No announcement yet.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never finished Skyward Sword on the wii either. I really disliked the motion controls (probably didn't make enough effort to familiarise myself with them) ... and I also found the soft, washed-out visuals really dull. The new version is far more of a success. Either its changed or I've changed or a bit of both. I thought I'd be 100% controller mode going in but the motion controls have taken this time. They feel precise and pretty much do exactly what I command of them. Also, that easier, more instinctive camera control is a big plus too (you have to hold L and then move the analogue in controller mode). The watercolour visuals have benefited from the resolution boost too. I'm into it and having fun.

Comment

I bought the limited edition Wii version with the gold remote and CD soundtrack. Could never get to grips with the motion controls that ended venturing into the game.
      The Switch version is a good step up with the motion controls being a lot better now the games is running at 60fps. Can see myself completed this and using the motion controls over standard control

Comment

I think the thing for me is that, even when they work, there is nothing actually better about the motion controls. They were only put in to push the Wii features, in the same way that Link was controlled via touchscreen on the DS ones.

Anyway, I'm further into this now and it seems like I got further than I thought back in the day. Each new part I come to I think it's where I left off on the Wii version and then I get a bit further and realise I got there too. So I have no idea where I left off originally. Deep into the desert section right now.

It's enjoyable. It's a good game. But I think it's so run of the mill and, following two N64 games, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, where three of those really stuck very close to the same formula, I can see why I felt a little burned out on this back in the day. But I'm enjoying it now. Interesting to see a few things in the game that feel like the beginnings of what we would see in Breath of the Wild, including the obnoxiously loud combat hit stings,.

Comment

I have two questions that maybe one of you could help me out with. 1) How do I carry the five pumpkins? I know I tilt left and right when they lean but I can’t seem to turn because the L stick is now just used for that left and right movement. How do I turn? 2) Am I supposed to be able to dowse for anything other than main goals? I just got a bunch more slots but I’ve never used more than one or two slots and it has assigned them to me. Am I supposed to be able to dowse for anything else? If so, how?

Comment

Was looking forward to this as I never played the first time around. But £40 is taking the piss.

Comment

I still haven’t figured out those things above but I’m feeling I have to be getting close to the end. Although it’s very hard to tell. While much of it is enjoyable, it is definitely way down on my list of favourite Zeldas. The game is very much about just telling you to do a thing next and you do it. It’s like it has too much structure or something. It’s not that it’s totally limited because it lets you go to other places and explore and yet still the main path is never something you discover. It’s something you’re ordered to do.

There is a load of padding too. Couldn’t believe how many times it made me beat that same monster at the bottom of the pit. Wasn’t hard, just dull. And almost every task invents another task to draw it out. Couple that with the fact that several of the main areas just build on the first three areas and it feels very samey. I’m now at the tadstones bit and I’m hoping it wraps up soon.

Not a bad game by any means. Loads to enjoy. Just a lower tier Zelda for me.

Comment

I'm in the first dungeon. It's really boring!

Comment

Originally posted by huxley View Post
                  Was looking forward to this as I never played the first time around. But £40 is taking the piss.
                  Were you genuinely expecting it to be priced at £19.99?

I mean, I don't totally disagree with what you're saying but, given the way Nintendo have pretty much premium-priced all of their first-party remasters, there was no way that they weren't going to do the same to this.
                  Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 01-08-2021, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                    Were you genuinely expecting it to be priced at £19.99?

I mean, I don't totally disagree with what you're saying but, given the way Nintendo have pretty much premium-priced all of their first-party remasters, there was no way that they weren't going to do the same to this.
                    After the amount on previous remasters i was hopeful they might see sense and price it lower then a new AAA title. I`ll pick it up second hand or if it ends up sensibly reduced.

Comment

I finished this today. Not everything, I didn’t do all the side quests mostly because I don’t know how to carry pumpkins well. But for the great hero, there are more important skills and I beat the darkness and saved the world. The game is very hit and miss for me. Lots to enjoy. Some lovely areas and, when just being normal Zeldaish adventuring, it works really well. It looks lovely with lots of bright colours and nice textures and design work.

But it’s too forceful on pushing you into chore-like tasks, has an unforgivable amount of repetition and has lots of padding. Quite a few sections I just wanted to get through as quickly as possible so I could get on to better parts. And I hate the controls. They didn’t work for me on the Wii and they don’t work for me now. On the Switch, I had to constantly reset the gyro and, when things get frantic, I found the controls would let me down at the wrong moments. The one exception was flying the beetle, which I really enjoyed and that was a nice addition.

It’s definitely a lower tier Zelda for me. Still enjoyable and glad I got to play through it on the Switch.

Comment

Playing through this on the Switch. Still utter, utter crap.

Comment

I'm on the final dungeon, I think. The overworld is somewhat good but a chore to navigate. I haven't enjoyed any of the side quests. The dungeons are as good as ever though, which is the saving grace. Some of the padding (getting water to extinguish a flame....from the other side of the map...) is atrocious, though. I haven't felt the need to upgrade anything, really. The crafting is a bit of a chore but what is here was clearly refined for Breath of the Wild. I didn't realise that that game was essentially a follow up to this game, mechanically. Bosses have been inventive. Middle tier Zelda for me.
                          Last edited by cutmymilk; 04-11-2021, 09:47.

Comment

I didn't love this on the Wii, and I haven't picked it up for the Switch. I'm kinda concerned that going back to "old Zelda" after playing Breath Of The Wild is going to be a shock.

Comment

Working...
                            X