No announcement yet.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a damn good post Matt. Well said.

Comment

Also why doesn't anyone talk about the good things Hitler did?

Too far?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
        Also why doesn't anyone talk about the good things Hitler did?

Too far?
        Thankfully I know you're joking

But you are correct. The word "Hate" should be reserved for truly despicable individuals.

Comment

I am joking of course and it's a somewhat ridiculous application of Godwins Law but, for me, I guess there's a grain of a point buried in there and it is just a personal one which is that Lucas has made things I have thought were so cringeworthingly poor, shown me that the man he is now has no clue about storytelling and only compounded that with interviews (including his Igor*) that it has removed all good will from his earlier (undoubtedly stunning) achievements. They no longer matter. I can't even enjoy the old Star Wars movies any more.

*McCallum

But I agree that 'hate' is a very strong word and should probably not be thrown out lightly. For me, it's not hate. I just think the man he is today is completely misguided or rubbish or something, made all the more sad by his previous achievements and everything he gave the world.

Comment

I do find it sad many people can't enjoy Star Wars these days. I don't just put that down to the changes and prequels though. People get older, and what were once really important for people growing up may not have the same relevance later in life.

Plus of course it's cool to Hate Lucas, slam Ewoks, and say Lucas "sold out". It's what all the cool kidz on da internetz do.

Comment

For me, it is entirely down to the changes and prequels and very little else. There are tons of other (often worse) movies that I still enjoy just as much as when I was a kid and even later sequels I've enjoyed (like Tron Legacy - not exactly a perfect film itself) that show, yes, you can go back. Can't speak for anyone else of course but, for me, yes it is the prequels and changes that totally soured the Star Wars experience.

Comment

I can watch the original trilogy without even a thought about the prequels. They just don't seem connected to me. I like all of them except ep1. Lucas has his faults but his accomplishments outweigh them easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  For me, it is entirely down to the changes and prequels and very little else. There are tons of other (often worse) movies that I still enjoy just as much as when I was a kid and even later sequels I've enjoyed (like Tron Legacy - not exactly a perfect film itself) that show, yes, you can go back. Can't speak for anyone else of course but, for me, yes it is the prequels and changes that totally soured the Star Wars experience.
                  100% in agreement with this.

The original trilogy was a huge part of my childhood. I loved those movies and almost wore out the poor VHS tapes they were on. Bought the toys, the comics and even chose Pepsi over Cola whenever they had a Star Wars image on the wrapper. By not long I knew the movies intimately. So watching the new movies where the moments I loved deeply have changed into something else (usually something really dumb), is actually painful to me. It's like looking through photos of your deceased sister only somebody has written "whore" and "****" all over her. And when George Lucas knows so bloody well that what everybody wants is the original trilogy released on a relevant format (I would even take DVD if the movies where anamorphic) and refuses to give us that, I think hate is a reasonable feeling to have towards the man.

Comment

The original movies are quite "dumb" as well. You simply saw them as a child.

Comment

Yeah, but the changes make them even dumber.

Comment

How? Really, the changes aren't that significant. Lots of cosmetic stuff. Some of the new "comedy" is dumb, but I'm sure I'd of laughed had those bits been in the first version I saw in 1977.

Comment

I'm sorry, there are loads of articles out on the internet pointing out the dumbness of the changes, so I'm afraid I have to turn down the chance to have this discussion for the umpteenth time.

Here is however a load of other blokes talking about them: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ro...rwars-changes/
                          I doubt you could change their minds simply telling them the movies already were dumb, or that they were seen as kids.

Comment

Matt, that's fine. You think that, cool. For some of us, we once loved the movies and they have been completely soured. It's that simple. It's not about us having seen them as kids. You can have a different opinion of the movies of course but please don't try to tell us we don't actually think what we think.

Comment

I'm not. I neither understand why people get their knickers in such a twist over this, nor do I understand why if people hate it soooo much they continue to recite the same crap every single time a Star Wars thread pops up.

I also firmly believe that these "oh no changes!" would have been just fine with you guys had they been there originally.

All I see and hear whenever people talk about Star Wars these days is hatred and nonsense. You fellas are welcome to ruin the films for yourself - I genuinely believe people have ruined the films for themselves far more than Lucas. If you can't still sit down and enjoy them I honestly think it's a sad thing, because Star Wars is still a very enjoyable cinematic experience. And it is your loss

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                                Here is however a load of other blokes talking about them: http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/ro...rwars-changes/
                                I doubt you could change their minds simply telling them the movies already were dumb, or that they were seen as kids.
                                Am I trying to change anyone's mind? Please. This is the internet. That would be a waste of time.

That article made me laugh. Yes, I don't like some of these changes, so we're clear on that. But everyone thinks they know better than Lucas, and frankly, they don't. A group of angry fanboys all getting together to scream LUCAS SUCKS. It's very easy to knock the accomplishment of others.

I'm also quite interested in the notion of a film as an ongoing development, it's very interesting to see where it was, and where it ends.

Comment

Working...
                                X