Akira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akira

A new synopsis sent out to casting agents has revealed that Jaume Collet-Serra’s live-action, English-language “Akira” remake is, aside from the locale and nationality changes, going to be surprisingly similar to its Japanese animated originator. Geek Tyrant has posted the plot description, here’s a copy: “Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned […]

The synopsis for the US live action remake is now out:

"Kaneda is a bar owner in Neo-Manhattan who is stunned when his brother, Tetsuo, is abducted by government agents led by The Colonel.

Desperate to get his brother back, Kaneda agrees to join with Ky Reed and her underground movement who are intent on revealing to the world what truly happened to New York City thirty years ago when it was destroyed. Kaneda believes their theories to be ludicrous but after finding his brother again, is shocked when he displays telekinetic powers.

Ky believes Tetsuo is headed to release a young boy, Akira, who has taken control of Tetsuo?s mind. Kaneda clashes with The Colonel?s troops on his way to stop Tetsuo from releasing Akira but arrives too late. Akira soon emerges from his prison courtesy of Tetsuo as Kaneda races in to save his brother before Akira once again destroys Manhattan island, as he did thirty years ago."

Without getting into a debate about the original, I always felt that whilst not terrible by any means Akira was a somewhat overrated film but one that was well suited to being an animated film. The prospect of a live action adaptation, even if it wasn't a US one, fills me with dread.

It's a bit of an odd one, I've got a feeling that generally it was TOO nuts for any kind of film adaptation.

I'm guessing the original was so legendary because at the time, had seen a Sci-Fi that was so cool and full of spectacle, it does thinks that live action films have only been able to do in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/225...-minor-changes

The synopsis for the US live action remake is now out:

"Kaneda is a bar owner...
      I stopped reading there.

By the way, the original manga stomps the **** out of the animated movie.

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
      Without getting into a debate about the original, I always felt that whilst not terrible by any means Akira was a somewhat overrated film but one that was well suited to being an animated film. The prospect of a live action adaptation, even if it wasn't a US one, fills me with dread.
      Please do yourself a HUGE favour and read the manga. PM me if you have problems finding it.

A live action movie following the manga could be pulled off, but it would need to be a trilogy with James Cameron on it over the course of 10-12 years spending around $500m on each installment.
      Last edited by dataDave; 01-12-2011, 10:37.

Comment

Tbh I'd rather they just make the 6 Manga graphoic novels into 6 massive budget anime using state of the art tech and have it released at the same time this movie comes out to show these stupid, talentless unimaginative ar$eholes how its done Grrrrrrr! I fear this Hollywood interpretation is going to be an abortion of a film, why do those racist mutha fukkas need to have Asian names if they're basing it in America and casting non Asians in the fricking thing? Its even worse than the last Airbender FFS.

The thing is, I thought Watchmen couldnt make the transition from graphic novel to the big screen as it was designed to be read with lots of visual clues hints and detail in the drawings. Snyder didnt do too bad a job with his effort in the end. Its far from perfect but about as good as a movie version could have been. It was an enjoyable enough ride for me. More importantly, it was created by an Englishman using a western veiwpoint to predict a fictional future invoving the US's geo politics (particularly if people started becoming masked vigilantes.)

Akira is different in that its Japanese story. Created by a Japanese man and based on a fictional future Japan with a Japanese viewpoint. This is particularly important with regards to the geo politics discussed (which also involve the US and Russia) which are intrinsic to the plot and to make a US version with an all white cast, based in "New Manhattan" instead of Neo Tokyo just stinks of raping and pillaging of an amazing reference source only to be turned into a nonsense brainless popcorn flick. I might have been in favour of a US based movie if they based it in Japan and used Asian actors but this will stink, make no mistake. Its DragonBall all over again.

Its like Idriss Elba said, "Imagine a film such as Inception with an entire cast of black people – do you think it would be successful?, would people watch it? But no one questions the fact that everyone’s white. That’s what we have to change."

