converge so maybe that's still to come...?

Comment

Yeah all same here. No difference between completing those quests and returning a woman’s hat really.

Comment

It's not helped by the fact that nobody in Skyrim seems remotely bothered either way that Alduin is defeated and dragons will no longer be attacking their cities.

Comment

Though you need to hack the system, mods are now hitting Switch

Comment

I'm finally coming to an end with this game, having just a whole bunch of little quests on my list that don't seem to have much importance. I think the main big story quests are all done. So after a LOT of play on the Switch and coming to this years after everyone else, here's what I think:

The amount of content in here is crazy. There is so much to do and, in that regard, the game is a huge success. It is a game you can just get lost in for months and effectively live in. I just kept on finding new places and new quests and it just kept on giving. It is a vast game in ways that few other games could possibly compete with.

But I feel the game could have done with more structure within that. The first thing better structure could have helped with is in the progression around the landscape. The play area is massive and yet didn't feel massive to me because a large number of quests, even early ones, send you across the map. Chuck in the fast travel mechanic and you're teleporting all over the map without really taking in its scale or getting to know all that many places. By contrast, my experience of Fallout 3 felt much more like an epic trek just due to how the missions seemed to be much more local at first before I would push myself further afield. I don't feel Skyrim got the benefit of its huge map because, with mission placement plus fast travel, it became a bit abstract. Given there was a cart mechanic to take you to major cities, I would suggest that the fast travel was redundant and worked against the game.

The other thing is that the game never reaches a climax. There is no ending. No reward. I wasn't sure I had completed the main quests because there was no fanfare. As far as I know, I have but there is still a sense that maybe there is more to come, like the story hasn't quite finished. Early build ups didn't seem paid off and, ultimately, it will be one of those games I stop playing in a sort of 'getting bored with it' trickle rather than a hefty dose of fireworks and satisfaction.

So I feel the mission structure lets it down a bit. Other than that, I'd love some more interesting art direction. It's technically fine but very bland run of the mill fantasy without any of its own unique touch.

But I have got loads from the game and it kept me sucked in and playing and enjoying most of what I was doing so that's all good.

Comment

Working...
                              X