No announcement yet.

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: Didn't know old Aldous was a fellow forumite, particularly enjoyed his First Play thread on Fight Night Round 2.

Comment

His spirit is always with us, as are his ideas.

Getting back to Black Mirror, I turned it off after 20 minutes. I'm guessing the programme was a commentary on how technology is addictive and leading us astray from our real lives, away from what is real and true and good (I don't know because, like I said, I soon switched over) but I found the main character silly. Yes, losing loved ones is sad, but death is an intrinsic part of life - indeed the only thing that is guaranteed, and to not accept it or learn how to deal with it by adulthood shows an inability to understand the ebb and flow of life, the four seasons, and reality of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
        His spirit is always with us, as are his ideas.

Getting back to Black Mirror, I turned it off after 20 minutes. I'm guessing the programme was a commentary on how technology is addictive and leading us astray from our real lives, away from what is real and true and good (I don't know because, like I said, I soon switched over) but I found the main character silly. Yes, losing loved ones is sad, but death is an intrinsic part of life - indeed the only thing that is guaranteed, and to not accept it or learn how to deal with it by adulthood shows an inability to understand the ebb and flow of life, the four seasons, and reality of everything.
        You must accept death to understand it, surely you cannot expect everyone on the planet to accept death in the same way? So many influences in our lives dictate how we deal with death. Cultural influences influence the way in which we accept death. This program was about how with technology can someone really die when their digital finger print can be turned into a digital self? Can we let truly let them go if we can constantly read their digital ghosts left on social websites and forums?

If my wife died would I seek out all her emails since we were 18? would I go through her face book? or would I follow what was said in the many books I have read and accept such is the way of this flesh and blood existence? That bridge is not welcome, not for a long time yet.

Comment

I've long believed the best way to deal with death is to celebrate their lives and be thankful of the moments you shared with them. I must admit I've yet to lose anyeone who was very, very close to me so, despite believing I would react with grace and pragmatism, I don't know for certain.

But I do find mankind's fear and rejection of death, the way the dying cling on to life, the way the living cling to the dead, strange. Nothing lasts. I think we need to accept that with wisdom because far from making life awful and painful it encourages us to delight in the time we are given.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
            I've long believed the best way to deal with death is to celebrate their lives and be thankful of the moments you shared with them. I must admit I've yet to lose anyeone who was very, very close to me so, despite believing I would react with grace and pragmatism, I don't know for certain.
            This is it. I am in the same boat. Should they live a long and fruitful live then yes, celebration and reflection on the good times. Should they be taken by a car accident or raped then throat slit only for the culprit to get off..........well death does not become as straight forward as you suggest.

So may factors, so many influences. Who can know what we would do and if a part of us would die after a sudden death or be energized by celebration of a timely death.

Anyway. A thought provoking program, evidently!

Comment

I believe it's quality, not quantity, of life that matters. I think it was Marcus Aurelius who said it is not death that man should fear, but never beginning to live. Whether we live but a day or a hundred years, if our lives were mostly happy then it was a good life. If someone is raped and has their throat slit, it's but a moment, albeit an awful moment, in their life.

The way we react to things in in our power. If we regard a sudden death as terrible and beyond our repose, it is only because we will it so. I think the simple Buddhist doctrine of loving without attachment is a perfect example of how we can accept death calmly, and let things go, while remaining warm and loving.

Comment

I watched it tonight and enjoyed it, but it's all a bit far-fetched.

They all are though, I guess. They're less sci-fi than The Twilight Zone, so I'm less forgiving.

Well worth watching, and there's nothing else like it on telly at the moment, so it needs to be encouraged.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post

Yes I do.
                  Jobs Worth, think of something constructive to say rather than dissecting SPG, something intelligent, something worth reading or perhaps let a glimmer of humour shine through. Perhaps your persona doesn't expand that far, content on misery and ridiculing others? I pity the fool.

Comment

I thought this was amazing. I have thought about, and led debates in class, about this exact subject.

Bloody love Charlie Brooker.

Comment

Last night's Black Mirror was quite dark and disturbing. Won't say any more than that incase of spoilers. Worth watching.

Comment

I thought I had it sussed last night but was wrong. Disturbing episode because you could believe it may come true.

Comment

Erm, was OK, that's about it. Just an idea nicked from Derren Brown with an added 'futuristic twist'. Could not see the main conceit being workable, again this just reminded me of yet another stoner idea expanded out to fill an hour of telly. One thing I liked was the way it seemed to pay homage to

Resi 4, what with the little town full of weirdoes, the masked 'assassins', and the lush, autumnal foresty bit with the bodies chained up to trees etc.

Still, different enough to anything else at the mo to make it worth watching but hope the next is a tad better.

Comment

Well that didn't take long.

Services such as LivesOn and DeadSocial plan to keep your friends and family updated on your Twitter and Facebook pages, even after you have passed away

Comment

That's really quite spooky!

None of the episodes in this are perfect but I'm still really enjoying it. It's like a well made concept video a company would make to try and sell to a studio- rough around the edges but with some great ideas and hasn't been muted by studio execs trying to get it to appeal to more people!

Or er...something along those lines. I like it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                                Digital persona's will be helping police soon enough. Little jimmy ran away, where would he go I wonder? lets ask his Digital soul.

Next stop, guessing what you will do before you do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X