Comment

He's a bar owner? Eh? Isn't a massive part of Akira to do with the characters are some biker gang? They might as well just call this film something else.

Comment

This is going to suck some serious balls. No doubt Kaneda and Tetsuo are going to be Jake Gyllenhaal and Hayden Christensen or some absolutely retarded choice.

Also this thread obviously needs this:

Comment

Everyone isn't white in Inception.

Far from it.

Comment

Why would it even matter if the whole cast in a movie is white? I don't see anyone complaining that there weren't any whites in blaxploitation films or in Boyz n' the Hood for example. I think a "token mexican" or a "token black guy" is more rasist than having all white cast in a film.

Comment

Hopefully it'll get canned. This announcement hasn't exactly set the internet into joyous frenzy.

Bash, Watchmen is actually my favourite super-hero film. Never read the GN before.

I can't re-itterate this enough... Everyone please read the manga. It's a totally different story to the animated movie. The animated movie only contains most of the characters and hints at parts of the story here and there in consolidated form. It's proper mental. I blasted all six of the bastards over three nights and there was many a moment when I was bursting for a piss but couldn't move because I kept having to read 'one more page'. I'm getting shivers down my spine thinking about it now.

Comment

I'm afraid I cannot do that Dave.

I can't afford to spend €100+ on comics ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guts View Post
                      Why would it even matter if the whole cast in a movie is white? I don't see anyone complaining that there weren't any whites in blaxploitation films or in Boyz n' the Hood for example. I think a "token mexican" or a "token black guy" is more rasist than having all white cast in a film.
                      The fact is this should be full of Japanese no-namers, it's like having Spiderman as a black kid all over again. I like black people, but I wouldn't like a black Spiderman (not that I like Spiderman that much anyway). How about a black Superman? Or a black Batman? It'd be a ****ing bad joke. I'd direct this myself if I had the cash. All the script, screenplay, and cinematography is practically already done. It just needs people like me and Bash to stand there and make sure people do their jobs right or else they get a ****ing slap and told how to do it the right way. It also needs a full on collaboration of all the main CG firms to be able to pull off the effects, mainly Neo-Tokyo and the metamorphosis segments. I'd prefer some old-school techniques bringing back like 1:20 scale models of Neo-Tokyo being built by miniature and fibre-optic lighting wizards. Imagine what a team 100 times the size of the one that worked on the Bladerunner city-scapes thirty years on could achieve today. Tetsuo would need CGing up massively though. After that all we'd need is a soundtrack.

Seriously, if I had $1.5 billion this is the first thing I'd spend it on. Why is it all the IDIOTS have the money to **** stuff up with? It pisses me off!!

Comment

I think you missunderstood me Dave, I agree with you. I was talking in general about this whole ridiculous thing about people saying a film with a white cast is "rasist" or other rubbish. Movies should respect the original material. I want japanese (or at least asian) people to play them (Kaneda & Tetsuo), although this film is definitely going to be in English and it's going to suck no matter what they do. I don't want a black James Bond either or a white guy playing Miyamoto Musashi in a movie.

Comment

I want to see DataDave's $1.5 Billion opus!

I also want to make the effort to get Akira on my Kindle...

Comment

Spiderman *is* black at the moment in the Ultimate comics line.

Comment

Yeah and he doesn't look right.

Thats mainly to do with the fact that spiderman has always been Peter Parker though, we are use to seeing him as a geeky white journalist, he always has been in the many iterations of him over the last 50 years.

Having a black Nick Fury seemed work though, and that's maybe because he's not as iconic as Peter Parker are as result his image was easier to replace.

I don't think the characters in Akira are iconic looking, many people in the mainstream audiences that will see the live action film will have never experienced the source material. They can all be multicoloured aliens for all many will care. Doesn't alter the fact that the live action adaptation still sounds rubbish though.

Comment

Working...
                              X