Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's got a point.

Comment

Shame he doesn't feel he needs to stop ruining the Indy legacy too.

Comment

Hand the star wars franchise over to me, I'll look after it. If I made a film it would at least be better than phantom menace and there'd be one of this EU new jedi order and legacy nonsense.

Comment

At least he's listening to the fans for once and doing the right thing by f**king off. I'm a big Star Wars fan but I've always hated Lucas, the best things about Empire and Jedi are him not directing them.

Everything he directs is ****e, even A New Hope.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
            I'm a big Star Wars fan but I've always hated Lucas
            Isn't this a bit of a ridiculous statement?

Comment

I don't know. I love The Smiths but still think Morrissey is a bit of a gob****e.

Comment

I love Star Wars and hate Lucas. I don't think it's oxymoronic.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
                  Isn't this a bit of a ridiculous statement?
                  I do find the hatred of Lucas quite ridiculous. How anyone can "hate" him is beyond me. You may dislike his intentions, you may dislike the changes, but Hate? That's a strong word guys!!

I give him the benefit of the doubt. He created Star Wars. It's his creation, his to do as he pleases. I may be sad about it, but there you go.

Comment

Yep, without Lucas these franchises wouldn't exist, so to hate him is daft. BUT, to watch what he's done to them is hard to stomach. I'd love to see new star wars or indy stuff, only if they don't go mad with all the crayons in the CGI toy box, build real sets like the old days FFS. The original movies still look brilliant, the added CGI stuff in them looks absolutely ****e. I look at some of the stuff that's been built for prometheus and think, yeah, that's the way to go.

Comment

I hate Lucas too. Genuinely. I'd kick him down a flight of stairs if I saw him

He "created" Star Wars, but if he'd been allowed free creative reign then the first film would have been terrible. It was saved by the actors, who forced script changes through, ad libbed and generally did their best with some terrible writing, and the special effects people who took Lucas' vague ideas and solidified them into something fantastic. Everything Lucas has touched since has been utter pish. The prequels are awe inspiringly bad. The Crystal Skull is toxic. He had a small amount of talent, and while there were people with the guts to stand up to him and say "George, that's ****" things just about worked, once that faded away and he had no constraints then the results were as breathtakingly terrible as they could be.

Comment

If you made a list of the good stuff Lucas has done you could probably break them down to show how he wasn't responsible for them being good

Solid chunks of Star Wars were stolen and Indy's strengths mainly are due to Speilberg rather than Lucas. Lucas was incredibly lucky in Star Wars hitting a nerve at the right time and being able to retain the rights. His drive for technology, whilst bad from a filmmaking point in his own films, has led to great things (especially him convincing Speilberg to use CG in Jurassic Park) but mostly it's dumb luck. If Star Wars was made and released today I don't doubt it'd be panned.

Comment

Originally posted by crazytaxinext View Post
                          If Star Wars was made and released today I don't doubt it'd be panned.
                          When it was Originally released it was panned. Didn't alter the fact that it was a massive hit though.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                            I do find the hatred of Lucas quite ridiculous. How anyone can "hate" him is beyond me. You may dislike his intentions, you may dislike the changes, but Hate? That's a strong word guys!!

I give him the benefit of the doubt. He created Star Wars. It's his creation, his to do as he pleases. I may be sad about it, but there you go.
                            Yeah the anti Lucas crowd seem to forget that HE made Star wars. I know the revisionist history says that every good part was nothing to do with him but its simply not true. He worked with a strong team and produced 3 excellent films. If I got to meet him I'd gladly shake his hand and thank him for that.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalcade View Post
                              I hate Lucas too. Genuinely. I'd kick him down a flight of stairs if I saw him

He "created" Star Wars, but if he'd been allowed free creative reign then the first film would have been terrible. It was saved by the actors, who forced script changes through, ad libbed and generally did their best with some terrible writing, and the special effects people who took Lucas' vague ideas and solidified them into something fantastic. Everything Lucas has touched since has been utter pish. The prequels are awe inspiringly bad. The Crystal Skull is toxic. He had a small amount of talent, and while there were people with the guts to stand up to him and say "George, that's ****" things just about worked, once that faded away and he had no constraints then the results were as breathtakingly terrible as they could be.
                              hahaha! Sounds like my Boss!
                              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
                                Yeah the anti Lucas crowd seem to forget that HE made Star wars. I know the revisionist history says that every good part was nothing to do with him but its simply not true. He worked with a strong team and produced 3 excellent films. If I got to meet him I'd gladly shake his hand and thank him for that.
                                Absolutely. EVERY creative decision, he had / has final say on. Got a great team together, inspired them to create and invent things.

Sure, he may not be a great writer, but Star Wars is from his mind. No Lucas, no Star Wars. No Star Wars, the internet wouldn't have as much to bitch about. Sigh.

The Revisionist History is, tbh, a self serving diet of hatred. The Dark Side, if you will People don't seem to know that Lucas had total control over everything in their beloved Ep5. Storyboards, it all went through him. Ultimate say. He simply didn't want the day to day hassle of dealing with actors, lol

Then you get people talking crap about how Lucas "sold out" by putting teddybears into Ep6 instead of "the original idea of Wookies". If those people had one iota of brain power they'd realise that Wookies would be an incredibly stupid idea. Why? Because if you were able to build a Death Star anywhere in the galaxy, and you wanted a remote planet for both construction and to set a trap, you would not put a shield generator on a moon populated with 8 feet tall hostile creatures!

Ah, gotta love fanboys and their need for every film to be Dark(er).

I love Star Wars. And I'm even quite keen on the prequels. Anyone who "hates" them needs to get over themselves. There's a lot of good stuff in there. Sure, Lucas needed a better writer, and definitely a more vocal editor, but there is some good stuff Pod Race (1 lap too long though), Darth Maul fight, Jango Fett vs Kenobi, rescue of Palpatine (the opening of Ep 3 is ****ing awesome, if you can ignore one or two naff bits), Kenobi vs Grievous, Kenobi vs Vadar. Ep3 also has some powerful emotional parts if you buy into the story.

It also makes me laugh how EVERYONE knows how Lucas runs his company and subsequently knows better than him. May I suggest those people, clearly more imaginative and talented than Lucas, go out and create their own mega popular universe and a film that changes cinema....
                                Last edited by Matt; 21-01-2012, 02:23.

Comment

Working...
                                X