No announcement yet.

Akira

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warner Bros. Pictures is still reportedly pursuing its plans for a live-action film adaptation of the classic manga “Akira” and its famed 1988 anime film. The likes of Ruairi Robinson, Albert Hughes and Jaume Collet-Serra have been attached as director whilst Garret Hedlund, Ken Watanabe, Kristen Stewart, Toby Kebbell and Helena Bonham Carter have all […]

Warner Bros won't let this die it seems and has now tasked the current showrunner of Daredevil to write a script for the adaptation... only this time as the first in a trilogy. Also, apparently Christopher Nolan is somehow connected to the adaptation.

Comment

I don't need this at all but we might get some pretty visuals from it.

Comment

I would love someone to do an animation of the original, in its entirety, in the original style (or perhaps in the style of FREEDOM, as that was similar & modern).

I bet if a major studio committed to a trilogy they could manage it.

Comment

2019 and Neo-Tokyo is about to E.X.P.L.O.D.E.
          This is the most recent bit of news I could find:

"On the cusp of releasing Thor: Ragnarok for Marvel, Taika Waititi was recently linked to the longstanding Akira movie. And while he's stopped far short of confirming his role in the project, he has talked a bit about what he might do with Akira if he did step into the director's role.

"I love the movie, but I would not do a remake of the movie," the filmmaker said, referring to the classic 1988 anime feature. "I would do an adaptation of the books."

In his interview with IGN, Waititi went on to explain that, rather than go for a cast of bankable Hollywood leads, he'd take the approach of hiring relative unknowns:

"Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me," Waititi said. "I mean, sort of untound, untapped talent.""

However, here's a lovely interview with Katsuhiro Otomo:
          For most people outside of Japan, Akira is probably their first contact with manga and anime. The original manga is an epic work and the movie is arguably one of the finest animated films ever made. So it seemed entirely necessary to meet up with the creator Katsuhiro Otomo and discuss his work.

“In terms of Kaneda's bike in Akira, the initial inspiration was the lightcycles from Tron designed by Syd Mead. However, they are wide, so I halved them and used that as an initial basis.”

Comment

They still shouldn't bother with this, it'd flop so hard. I'm surprised they keep pursuing projects like this despite the long broken path of failures that continues to grow.

Comment

I mainly posted for the Otomo interview, but thought I should give an update on the movie, at least!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                "I love the movie, but I would not do a remake of the movie," the filmmaker said, referring to the classic 1988 anime feature. "I would do an adaptation of the books."
                I think this is the way to go. That being said, I always felt that the original movie was one of the best adaptations, purely in terms of visual style, that we've ever seen in the comics-to-animation medium (Persephone comes close). It just is the comic, but in colour and moving.

The issues came purely from the way they had to slice down the story in order to get it into a reasonable run-time. I think that today, with modern streaming networks and such, it'd be great to see Akira done in that style, but the entire work. The whole manga, from start to end. It doesn't have to be slavish; I mean they can rearrange some of the events for pacing if necessary and take advantage of the change in medium, but it should be as close to the source material as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                  "Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me," Waititi said. "I mean, sort of untound, untapped talent."
                  Let's hope that's never taken out of context.

Comment

The long-gestating live-action Hollywood adaptation of Katsuhiro Otomo’s iconic six-book manga and 1988 anime film “Akira” took a big step towards reality today. The California Film Commission has announced that the Leonardo DiCaprio-produced project from Warner Bros. will shoot in California and receive an $18.5 million tax credit – by far the biggest of the […]

These adaptation keep stumbling at the box office but they also keep on coming. Akira now has a shooting location, California. Seem off? That's because the film is set in New Manhattan rather than Neo Tokyo

Comment

Where is that picard facepalm image when I need it...

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                        http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-new-...in-california/

These adaptation keep stumbling at the box office but they also keep on coming. Akira now has a shooting location, California. Seem off? That's because the film is set in New Manhattan rather than Neo Tokyo

Comment

Funny that the very first post of this thread has it in Manhattan too, back in 2011. The more things change...

Comment

They need to hurry up because in 2019, Neo-Tokyo New Manhattan is about to E X P L O D E !

Comment

Taika Waititi will direct Akira

After well over a decade in development, Warner Bros. Pictures looks to be finally getting their live-action “Akira” adaptation in front of the cameras. The studio has set a May 21st 2021 release date for the project, going up against a fourth “John Wick” film. They also confirm that “Thor: Ragnarok” and “Hunt for the […]

The film has set a release date of 21 May 2021, the same day as John Wick: Chapter Four... idiots... the idiots!

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                                Taika Waititi will direct Akira
                                Cool! This will be hilarious!

Comment

Working...
                                X